Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Blade , Griffin, 997 , Bang, Mystic , Skywalker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Griffin Flat Kite

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:14 pm

We received delivery of a 12m Griffin Kite by Monkey kites yesterday. I managed to blag off work for a few hours for a meeting. Strange how i came back smelling of saltwater.

First impressions, the monkey bag looks better and with everything on it. A few zip pockets, and 2 huge side pockets for bar & Lines and pump. They also have included some board straps, and a new black and white colour scheme which all looks pretty sleek.

Once inflated the kite looked very impressive (black and red), and the new panel lay out looks very solid. My understanging is that it will make the kite stronger on impact, but it's something i dont pretend to know much about. All materials and stitching look very well put together, and all the usuall double cross over stitching, trailing edge reinforcements, strut guardsand sectioned leading edge are there which give the kite a good build quality.

Set up was easy, with no adjustments or tweeks needed. The griffin uses a 4 line system which is simple, and effective. There are pullys on the bridle, and on the bar, but they come preset for immediate use.

Once up the kite felt a little strange as the wind was gusting over 30knots, and i was holding a 12m, but i wasn't getting much pull. Convinced something wasn't right, i walked down to the water anyway (prob not the best move). On the first attempt i went no-where, but i hardly sent the kite. Normally with a 12m in those conditions I would be very cautious of sending the kite too hard. On attempt 2 though i sent it a bit harder and was away. Dispite the gusty condtions i felt very comfortable very quickly. I could see local windsurfers having trouble , but i felt like i was constantly flying in the kites sweet spot. I felt no fear from the gusts (normally i hate gusty wind), and the kite was sitting steady as the sun (again i stress even in really gusty winds). I attempted a few backloops and transitions (about my limit) and performed them with ease. When jumping , the kite just seems to go huge. The turning speed is very fast, and the kite is fast when flying through the window, so it all made for bigger jumps.

The depower works on a cleat system, and is very simple, and reliable. The quick release is on the chicken loop, and again uses a simple pull and release.

I would like to see a one pump inflation system, but have heard that this can create extra drag and affect performance. If thats the case, i would just leave it, but if it could be done without affecting the perfomance it would be great to see.

All in all my this is the best kite i have ridden. I am yet to test the low end, but with the light winds due this weekend will be testing it very soon. If it is as impressive as the high end, i will be a very happy surfer.

One of our team riders was also using the griffin for about 3hrs. He is a lot more experinced than i and rides at a much higher level. I know he loved the kite and i will ask him to write a review for advanced riders.

As soon as i get the pics off the camera i will post them also

http://www.kitesurfwarehouse.com

kitemaster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Binnenschelde
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam
Style: having fun
Gear: Slingshot REV 9 + 13mtr
Airush protoy 135
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitemaster » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm

Sounds good, it's time that i order some. Does the bar look like this ?

If so, you can ride with and without the pulley's, did you try this ?

Grtz

Joop
http://www.bigairkitesurfing.nl
Attachments
bar.png
bar.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 8143 times

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:04 pm

yip thats the job.

Really nice bar. Simple and seems to work a treat

I manged to test the low end last night.

I made the mistake of moving the back lines up a notch, as i just thought i would need the extra power. The kite performed alright, considering every one was on 16m. Again the wind was up and down. Jumps were not very high, ad bar pressure was quite heavey. All in all i wasn't as impressed with the low end. The wind had built a bit a and some one was setting up a 13m tribe, so things were getting easier. I came in and move the lines back down a nothch (orignal setting that i was out in 30knots on), but by the time i was back out again the guy in the 13m was coming back in. The wind had dropped again. I went out anyway to try the low end with less tension on the back lines, and it was great. The kite was performing great, with the fast turing speed keeping the power on. The bar pressure was much lighter now , and the jumps excellent again.

Now after 2 days kiting with the griffin i have to say i'm very impressed. Theres no need for any adjustments when conditions change. Just use the depower if things pick up, or let it right out for light winds. The kite is Amazing in big winds. Im yet to try it in over 30knts , but as i felt so comfortable in 30knts, i'm sure it will take 35knts possible more. At 20knots its just as nice and once you drop down to 12knots, althought the bar pressure becomes a bit heavier its still very nice.

I'm feel that this is truely a one kite quiver, as it covers the range that a 9m, 12m and 16m would comfortably, and it still performs well in all ranges conditions. Once you get down to around 12knots you have to work it a bit, but even on a 16m this would be the case.

http://www.kitesurfwarehouse.com

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:53 pm

:)
sounds real nice
:)

did you try to change the bar from 2:1 to 1:1? how was the difference? :) if the kite performes well on 1:1 is it possible to fly it on any 4 line bar?

how about some pics/detail pics of the kite and the bar? videos?

greets :bye:

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:17 pm

:thumb:

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:37 am

Haven't tried with any new bar setups, ut pretty sure that it wont perform anywhere near as well with a normal 4 line set up. Will post pics soon.

After a weekend of demoing the grififin we managed to sell out. One of the guys who bought one posted a review on our local website. It was pretty up and down wind all day between 11- 17knots, and the 2 x 12m griffins were the only kites able to stay out comfortably all day,(but still had to be walked upwind sometimes as the even the 16m kites were having trouble) They were being swapped about kitesurfers. Some one had my demo kite, so i borrowed one that a customer only had just bought. The wind picked up nicely and the tide was in. Cleverly ,...I managed to impale is brand new kite onto a spiked wall. He was'nt too happy(so sorry), but we are of course lending him another griffin until his new one arrives. it is repairable thankfully though. Thats what i get for jumping to close to the shore when the tide is in.

Anyway he still mangaged to write this glowing review of the kite.

Company: Monkey kites
Size: 12m
Aspect Ratio: mid (i think)

Skill Level:
according to monkey kites: beginer/intermediate/expert!
im a novice and i found it extremely easy to grasp and progress with!
i also watched a few of the more talented rip upwind and throw off some
nice jumps + triple backrolls even at its bottom end! so most skill levels i
think should be covered.

Rider Weight:
im 80 Kg / 13 stone ish

Rider Ability (novice/intermediate/advanced):
im a Pure novice

Wind Conditions:
10-35 knots. or 11-22 knots for beginers! jus know ur limits i guess.
i had it out in 14-16mph wen people were on 15m/ 16m kites
and i was still powered. even on a 128 board. il post again wen i get the
griffin out at its (beginer) top end!

and rate the following characteristics of the kite (10 being best, 1 being the worst):

Performance:
10 altough i still needa master how to boost with a bow kite.

Handling:
10 if i said dance, it got me goin! i got feedback from the kite+ i enjoyed
the slightly stiffer bar pressure!

Durability:
9 i had the painfull experence of watchin one of these beautiful mythical
creatures get mashed rite on to a wall of ridiculously pointy rocks and
yet the leadin edge and struts were sound. it was just the foil that got
shreded, lesser kites would have been in 20 pieces!

Value for Money
10 it's the best kite iv flown and it's somehow an inexpensive one.

Overall
10 as i said it's the best kite iv flown! opinions may vary + i every1 looks
for different aspects in a kite. it's a very stable kite which is a pleasant
change from other bows iv flown.
easyily adjusted and well laid out depower system. huge wind
range. i still cant get over how much i enjoyed riding with the Griffin!
once again id like to say the griffin is an awesome kite+ it looks hot too!

kitesurfwarehouse
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfwarehouse » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 am

Here's those bar pics.

Really simple, and very effective. The depower is right in front of you, for easy adjustment. And the the quick release a very simple and safe velcro pull loop.

For unhooked moves the donkey dick just drops away as it is on a metal ring, but you can still keep it attached, which is handy if you dont want to go unhooked for your whole session.

"stephen anderson, one of our team riders , Boosting on the griffin". It was getting dark so they aren't the best pics.

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:59 pm

some detail pics:

2lazy2get1
Rare Poster

Amazin Kite

Postby 2lazy2get1 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:56 pm

kitsurfwarehouse already posted my review here but im just gonna post to confirm how sweet the kite is! the line setup works perfectly! the kite is very stable! its the most comfortable kite iv flown so i was able to concentrate on board control and start tricks, and as a result progressed faster in one session than in my last 5 sessions with other kites! it was such a fun kite to fly! and its wind range is huge! this is the closest we've got to a 1 kite quiver! :D

otte
Frequent Poster

Postby otte » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:01 am

some pictures taken in st-peter-ording while the pkra tourstop:

(pulleybar is selfmade)

:-?

:D

Return to “Reviews”