All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Pimp your pump for Contra 17
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:53 am 
Frequent Poster

In adition to always treating my pump very carefully I finally found a good purpose for the 3rd hose fitting which comes with the Cabrinha stock pump (I never understood its purpose).
until all tubes are fully inflated I am using the large diameter nozzle and double stroke mode. it really is only about half the resistance compared to the normal inflation technique. than I quickly remove the nozzle, screw in the large valve and finish the rest using the screw on hose end. for the last high pressure pumping I can switch my pump to downstroke only mode (I bought this pump last year at walmart and it is basically the same pump as cab etc, except it has a small valve on top which can be opened to do only downstroke.... I use this top part on the normal cabrinha pump :bye:
andreas

Attachments:
File comment: 2 gear pump top
hosec.jpg
hosec.jpg [ 49.36 KIB | Viewed 4216 times ]
File comment: large bore inflation
hoseb.jpg
hoseb.jpg [ 113.64 KIB | Viewed 4215 times ]
File comment: plastic tube
hosea.jpg
hosea.jpg [ 126.9 KIB | Viewed 4209 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

My Scoprega BST12 electric pump is supposed to use a turbine to inflate the kite quickly, then at higher pressure it switches to a piston compressor.
It does this with the Slingshot kites, but with the Cabrinha non-return valve, it starts on the piston compressor due to the back pressure caused by the valve, which backs up what you say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice one Andreas.
A good tip for easyer inflation.
nico

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 pm 
Medium Poster

What did you make the clear plastic out of? Does it fit snug with no or minimal air leaks? I'd like to do this also for my Cabrinha pump and retrofit on my electric pump. I'm manually holding the electric pump now and I'd like to just set it up and then walk away and setup my lines.

Post subject: Re: Pimp your pump for Contra 17
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

kruzlifix wrote:
for the last high pressure pumping I can switch my pump to downstroke only mode (I bought this pump last year at walmart and it is basically the same pump as cab etc, except it has a small valve on top which can be opened to do only downstroke.... I use this top part on the normal cabrinha pump :bye:
andreas

The new Cab pump has this valve...make the last bit so much easier!!

:thumb:

Post subject: save ya pumping for ya girls
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:34 am 
Medium Poster

real men bring there converted dive tanks to the beach.

Attachments:
File comment: can pump up about 10 16m kites with 3000 pounds of psi in tank.
air tank1.jpg
air tank1.jpg [ 163.68 KIB | Viewed 3475 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:03 am 
Frequent Poster

Steve Martin wrote:
What did you make the clear plastic out of? Does it fit snug with no or minimal air leaks? I'd like to do this also for my Cabrinha pump and retrofit on my electric pump. I'm manually holding the electric pump now and I'd like to just set it up and then walk away and setup my lines.

hi steve
it is just a piece of plastic PU tubing which fits snuggly around the hose part and you can easily insert it into the large diameter threads of the front tube. even if it is not airtight you can pump the kite up almost to the end pressure....

headwound wrote:
real men bring there converted dive tanks to the beach.

yes. this is great, I was using it in bonaire, but the problem is .... traveling with airplane these days.... the security regulations are so tight that you cannot take your dive tank as carry on handbagage..... and you re check in weight allowance is already reached by having 2 kites and one or tow boards....
andreas
PS: wow, the new CAB pumps have the special valve on top? slowly but surely they improve! May be soon we will also get a decent leash safety system!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:23 pm 
Medium Poster

pumps? we don't need no stinkin' pumps...

onboard air compressor. ah, life is good.

i doesn't go overseas too easily, but it sure is nice for local trips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:37 pm 
Medium Poster

sperry wrote:
onboard air compressor. ah, life is good.

i doesn't go overseas too easily, but it sure is nice for local trips.

Hey could you give us some details on the compressor? Maybe even some pictures?
Does it work with 12v? What`s the max pressure (bars) it can handle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:26 am 
Medium Poster

The compressor currently installed is designed to be fitted onto vehicles to inflate air shocks. It is a 12v system and wires directly to the vehicles electrical system. I have equipped the system with a 2.5 gal air tank. The current compressor is a light-duty compressor that is getting removed within the next day or so.

I have a higher capacity compressor to replace it. The original is only rated at 20% duty cycle at, I think, 50psi working pressure. This is not very good for inflating tires. It is enough for inflating kites, but that is not all I use it for.

I have a replacement (pictured below) that I will be installing which is 100% duty cycle at 100psi. This should be enough to handle reinflating my tires as well as my kites - and anyone else's on the beach.

Here is the new compressor...

Here are some shots of the install under the truck.

You can see a pressure valve (two wires going in) that automatically turns the compressor on when the tank drops to 90psi. It turns off when the pressure reaches 120psi and maintians that pressure. There are no manual switches in the cab of the truck to operate.

The tank is mounted just outside of the frame out of the way.

Air source at rear of truck.

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next