All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Review Monkeykites Griffin 12.0 2006
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:29 am 
Rare Poster

Review for Monkeykites Griffin 2006 12.0

Times tested: No Comment
Range: 14kn to 35kn

Good: Huge Depower, extended hangtime, great response - one kite quiver.

Bad: bar pressure, non wax lines

Review: Ive had this kite in 14 knots to 37 knots and therefore its the only kite i need. This kite has amazing amounts of depower and does not buck or invert at those strong gusts which push it right forward. Being a wave rider, the amount of depower is fantastic, and with the stopper ball lets me ride this kite like my old c kites - well within reach. The kite has an instant response in the power window and stays beautifully stable once in it.

THere is an amazing amount of lift during jumps and the kite allows for far more error if you mistime the descent. You can basically fall fast then flair out at hte last second and land softly. Or you can float all the way down. I'm lightweight 68kgs and therefore this kite works for me in all the coniditions i want to be out in.

The thing i can say about this kite which still remains a choice is the bar pressure. If you have short arms like me, then you need to use the pulley system which brings the whole setup nicely close. This also gives huge depower. bar pressure at sub 16-18 knots is more noticeable while over this, it is not. Without the pulley system this kite turns incredibly lightly - but u need longer arms.

This kite is a fundamental step forward from all the others i've tried. There are a few good brands that fly as well as this that i've tried, but this kite costs half...

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: Waverider
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 12.0
Most Used Kite Size: 4.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 131-140
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used:

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Review Monkeykites Griffin 12.0 2006
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:29 am 
Frequent Poster

Cloudspinning wrote:
Review: Ive had this kite in 14 knots to 37 knots and therefore its the only kite i need. This kite has amazing amounts of depower and does not buck or invert at those strong gusts which push it right forward. Being a wave rider, the amount of depower is fantastic, and with the stopper ball lets me ride this kite like my old c kites - well within reach. The kite has an instant response in the power window and stays beautifully stable once in it.

hey cloudspinning :bye:
as i will face some seriouse surf during the next weeks i would like to ask you if you have also tried the griffin in the 1:1 setup in the surf?
of course i could just try it myself ( ;-) ) but when im heading down that hill i wanna fully concentrate on me/wave and the bord and do not bother about the kite :)

which barsetup would you recomment for a bigwavenewbie like me?

i didnt use the griffin too often (was cold out here ;-) )-the few times i used it were in flatwaterconditions in 1:1 setup for wakestylestuff.

why i ask you is because i do not know how this kite reacts in big surf :?: (obviouse as i have never been there ;-) )

cheers oliver
ps-dont wanna pimp-just wanna get some helping words :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Cloudspinning wrote:
Review for Monkeykites Griffin 2006 12.0

Times tested: No Comment
Range: 14kn to 35kn

Good: Huge Depower, extended hangtime, great response - one kite quiver.

Bad: bar pressure, non wax lines

THere is an amazing amount of lift during jumps and the kite allows for far more error if you mistime the descent. You can basically fall fast then flair out at hte last second and land softly. Or you can float all the way down. I'm lightweight 68kgs and therefore this kite works for me in all the coniditions i want to be out in.

The thing i can say about this kite which still remains a choice is the bar pressure. If you have short arms like me, then you need to use the pulley system which brings the whole setup nicely close. This also gives huge depower. bar pressure at sub 16-18 knots is more noticeable while over this, it is not. Without the pulley system this kite turns incredibly lightly - but u need longer arms.

This kite is a fundamental step forward from all the others i've tried. There are a few good brands that fly as well as this that i've tried, but this kite costs half...

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: Waverider
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 12.0
Most Used Kite Size: 4.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 131-140
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used:

For pictures and more reviews click here

I'd like to see you hold down the 12 in 37 knots. I am 85 kg and can't really hold my 9 waroo in that much wind. The 7 waroo would be OK though.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:10 am 
Frequent Poster

ed257 wrote:

I'd like to see you hold down the 12 in 37 knots. I am 85 kg and can't really hold my 9 waroo in that much wind. The 7 waroo would be OK though.

Ed

the griffin does indeed have a huge amount of depower in 2:1 setup!

i was able to ride my 9 meter TRIBE6 (not the griffin) in gusts up to 38knots without bigger trouble!
by that time i was like 85kg heavy and used a 132x39 board.

a guy who was just as heavy as me came from the water with a full depowered best yarga 9meters and had a ride on my tribe. he came back with a not pulled adjuster and a big smile in his face ;-)

on that day the most used kitesice was 6/7 meters-no one was out on a "bigger" kite but me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:21 am 
Medium Poster

As for 1:1 or 2:1 for waveriding it really depends on your preferences. If you are comfortable with dynamic sheeting over 18 inches, I would ride the 1:1 since I think the kite performs much better in this configuration.

I weigh 175lbs & can stay upwind in 11knots with a 152x42 board on the 12m. I have not tested the top end yet but felt very comfortable with it in the 25-29 knot range. The kite has better stability than my sonic 11m with no bar pressure(full depower). The kite also seems to have more low end grunt than the sonic requiring less sheeting range on the low end to maximize the apparent wind. (Note I have not tried the Sonic 2)

For the performance it delivers at such an attractive price, & the fact I am now replacing kites on a yearly basis, I can't justify spending an extra $500 for a more popular brand. Hopefully the '07 model will have the single inflation system since it has 1-3 more struts to inflate than every other inflatable.

Between the Waroo & Griffin, I think it is only a matter of a couple of seasons until we see a lot more kites in the sub $1k category for 11-12m kites-complete with bar.

Best & Monkey ---> Where are the cheap hybrids!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:45 am 
Frequent Poster

k2ski3 wrote:
As for 1:1 or 2:1 for waveriding it really depends on your preferences. If you are comfortable with dynamic sheeting over 18 inches, I would ride the 1:1 since I think the kite performs much better in this configuration.

I weigh 175lbs & can stay upwind in 11knots with a 152x42 board on the 12m. I have not tested the top end yet but felt very comfortable with it in the 25-29 knot range. The kite has better stability than my sonic 11m with no bar pressure(full depower). The kite also seems to have more low end grunt than the sonic requiring less sheeting range on the low end to maximize the apparent wind. (Note I have not tried the Sonic 2)

For the performance it delivers at such an attractive price, & the fact I am now replacing kites on a yearly basis, I can't justify spending an extra $500 for a more popular brand. Hopefully the '07 model will have the single inflation system since it has 1-3 more struts to inflate than every other inflatable.

Between the Waroo & Griffin, I think it is only a matter of a couple of seasons until we see a lot more kites in the sub $1k category for 11-12m kites-complete with bar.

Best & Monkey ---> Where are the cheap hybrids!?!

thanks mate :)
i guess im gonna give it the first shot on the 1:1 setup :thumb:

as you were asking for the 2007 griffin:
the 2007 will have NO single inflation system! there are several reasons for that. one of them is the amount of weight which would be added to the kite.

if you wanna check out the new griffin7 you might wanna take a look in the monkeykites forum:
http://www.monkeykites.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=766

about the hybrid:
there is already somthing cooking in the kitchen :bye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:11 am 
Frequent Poster

Nice review - this is also a kite I'm seriously considering although it is a pity it is not one pump. What would be the lower range for a 75kg, 130ish board in choppy conditions?

I would appreciate someone to P.M me Aussie price including bar.

Thanks

Post subject: griffin 15m
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:28 am 
Rare Poster

I tried out a friends 15 m griffin this past weekend for about 30 min. I currenly use cabrinha 03 nitros and co2s. The lift on the kite was unbelievable. The wind was blowing 11-14 with great waves. This kite was pulling as hard a my 20 Co2, but moved 5x faster. I was using it in the 2-1 configuration, the bar pressure was killing me. I would either have to use this kite in the 1-1 or start working out. A lot of the guys at our beach have these kites and they love them. Can't beat the price compared to the big names. I am going to buy a 15m when they come in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:06 am 
Frequent Poster

sburlo wrote:
Nice review - this is also a kite I'm seriously considering although it is a pity it is not one pump. What would be the lower range for a 75kg, 130ish board in choppy conditions?

I would appreciate someone to P.M me Aussie price including bar.

Thanks

this should be somewhere around 10-11knots. always depense on the rider :wink:

here you can reach the aussi-dealer:
http://www.monkeykites.com.au/index.php ... &Itemid=34

:bye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:41 am 
Frequent Poster

thanks guys, had a ride on a 15 meter griffin today. used it first in 1:1 setup and afterwards in 2:1. found out that the kites behaves really good in waves on both setups :thumb:
just wanted to give that info :)

greets oliver :)

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next