All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Review: Spleene RIP 128
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

(128cm x 38cm)

Ive been riding the rip 128 now for quite a few sessions in light (12 knots) to very hardcore winds (+45 knots). Funnily enough theres even a windrange printed on the board which in fact I surpassed by a large margine on the hardcore levante days at Tarifa.
The board at first feels quite loose and I usually prefer boards that will not budge out of its course, like the drive from best or the 666 from nobile. So it took about 3 good sessions until I was able to hold the edge nicely, even through chop. During that time I was convinced that larger fins (the rip comes with 4cm fins) would improve its grip but now I really enjoy the way you can make the board edge while keeping the loose feel.

Important note here: the footstraps can be moved further or closer apart - there are various screw inlets. I recommend to but it on a wider stance than what recommended on the board (its printed in terms of body height). I ride much better and very little water spraying in my face with the wider stance although Im only 1.72cm tall and the stance I use is for taller guys.

The flex tips are good at keeping your line in the chop and are great when popping off for a jump. The board is supposedly only flexing at the tips but when you bend it through at the center, it does bend slightly in the middle. Whether thats a bad thing, i dont know but I can tell you that the board is great on my knees and has survived many bad kiteloop landings without braking in half.
The footstraps are definately the best I ever had. Adjustable in every imaginable way and even the top part of the strap can be moved left or right so that the toes dont get squashed between end of strap and footpad.
What I dont like so much is that after the 2nd session I saw slight rust around the fin screws. That might not be the screws themselves, often its tiny iron splinters that were stuck on the magnetic screwdriver when I put the fins on. Not sure on that one but it can be cleaned easily anyway with a bit of alcohol.

Overall great board for pretty much any condition and definately rideable beyond its recommended wind range :)

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 [ 1 post ]