All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: ocean rodeo "go joe"?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:02 am 
Medium Poster

blazeheli wrote:
sijandy wrote:
blazeheli wrote:
Or just make one yourself. Inner tube tire - flame duct tape and homemade GoJoe. Stronger than regular GoJoe and can be used as a handle. The flames make it coooool !......... :)

Just spat my coffee on the keyboard! ...you actually take that thing to the beach with you hahaha. You might as well wear arm bands and a snorkell :lol:

I developed my homemade GoJoe after a 4 hour kitemare. I was kiting the Columbia river in the early spring when the currents are super fast. I was on the backside of an island and I crashed right in the channel. The wind was starting to die. My board took off like a rocket downriver. The fast part of the current is narrow and when I was trying to catch up to it body dragging - each tack would take me into the slower part of the current. There was no way I was going to catch up to my board. The dying wind in the opposite direction of the current was not helping. The lost board resulted in a 2 hour self rescue and a 2 mile hike back to my car since the current was stronger than the wind. Every year here in the Northwest - in the spring when the currents are fast - the lost and found section of our local kite message board has one lost board post after another. All those "advanced" riders learning that sometimes no matter how good you are at body dragging - the Columbia River wins............ ;)

blazeheli - its barely noticeable on your board if your sporting a Mankini lol.
I used a GoJoe when learning how to jump and getting thrown but more like crashing about 40-50ft downwind from a dropped board... so its great to recover from a beating and the board getting blown downwind towards you :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:15 pm 
Frequent Poster

rodeoclown wrote:
http://vimeo.com/13184776

one of these would be really cool

If they make it.... kiteforum will buy it! :lol:

Post subject: Poe-Joe
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:02 am 
Rare Poster

I tried the water wings for $2 at Walmart. The board ended up upside down. After about 10 seconds, the little balloon flipped a big Cabrinha Stylus in 19 - 21 mph winds!

Attachments:
File comment: My Poe-Joe.
Poe-Joe.jpg
Poe-Joe.jpg [ 70.72 KIB | Viewed 674 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:37 pm 
Medium Poster

Good stuff to know!

Those of you using the baby wings, does it sail the board as well or no? Just the help in finding the kite is nice, especially with those savings, although the sail to you feature on the GoJoe rocks.

I'm curious how the Pro version would actually do anything? Wind pushing that small plastic profile? Would that actually work?

Anything to help reduce entry costs is positive as this sport has a high price tag to enter (albeit low running costs). I'm trying to get some of my friends into it but they are all turned off by the high initial expenses. They simply dont listen to my long run cost argument despite the fact some of them spend up to $100/day for snow sports.

[ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5