[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Review Airush Protoy 129x39 2007
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:09 pm 
Frequent Poster

Review for Airush Protoy 2007 129x39

Times tested: 11+

Good:

Bad:

Review: Based on how much I liked the 2006, I couldn't see how the 2007 could top it. I was extremely suprised to find that I favor the 2007 over the 2006. The first thing I noticed is that it started planing a little faster which I'm sure is due to the slight size increase on the board. The "flip tips" are twice as big which makes it really hard to dig the nose. The flex on the tips is slightly stiffer and more responsive making the board pop even higher and more efficiently with less load time. The board also feels much more durable than the 2006 which I know was a problem for the more than aggresive rider.

Overall it's an easy choice to make after riding these boards head to head. 2007 Protoy 129 wins by a hair only because Airush has definately improved upon one of the best kiteboard designs out there.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 8.0
Most Used Kite Size: 7.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Distributor
Similar gear used: 2006 Protoy 127

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

First I'd like to say Airush did a great job at replacing broken '06 Protoys. I had my replacement within a week with just about no questions. All I had to do was e-mail Airush a digital photo of the board.

That being said, I'm a little worried that the '07 will break like the '06. What has Airush done so that the '07 boards can withstand the riding of more agressive riders? For '07, board strength is my number one priority, becuase it sucks breaking boards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

Satan,

I've flat landed the 2007 board way harder than the '06 I broke. Several times now with no issue/ no breakage ! The tips have been re-inforced with carbon to liven up the pop/response. The center of the board is also slightly stiffer to give a little more strength. There was a few bad boards last year that were broken. Those issues were corrected in mid 2006-2007 production. Breakage shouldn't be a problem for 2007.

You and I both know that these boards are hard to match as far as performance. With the low weight, great flex, and thinner core, these boards are great all around. All boards are breakable if you try hard enough. At least you've seen our track record as far as standing behind what we put on the water !

To sum it up, it will be much more difficult to break the 2007 Protoy. If you do let us know and you'll be taken care of !

Aloha,

Kyle

http://www.AirushKiteboarding.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Kyle. The the '06 127 Protoy was so much better then any board I've ever had in 7 years of kitesurfing, I want the '07. I just don't want a board that will break. At least I know Airush will replace it if I do. Still a pain in the ass though. Going without a board for a week is worse then heroin withdrawl, especially if that board was a the '06 127 Protoy. At a 175lbs would you recommend the 129. That just seems a tad long to me. The '06 120cm Protoy was a little loose for my personal taste.

I ride mostly in flat water and chop in moderate to strong winds. Not so much in light winds. And do mostly no-flick front and back rolls and F16s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:39 pm 
Frequent Poster

I would stick with the 129. It's 2cm longer and 1cm wider. Riding blind is even easier than before !!! I'm 165lbs and the 129 is my fav. I'll have to say the the 122 is much nicer than the 2006 120. It seems to plane off quicker and doesn't feel too sinky. If you ride really powered ALL the time the 122 could be a good choice. Best thing is, we have both in stock !

Overall, I think most riders can appreciate the added pop, range, and speed of the 129 !

Aloha,

Kyle

http://www.AirushKiteboarding.com

[ 5 posts ]