All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Review Naish Boxer SLE 9.0 2007
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Review for Naish Boxer SLE 2007 9.0

Times tested: 6-10
Range: 14kn to kn

Good: For me the biggest pro, in addition to the obvious advantages that SLE's have, is its fast stable turning and it's no fluttering and the fact that it doesn't seem to want to invert if you throw it and depower at the same time like some other kites I have tested. Combining this with its flat water abilities of jumping, depower, it's fast turning, and super stability. This is a high performance kite, and it will give me MANY ecstatic hours on the water.

Bad: If there was one thing I would wish for then it would be to have an expandable mesh for the kite so I can leave the struts inflated. However because the kite has the octopus system this is not a major concern. The bag itself is nice with several extra pockets for bar and stuff. The bar comes with its own bar bag, which alleviates a lot tangles that my previous bars would get in the car. Another very nice detail in my opinion.

Review: Review.

First off;
I like this kite a lot!!!!

The given information on the Naish site, is that it has V5 profile, (whatever that is) for stability and low end. Okay that makes sense. For max camber. Two piece leading edge that makes the kite stiffer. Tunable bridle and delta cut trailing edge. Okay what ever, you can read up on that at Naishkites.com

I have used this kite quite a few times, in anything from maybe 15 mph on a surfboard to over 30 mph in super gusty winds on my 122... For me 15 mph, I can hold my ground, but in the lulls, I have to work it. For me the real fun starts around 17 mph on my surfboard, and a little higher on a 122..I am a heavy rider and I like to ride powered.

First of all, this kite is built though. It has 5 struts, nice thick protective pads on the leading edge. It comes with the best bar I have ever used. It just fits in your hand, and you can adjust if from 2:1 to 1:1. It also comes with the Octopus one pump system, no more stress with pumping up separate struts...this is so nice and it saves you time on the beach.

The boxer was designed to be an all round kite and it is!! It seems to be able to take whatever I can throw at it. Now I am not the most demanding rider, but I think this kite can take almost what anyone can throw at it considering how it handles in different wind types. It does anything from flat water jumping, to choppy water pop, to slashing waves. You can jump it like other SLE's in high winds by pulling the bar, or you can throw the kite more like you would a C. When you've had your cup of Java while enjoying the view up there, you control the decent on the bar. This kite is so adjustable that you can decide configure it after your riding style, and not adapt your riding style to the kite. You can tune bar from 2:1 to 1:1 in a matter of seconds. You can tune turning speed, and bar pressure, to suit your riding preference that day. On the 1:1 i feels more like a C kite since the bar pressure is so low that you pull the bar more towards you and thus ride more with your legs. On 1:1 the bar pressure is so light that you can hold the bar with two fingers or turn it using one hand to sine the kite..very nice in the waves. On the 2:1 the kite rides like a traditional SLE, with lots of depower on less bar travel. It gives very nice feedback, and it is super stable. I never have to look at the kite to know where it is. The kite turns super fast, and it really generates a lot of power through the power zone..if you want it to, otherwise you just depower it and it glides through the power zone without flutters or complaints. When throwing the kite through the power zone you can make really powered turns off the lip on the waves. The kite really makes you feel like the king of the waves.... if you can hold the power with the board.

I demoed the kite first on Maui which doesn't have big waves in the summer. I really had a blast and I decided then that I wanted the kite. I was really flying with it. I think the kite is good for waves, but if you want a pure wave kite get the Shockwave, which is more specialized for waves, conversely if you want a more all-round kite get the boxer. Still if you ride the waves with the boxer, you can just sheet out, and the kite will hover and wait for you to reengage the power. When you do, you ride away from the wave powered. It goes very well upwind so you can get back to wave before the next set hits :-) It also relaunches on a dime, just pull the back line and up it goes.

It also has a hidden option for freestyle riding. If you want to practice freestyle, there is a small pigtail on the upper part of the depower strap...attach a line, make it go through the bar with the front line and through the little loop on the chicken loop, and presto you have full depower for your kite, and the bar still spins fine. I only recommend this setting for experienced kiters though, but now you can do you unhooked moves, and if you loose the bar that kite will depower fully, but not flag out. I do think you might want to remove the stopper for this setting. Make sure you test it. For less experienced users or use with very unstable winds use the leash that comes with the kite. I have 'tested' flagging the kite. I tried an unhooked something, and lost the bar. The kite flagged out without looping, and landed in the water, I then proceeded to self rescue to the beach, with no problems.

The kite has the same superb depower that made the SLE's so popular in the first place, but it also has a price point that makes this kite so very affordable. The intended use for this kite, is for me (experienced kiter) in all conditions and for my wife that is just starting out, and the kite seems to cover that use nicely.

If there was one thing I would wish for then it would be to have an expandable mesh for the kite so I can leave the struts inflated. However because the kite has the octopus system this is not a major concern. The bag itself is nice with several extra pockets for bar and stuff. The bar comes with its own bar bag, which alleviates a lot tangles that my previous bars would get in the car. Another very nice detail in my opinion.

All in all as you might have noticed I think this kite is super nice. For me the biggest pro, in addition to the obvious advantages that SLE's have, is its fast stable turning and it's no fluttering and the fact that it doesn't seem to want to invert if you throw it and depower at the same time like some other kites I have tested. Combining this with its flat water abilities of jumping, depower, it's fast turning, and super stability. This is a high performance kite, and it will give me MANY ecstatic hours on the water.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 81-90
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: Over
Preferred Kite Size: 9.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: Waroo 9, EH Rippehr 12 + 14, Nova 12, Shockwave 12 +++

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 [ 1 post ]