Where are the big names on this forum?

forum for kitesurfers

Saveur
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Where are the big names on this forum?

Postby Saveur » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:31 am

I find it hard to believe that on the only reputable online kiting community, there is not more industry insiders interacting with the people who help pay for their north shore palaces. It sure would be nice to hold some people accountable for creating better products...

BigR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigR » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:54 am

maybe they don't want to be made fun of or slandered by anonymous people hiding behind a computer key and prefer to spread their mojo
among the more tightly knit local online communities where the people actually know each other. for instance

http://www.nwkite.com

or http://www.fksa.org

or a big list of others.......... :bye:

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:26 am

no "industry insiders" have "north shore palaces." There are no "industry" people here at all and, if they came here, very few of them could afford a north shore rental much less a palace. There just isn't that much money in kiting. There are two real full time pro riders here and neither of them makes enough to even pay rent. There are 14 yr old surfers who have never won a contest that make more than any of the top kiteboarders, but that is another story.

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:07 am

We got several manufacturer rep's and R&D folks on this forum. Best is probably best represented. But we also have Cabrinha, Naish, Airush, and others. Most prefer to keep a low profile because of the B.S. that gets thrown at them when they're known.

I impressed at the tolerance the manufacturers reps display to stay here. But, that's part of dealing with the public. Major mahalos to all of them for sticking it out. It's good when the focus of the forum is "people with common interests sharing thoughts on the activity, not just the products." Some of those people like it enough to be professionally involved in the industry. They make the equipment that the rest of us use. But, we are all kiters and can talk with each other as kiters.

RickyBobby
Frequent Poster

Postby RickyBobby » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:41 pm

Is FO on a sabbatical somewhere, or just laying low.

Lay low FO, lay low. Until next week.

RB

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:58 pm

Seems like most companies use their pimps rather than have an official forum spokesperson - either they want "plausible deniability", or they can't take the heat...

sq usually steps up for Best, but they have other pimps too, and I couldn't begin to guess who is the last word for other companies...

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:01 pm

All the big dogs were on the forum in 1999. Then as the sport grew, so did the number of jerks. So they went into hiding.

Shoot the jerks and they'll return.

Oh, and some do rent North Shore water front apartments.

Kyle_F
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: All-around
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby Kyle_F » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:09 pm

I've kept my ties to Airush very clear to make sure the rider/reader knows where I'm coming from at all times. I think being honest about who I am has helped me avoid attracting too much static on this forum. (This is not an invitation)

I make huge efforts to keep my replies/topics objective as well. I think having "industry" types on here is a definate plus. What other forum can you get this huge amount of response from team riders, customers, manufacturers, and instigators all in the same place ? You've got a problem with a company's product, you can get opinions here from all walks of life. I think it's great!

Hopefully the reader can gain some perspective. Knowing who you're listening to can clarify alot!

Yes, I represent Airush but my personal focus on this forum, is to help existing riders of our equipment get the answers they need. Most companies make good equipment out there so there's no need to bash eachother. Especially when you aren't honest about your affiliations.
Some believe that causing trouble and bashing other companies from behind the green curtain is a good way to get their name out there. Maybe!..... Not my style!

You can trust that I will keep my profile honest and hopefully I can continue to help out !

This was written from my garden lanai overlooking the ocean at my northshore palace ! :)

Aloha,

Kyle

http://www.AirushKiteboarding.com

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:01 pm

RickyBobby wrote:Is FO on a sabbatical somewhere, or just laying low.

Lay low FO, lay low. Until next week.

RB
I've been in touch with Fo and he tells me he's in a kiteforum recovery clinic out in the desert where they put up lifesize pin ups of his personal favorites like Rick and Steve and take turns with automatic weapons seeing who can shred their images the fastest.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: 10 Nemi HP, 15m Flysurfer..
Brand Affiliation: none, formally BEST Marketing Director.

Postby sq225917 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:05 pm

Like Kyle i try to keep everything totally sincere at all times and offer the highest level of professionalism in all i do.

The forum gives unique access to a truly international viewpoint and it's an incredibly valuable resource for any company...

who am i kidding.....

I come on here to spread the news, pick up opinion and occasionally to have a little ruck with the usual suspects.

Return to “Kitesurfing”