All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: R6 16m-surprised by an older kite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:40 am 
Frequent Poster

Backround--I have a Caution Answer 16 and often ride my neighbors Crossbow 16. They're both nice kites. I've owned and ridden North, Flexifoil, Slingshot and Naish c-kites since 2002.

Anyway, i bought the R6 16 on ebay on whim-cheap. I know, c-kites are dead. So, i pull the kite out of the bag and it looks tiny. Wind reading 8-10 mphs. Still, want to i give it a go. Lots of people on the beach watching, Girls everywhere. The only spot to launch is in front on three beach front restaurants, full with people watching. High stakes embarassment factor for a messed-up self- launch.

So i trim the kite as best as i can (I've got lots of fifth line experience) and prepare for an ill-advised, self-launch. No bystanders to hit, but my kites lying of the rip-rap protecting the restaurants. Kite goes up and looks trimmed perfectly. Luck. Weird part is, for a square tipped kite, its looks like in has rounded tips. Not like a crossbow, but how you'd expect a Vegas to look. Must be those weird ribs. Take off on my skim and this kite is killer, fast and reliable even though it looks tiny in the air. Like a 12. Ride for two hours and at one point come out of the loop and have a hard time pulling the kite in overdrive back into the harness. I must be powered is my thinking. Try a custom lite wind board and it goes well. Also try a 130 TT and not even close to enough power. Anyway that kite was so good. I'll still try the bows, but this kite blew me away.

Still surprised how good this kite was. Kind of shocked by how hard such a small could pull.

Wes

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 [ 1 post ]