All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Review Peter Lynn Venom 2 13.0 2006
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:21 am 
Rare Poster

Review for Peter Lynn Venom 2 2006 13.0

Times tested: 11+
Range: 10kn to 30kn

Good: Huge Depower! Amazingly quick stearing for the size, turns like the V10. Solid and Grunty. Realy nice Feedback, easy to know where the kite is even when your in rotation. Safe and easy to selfstart and land. Good all year aroun. Quick setup and packing.

Bad: You have to be thorough when you setup the kite to make the launching safe and easy(especially make sure the kite is properly inflated). And if your not realy confident you need more launchspace than with an LEI.

Review: My absolut favourite kite. Never thought the V2 was going to be such an big improvement from my earlier beloved V13 but it is ;-) Have tried and liked alot of other kites on the market especially Flysurfers. But the stability and the confidence that my VII 13 gives me plus the extra power and quick stearing makes this my choice of kite from now and until i stumble over something better....

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 71-80
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 13.0
Most Used Kite Size: 13.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: Cabrinha Black Tip 9.4, Peter Lynn Phantom 12 and V13 Flysurfer Pulse 10 and 13 Psyco3 10 and 13. EH Rippehr 12 and 14 Ozone Instinct and Cabrinha Switchblade/Crossbow.

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:18 am 
Medium Poster

I know how you feel......the 13V2 is my favorite kite. It's just so easy to fly and extremely forgiving.

It's a very underated kite.

:thumb:

Post subject: Have you tried a Venom w/a Pulley Bar?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:33 am 
Frequent Poster

If you like to ride waves, you should try the kite with a pulley bar sometime. You can dump 95% of the power that way without using the adjuster strap and basically ride on wave power only. Another upside is even quicker turning.

The downside is higher bar pressure and an inability to completely stall the kite--though I don't mind more bar pressure . . . your muscles will adapt after a few sessions and you'll be in better shape. I'm trying to work-out a custom bar design that still lets you put the kite into a hard stall.

Cheers,

Gideon

Attachments:
File comment: Bar/QR: Slingy
Depower Strap: Peter Lynn
Hardware: West Marine

PullyBarFull2.JPG
PullyBarFull2.JPG [ 171.88 KIB | Viewed 2542 times ]
File comment: Pulley bar w/V16 in 8 mph winds. About to make a hard clockwise turn. Notice how slack the left TE line is while right is fully tensioned.
PullyBarFlight.JPG
PullyBarFlight.JPG [ 254.94 KIB | Viewed 2541 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:30 am 
Frequent Poster

Hey Gideonlow:

That pulley bar set up looks very cool. Any idea how well this might work with other Venoms, like my Venom 1 19m? Could you post close ups and dimensions? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:26 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice, I think the bigger V's NEED faster turning so maybe that's the answer.

Seems like the leash and pull strap are REALLY far away though. I suppose you still need the depower strap for unhooked launching as well, and with the pulleys there's no option of oh shit handles on the rear lines which I kind of like especially for stalling the kite for landing etc.

But hell, if performance...ie turning and depower are upped, then it's worth it.

Another question on the bar: Why couldn't you dump 95% of the power with a regular bar set up using the depower strap? And why did you modify the orginal SS TD bar as opposed to just using it stock? thanks

BTW, on the orginal review I noticed you said range: 10-30, what are you doing in 10 knots with it? I think even with a skim the low end is more like 13knots right?

thanks for the pic,

j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:07 pm 
I used to fly a V2 13m..

For me it had the wind range of a 9m LEI but the turning response of a 15..

The BSR mod does give it a much better allround performance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:18 pm 
Frequent Poster

biggins wrote:
Seems like the leash and pull strap are REALLY far away though. I suppose you still need the depower strap for unhooked launching as well, and with the pulleys there's no option of oh shit handles on the rear lines which I kind of like especially for stalling the kite for landing etc.

When I work-out all the measurements on my bars, I basically begin by placing the pull-strap as far away as possible while still being within reach without too much of a stretch. My reasoning for this is simple--it provides maximum depower potential. My main issue with this pulley bar design right now is that the TE and LE line pressure equalizes before the kite fully stalls, which prevents me from some favorite manoevers such as trolling for waves moving upwind very slowly (in a full stall) or backing the kite deep into the window to pass downwind of another kiter that has right-of-way. I have a couple of ideas on how to elegantly solve this problem and will be trying them out soon . . . . I will post the results.

biggins wrote:
Another question on the bar: Why couldn't you dump 95% of the power with a regular bar set up using the depower strap? And why did you modify the orginal SS TD bar as opposed to just using it stock?

You can, and I do that with my other custom bar (see attached photo). However, in gusty winds, or when a wave gives you a quick board speed boost (thus quickly generating extra lift on the kite) It's very awkward to effectively use a manual strap to make on-the-fly adjustments. The pictured non-pulley bar does give me huge depower, but I have to use a less than optimal stance (knees bent, arm fully extended) to access it quickly in up-and-down or gusty winds.

biggins wrote:
BTW, on the orginal review I noticed you said range: 10-30, what are you doing in 10 knots with it? I think even with a skim the low end is more like 13knots right?

I can actually ride my V16 in 10-30 knots (did it the other day w/the pulley bar), but I think you directed this question at the original poster. I own a V16 and a V10, and, IMHO, there isn't that much different in the bottom end needed on waves to stay upwind (maybe 15 mph vs. 18 mph). On the top-end, though, the V10 just keeps going and going and going . . .

Cheers,

Gideon

Attachments:
File comment: 100% homemade bar. Super-long depower throw and simple construction for easy maintenance.
StraightBarFull_small.JPG
StraightBarFull_small.JPG [ 222.73 KIB | Viewed 2333 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:02 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi,

Has anyone had a chance to test the New PL Scorpion? How does it compare to the V2 for Windrange/turning speed/lift/hangtime? Though I know it is more of a Land/snow kite so you cant directly compare the two. How does the new VPC system help you tune the Kite? Just for turning or does it help with depower as well. On the peter lynn webpage i see they state that "The scorpion has a windrange of 3 standard bridled foil kites" What a standard bridled kite, they can't be referring to FS kites cause that would be a huge wind range. Looking for a 2 Snow kite quiver and possible using the 16M scorpion in light air 8-15 Knts, 75 Kg rider.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:51 pm 
Frequent Poster

This was recently on the Flexifoil site:

"http://community.flexifoil.com/showthread.php?t=110205"

I actually ran into Peter Lynn Jr. at Waddell about a month ago and he was testing out the Scorpion. Wind conditions were marginal, but he looked pretty good! Unfortunately, he was with a large group of friends and I couldn't get any time to have a proper conversation with him. BUMMER! That may be the first and last time he ever shows up Waddell . . .

Cheers,

Gideon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Gideon.
We played around a bunch with pulley bars on arcs a while back. You might pick Lach's noggin a bit on this one as he might be able to contribute to your experimentation. It would have been cool to BS with PL Junior if I had known he was to be up there testing it. Sure worth the 7 hour drive. Waddell is the perfect place for existing PL kites. Strong winds and gusty conditions often. Just what the PL works best in. Stoked to hear you are still haveing a blast up there. P.V Mex on March 3-11 if you want to come on down for some wave sailing.
Have Fun. Traig

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next