Post subject: Review Naish Shockwave07 9.0 2007
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:27 am 
Frequent Poster

Review for Naish Shockwave07 2007 9.0

Times tested: 2-5
Range: 15kn to 30+kn

Good: lots

Bad: a couple of set up choices are inferior imho

Review: Now had much chance to get this baby out on the water. I will compare it to Naish's Big air kite: Raven3 , which i have in 12m.

First off- compared to a 9m SLE of last year, this 9m is SERIOUSLY powerful! until i had it dialed i was contemplating swapping it for a 7m to go with my 12m C. If you do often ride in more than 30knots, i would suggest the 7m in fact, despite the quoted windrange of this 9m being upto 35knots. for an 82kg rider, waveriding with this 9m is not easy at 30knots. though ofcourse, boosting is fantastic....which is why i stuck with the 9m as that is where my preference lies.

As a high Aspect SLE this obviously has bags of glide, but furthermore, it has a good portion of wingtip that curves down- so not too flat. This means that for medium bar inputs the kite still carves a turn rather than spin on it's centreline. this is very nice. Pulls a very smooth sustained power kiteloop with decent radius. however if you really snatch at one side of the bar and yank it, while depowering the other side, the kite will do a very quick spinturn on the spot almost. handy for waveriding. In comparison the raven3 delivers a kiteloop with a brutal powerspike in the middle- nice for medium winds, but harsh in high winds. also the raven03, being fully C-kite, when you reaaly yank one end of the bar, will do a fast wingtip pivot turn still, with a bit more power/bite than the SW2.

In the jump:
Raven03 has great pop and initial lift, and also superior "feel" when you move it around in the sky while airborne- it is easier to judge the required bar input for specific redirects and "to-and-froing". In contrast the shockwave is a bit more vague when hanging beneath it- i.e. sometimes i put too much input in without realising it- not so good when redirecting when halway through a frontroll say.

SW" came with 2:1 setup and 20m lines. probably the best for a dedicated waverider who is used to it. Personally i found the 2:1 was too twitchy and did impinge on the session endurance(my poor arms!). It aslo gave the kite too much (spin) in the turns, and not enough carve- i.e. bled too much energy in turns and while sending/looping/redirecting it.

In comparison 1:1 delivers much better turn characteristics, imho better for jumping with. The bar travel to full depower is quite long- i.e. Waroo06 achieved more depower per inch of bar travel on a 1:1. But you can still achieve total depower, and i have grown to prefer a reduced sensitivity to sheeting anyway.

Now here is the key for all you SW2 jump freaks like me- ditch the 20m lines, and fit 25m lineset.

BINGO. With that modification, the Shockwave07 now boosts as well as the raven3, with dare i say it, superior hang. The raven3 can compete on hang time if you helicopter loop it, which it, being C, obviously does better than a SLE, but the SW2 comprehensively outglides the raven when fitted with longer lines and gently sined to-and-fro while airborne.

In defense of the raven- it has awesome top end- i have ridden the 12m in 30knots(just) and it wasn't survival kiting(but a couple o knots more would have been). The double depower on the raven is also the finest example of a bar system that delivers safety depower while retaining a stable smooth sheeting/steering with solid feel the rest of the time. I do think a larger SW would not be as good in the medium winds as the 12m Raven- the raven's aggresive edge makes it a more fun kite to fly in those winds and the more direct handling and more"kick in the pants" boosting/power delivery is what you need to get maximum height and airtime in 15-25mph. But the smoothness of the shockwave(like any small SLE i guess) does make it better in waves and gusty/high wind. And like i said, the glide and height with 25mlines on 1:1...unparalleled. At my beaches there are better riders who go higher than me(better technique), but i haven't seen anyone outgliding me since i have been on this kite. And i include other sle riders in that statement.

To sum up, i think Naish setup this kite for the big wave arena(2:1 20mlines), and marketed it as wave kite, so as not to confuse/compete too much against the Raven3. But in the smaller sizes , if you like hassle free high wind hangtime, i think the SW is the one to go for(and 25m lines!!)

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 81-90
Ability: Advanced
Style: Jumper
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 9.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: waroo 9m 06

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:43 am 
Frequent Poster

After re-reading what i wrote, i guess you could say the same for most small SLE vs Medium C-kite comparisons...

perhaps i should qualify it wit:- Raven03 12m is the best straight up boosting/jumping kite i have ever ridden. Is also my favourite handling kite.

But I would rather be on a SW2(my setup) in 25mph+ for a big-air session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

great review. I had the same feeling when I tried the 9 SW. I went off a wave, and felt like I would never come down. Great tips about the line change. Do you find that it affects the turning speed much?
My 12 SW is great boosting kite..even in flat water..surprising for a SLE. It would be great to test it with 24 meter lines..

How does the 9 work in flat-ish water? When I rode it I had it out in small waves and very choppy rides, and it handled great....I think that in hing winds the 2:1 system is great to have, but in anything marginal the 1:1 is best.

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:14 am 
Frequent Poster

hi taut. i wouldn't say that the extra line length really makes any difference to the turning speed. in the kind of winds i use a 9m, any 9m SLE can be made to turn as fast as i would need it to. Extreme bar input still gives extreme yaw rate.

Going to 1:1 does make the turn input a bit more linear, so is easier to keep the kite in a smooth turn- with the 2:1 i found it made the kite "turn back on itself" more. you ride 2:1 so you know what i mean. I just prefer a kite to keep it's forward speed up while i turn it- better sending and less drag while maneuvering it mid jump= more hangtime. 1:1 aids this on small-firm bar input.

Also with 2:1 it was possible to oversheet the kite more easily when boosting if you were a bit too exuberant on the bar- worse glide resulting.

i just bought an off-the-shelf set of 25m lines from my dealer. I think 24-27m would be fine. more than that and i think the extra line length would just add unnecessary delay to the takeoff(so less initial pop) and the marginal extra length wouldn't significantly enhance the "Swept arc" so not much extra boost/hang; to be worth it. would take longer to traverse the window when throwing it around waveriding. but 25m was still alright waveriding on this size. 25m lines on your 12mSW in lighter winds might start to suck for the waveriding though.

i really do think in medium winds, you want a Raven for maximum "Immediate boost" to get the best jumps. In medium winds there is less available energy to convert into height, so you need to do that conversion as quick as possible(at the expense of some efficiency* even) before you bleed speed away.
In higher winds i think you can extract more altitude/hangtime if the boost is delivered smoothly and efficiently through the duration of the climb, as the higher wind already delivers as much initial snatchiness as you want that might otherwise be missing when jumping a larger SLE in lighter winds.

*In this context i mean: energy conversion from speed(apparent wind) to height. the more the kite is above you when sending it, the more efficient the energy conversion is, but the slower it is(SLE style). the more you send the kite back, grazing the powerzone, the faster the enery conversion is, but less efficient(C-kite style). of course, in the first case, too little sending at all, means you don't get any real height, and just go long and low. in the second case if you really honk it back into an F16 say, you also don't get as much height, and come down fast too.
There is of course a large grey area in the middle, which makes good boosting on any kite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ok, this makes sense. I think I would only use the longer lines for boosting, and not riding waves though as the 12 is already a big kite for waves. It works, but smaller is better in terms of turning speed.

When you send the SW (and Raven for max boost, do you hve different techniques? I mean I generally don't send the SW as far as I would a C-kite, but use the sheeting even more. I am sending the SW, but usually to about maybe 1...whereas the Raven I would send even further...especially if it is a small kite...

What would you say it the optimal technique for boosting? I'm always looking into getting a little higher :-) I mean I can get some height, but I also like to hear other people's views...

A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:43 am 
Frequent Poster

hmm, ok don't want to come across like i am giving lessons or something. but here are my thoughts on boosting, broken down into light, medium, and heavy winds:

1.Lightwind (10-15knots)

go as fast as can on a beam reach to maximize apparent wind, gently send kite from 10 to just behind 12-12.30, generally going long and low. can't send it too far back cause the big kite is much slower and won't redirect in time. i am careful not to pop too aggresively(kills speed/apparent wind too easily)

2. Medium (15-25knots)
12m C-kite weather. of course the more you send it back here, the more vertical up and down the jump is. i go into takeoff with medium speed, as my focus is retaining control and timing, and i pop aggressively. in these conditions i find a good takeoff where good timing and maximum board pop comibine to give best jumps. for max height i generally start the kite at 10.30 and really honk it back aggressively to 1-1.30. less aggresive sending, gives a more fluid jump with more glide. aggressive sending back gives very straight up jump with lot of G-force, but then drops you fast from apex and needs a firm redirect to land decently. I generally don't pay too much attention to sheeting in these winds, just keep a steady consistent power on the bar all the way through from before sending it to after the landing. I generally don't pay too much attention to sheeting in these winds, just keep a steady consistent power on the bar all the way through from before sending it to after the landing.

3.High (25-35 knots)
can choose to do any style of sending, they all go biggish!
for maximum glide/hangtime/floaty i just go full belt at a wave and use that to give most of the upward momentum, gently sending kite to 12.30 with full sheet in at takeoff. gives a very smooth loooong jump, though not the max altitude perhaps.
For max exhilaration high altitude high gforce jump, i do an aggressive send from 11back to 1clock. in these winds, starting the kite too low often fucks up your edge on takeoff i find. in this final style/conditions a small fuckup on takeoff can really throw me, so i generally look for a flat spot, with perhaps a small little kicker wave, rather than a big ramp, so i can focus on getting my edging right. also i depower the SLE quite a bit when turning it(for the send) and then really yank the bar in when i feel my edge is going. i try to pop here, but often am carrying lots of boardspeed, so it is not quite as important as in medium winds, and alsoyou are airborne before you can really dig the edge in anyway(if travelling fast enough).

Generally the more apparent wind you have on takeoff(which is aided by a good pop), the more energy you have to play with. you can use this energy to go long and low, or high and hovering, or somewhere in between(smooth high glide).

redirects i generally just play by feel(how fast i am coming down). to be honest, and to cut some of the bravado(yay me hero kiter boost master-NOT), i have to admit that if i go from one kite in one session (say 12m C), to , different kite in different conditions(9m SLE), i quite often fuck up the redirect timing and come in too hot or with not enough boardspeed, for the early part of the session, while i re-dial in the airtime and kitesensitivity. so there is something to be said for having a quiver of the same kites, even though that is not what i have.

Post subject: Re: Review Naish Shockwave07 9.0 2007
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:48 pm 
Rare Poster

hi, thanks for your review.
Any feedback with shorter lines (i.e. 15-17meter) ?
Does it make sense to use short lines with SW2 in the surf?

Rabidric wrote:
Review for Naish Shockwave07 2007 9.0

Now here is the key for all you SW2 jump freaks like me- ditch the 20m lines, and fit 25m lineset.

BINGO. With that modification, the Shockwave07 now boosts as well as the raven3, with dare i say it, superior hang. The raven3 can compete on hang time if you helicopter loop it, which it, being C, obviously does better than a SLE, but the SW2 comprehensively outglides the raven when fitted with longer lines and gently sined to-and-fro while airborne.

[ 7 posts ]