All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Spleen Session 41: Awesome
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm 
Frequent Poster

Well, after using flat plywoods for years (I'm the guy who posted the "Light Wind Plywood Board" plans a couple of years back). I finally decided get a Session 41. This board seemed to have most of the positive qualities of the plywood with the added benefit of bomber construction and very light weight. For reference: I am 155lbs and the comments refer to flat and choppy water conditions.

What a great board!!! This is the closest thing to a one board quiver I have used and what a great ride. Excellent control and endless range. It plains easily in light wind and is loads of fun when fully powered. I was out on a Venom 16 in 24mph winds the the board was very solid. Earlier I was out on the same kite in 10-12 mph winds and easily stayed up wind. The flexible tips made the board perform very well in chop and improved the landing feel of jumps. I was also tacking further up wind than I have ever done before. I used it for some downwind runs and had no trouble with catching the tip (there is about 1/2" of rocker).

I used the board with and without fins. For me finless was the best. The very thin rails provided very tight yaw control from the edge and the lack of fins made transitions effortless and exciting. Iv'e been riding finless for some time now so others may find the fins more useful.

My favorite plywood board will probably get much less use now but it is still the best for the really light stuff..probably due to it's lack of any rocker. If you use and like plywood boards and want a tougher lighter version with better performance when powered you may want to look into this one. Actually this recommendation applies regardless of the boards you currently use.

Thanks Rainer :lol:

Chris
:lol:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I tried it too and liked it a lot. Specially for heavy weight in lighter winds it works well, but is not sooo big like the door.
The Door will give you a bit more lowend, but the Session is a good compromise to size and lowend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

I love that board to - I'm always moochin it off friends in SD - The biggest jumps I've gotten were on that board - I think its cause its so much faster than anything I ride

Post subject: The Session is awesome, indeed...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:40 am 
Frequent Poster

The Session is awesome, indeed...:thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

I think the Session is going to be my next board. Like the Door, all I read about is very happy customers.

Although, if someone has had negative experiences with their Session, I would love to hear about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

unfortunately I never had a chance to ride the Session or the Door, last year I made my first plywood board from screven plans ... it was awesome, but unfortunately, they just broke to easily and I went through four of them in one season... this year I picked up a slingshot glide 149 .. and I can tell you that it's been awesome. Once I learned how to finally land jumps off this board .. I would say that the board manufacturers have really jumped on some of the best attributes of the standard plywood board. The other day a friend of mine let me try his Nobel board .. and it felt very similar to my glide, with better tracking.. the bottom line is it looks like the board manufacturers are finally getting it... the new snowboard technology that goes into making these boards will see boards with more pop and higher ranges over the next year... it's an exciting time to be getting into the sport for people... the equipment, kites, boards and accessories. Just keep getting better and better....

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:19 pm 
Frequent Poster

Airtime wrote:
unfortunately I never had a chance to ride the Session or the Door, last year I made my first plywood board from screven plans ... it was awesome, but unfortunately, they just broke to easily and I went through four of them in one season... this year I picked up a slingshot glide 149 .. and I can tell you that it's been awesome. Once I learned how to finally land jumps off this board .. I would say that the board manufacturers have really jumped on some of the best attributes of the standard plywood board. The other day a friend of mine let me try his Nobel board .. and it felt very similar to my glide, with better tracking.. the bottom line is it looks like the board manufacturers are finally getting it... the new snowboard technology that goes into making these boards will see boards with more pop and higher ranges over the next year... it's an exciting time to be getting into the sport for people... the equipment, kites, boards and accessories. Just keep getting better and better....

Cheers

The Glide was based on my friends plywood. He lives on S. Padre and John Doyle, who spends his spring there testing equipment, used his board as the template for the Glide. Great board. I didn't know they made a 149. I thought the smaller one was a 159. I considered it but it won't fit into my NSI bag for air travel. From the reports I get it has a bit more low end that the Session but struggles a bit when really powered.

Sorry your plywoods broke. I never broke one but I'm only 155lbs which is pretty easy on the board. One thing that really works to strengthen them is to epoxy two flat carbon battons between the feet at 1/4 and 3/4 between the edges, on both the top and bottom of the board (lined up). Then put some fiberglass cloth overlapping the carbon strips. This strengthens the board a lot but the added stiffness may decrease the range somewhat.

Chris

Post subject: Spleen Session 41
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:42 pm 
Medium Poster

I recieved an 07 Spleen sessions 41 recently and have had the opportunity to ride 4 days with it since. Conditions have been 10-30+knots and varied from super glassy flat protected condiitons to 2-3 ft. chop.

In short, this board is awsome, now my favorite board.

I have previously been ridden Liquid FOrce Drops, and WLF's. Lightwave FR2, Gasstra, Underground FLX, Cabrinha, and aggression boards.

This board goes and tracks upwind like nothing on the water. I often find myself riding downwind because it goes upwind too well and can often get 2 jumps per tack.

The fin placment is smart.

It would take about 8 tacks on my lightwave or LF Drop for what now takes 1-2 tacks and the board seems effortless to ride.

It's super fast for a wide board and stable at fast speeds.

Low end for me at 165 lbs is about 10-12 knots. For my girlfriend at 125 lbs, it's about 8-10 knots.

Only complaint I can think of is that when riding at just the right angle against chop, I get occasional spray in the face more than other boards. (but not much, if any, spray on the legs)

Thanks rainer @ spleen, this board rocks. I am going to buy another one because my girlfriend and I would fight over who gets to ride it otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:46 pm 
Medium Poster

Forgot to mention..the bindings are the nicest I have ever used as well. Extremely confortable and very easy to adjust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:48 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yea I noticed that splash too. The spray comes from the forward rail fin. Try riding it finless. Spray problem solved and much more fun riding. It takes an hour or so to get it dialed in but once you do it's hard to go back. You also get a bit more low end.

Chris

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next