[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Review North Rhino07 12.0 2007
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:19 pm 
Frequent Poster

Review for North Rhino07 2007 12.0

Times tested: 11+
Range: 11kn to 28kn

Good: - Depower
- Low-end performance (upwind from 11kn)
- Flying speed
- Grunt
- Every knot of wind is directly converted in forward speed
- Direct bar feeling (even better as Rebel07)
- Steering speed
- Modest bar pressure
- Balance bar/steering pressure
- Smooth transition from power to depower, and viceversa (no on/off switch)
- Hangtime

Bad: Costs effort to thing about some not so good properties....

- You need to get used to the timing for jumping big airs
- Thanks to big depower it is easy to pull too much power. Again, this is not a kite for beginners
- Water restart easier as with Rebel07, but still not as easy as similar size SLE kites
- Cost! One of the most expensive kites on the market!!!

Review: This year I wanted a quiver which consists out of 2 kites only. Besides waveriding with a waveboard I like to go fast and big air. I also like to do some small freestyle.

For the high-end and wave-riding I bought a Rebel07 9m2 already. This covers for me 15 - 35kn windrange.

For the low-end range I decided to go for a smaller kite than the ususal 16m2 C-shape. My old Vegas04 gets me going from 10kn upwind, using a Nobile 666'07 129x39cm. This Rhino gets me going from 8kn, but keeps me upwind from 11kn av. I have used the kite over 10 times in winds up to 28kn in gusts. I am planning to use the kite for waveriding too with my waveboard, so I can get the windrange even lower. Have not tried that yet.

Both speed and upwind performance is great. Up till 6 Beaufort not many windsurfers can overtake me. It is most of the time the other way round ;)

This kite is rather heavy due to the used materials and the 2 pump system (uses rubber hoses along the LE) You will notice this when the wind drops under 8kn (not surfable wind). The kite will drop out of the sky, where my lightweight Rebel stays in the air.

Strange enough as soon as you make this baby move it starts to generate apparent wind. Coming from Vegas04/05 and PL Venom I am used to this way of low-wind kiting. But this kite is my absolute winner of converting every knot of apparent wind very efficiently in forward speed.

The rail pressure is higher as with the Rebel. Something you would expect from a Rhino looking at his predecessors. However thanks to the excellent depower this is easy to handle. If it becomes to much, just let go off the bar with an inch or so.

Only in winds under 14kn you need to move the kite to keep going. It is funny when you do an transition it is almost like there is no wind at all. The weirdest thing about this kite in low-wind is that the first stroke you make with the kite to come on step, it feels there is no power at all. But you are able to come out of the water and get on your board. With the next few strokes the kite accelerates in the apparent wind and you will make more boardspeed, and go upwind. In this small period the kite feels soft and dim. As soon as you have some boardspeed the kite is very direct, and gives a lot of usefull feedback through the bar. I never have to look where the kite is positioned inside the window.

From 14kn and higher winds no need to move the kite. First stroke is most of the time enough to get you going and fast. Due to the grunt the stroke you make are very powerful, you can be easily be pulled off your edge.

This is also the area where jumping starts to be fun. I would say from 16/17kn big airs are possible all the way up to 25kn. From that windspeed I would change for my Rebel07 9m2.

Depower is very good. But moving the bar all the way up will not instantly depower the kite. Because you reduce the angle of attack the kite will fly faster forward generating equal pull. When it arrives at the windows edge it will depower. The Rebel07 can be depowered like a light switch: on/off! Not for the Rhino. A lot of people prefer this above the Rebel style.

This also adds its part to the smoothness of the kite. It is really smooth and not aggrasive (untill you start to steer aggresive like doing kiteloops)

In order to jump high you have to get used to the kite. Using the C-shape method which is possible with the Rebel too (keep the bar pulled when you steer the kite to 12 o'clock) you will be pulled of your edge. You need to depower slightly (the bar will give you sufficient feedback) to maintain you edge. If you also steer the kite back aggresively you will be slingshotted into the air, followed by a long airtime. Do not to forget to steer the kite back on time, as this can result in overflying your kite.

Jumping SLE style is possible, but does not bring you high. You really need to edge hard like an old school C-shape and manage the power through the bar. Therefore in very choppy and wavy conditions jumping massive is not easy to do.

One of the biggest disadvantages of a BOW/SLE kite besides bar feel is the lack of tracking when you steer the kite from one side to the other when doing transitions. WIth a C-shape you can depower fully, and still be able to steer the kite properly. A flat/SLE/BOW kite demands the bar to be pulled unnaturally in order to keep control. Especially in high winds. The Rebel07 already was better in this than any of the SLE's I tried, but the R7 does it like a C!! Absolutely C-shape feel with the benefits of huge depower.

Also pop is huge, much better than with the Rebel07. Freestyle seems to be much easier than with the Rebel. I have not tried to unhook (yet).

For me the best kite I have ever tried. Really worth the money, although the Rebel 12m2 also a very good and cheaper kite. But pure on character not comparable with the Rhino07.

Cannot wait to use this baby in the waves with a waveboard. With a Twin I did it several times. It is possible, but as with older (slower turning) kites you need to prepare a move in advance, where with the Rebel07 you can do it on the moment when it slips your mind.

I use the North 5th 2007 bar on the widest setting, and the steering lines on the last knot, the furtest away from the bar. In order to use my Rebel07 9m2 on the same bar I had to add 11cm pigtails to the flying (fron) lines, and 15cm to the 5th line.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 71-80
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: Wave
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 12.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Normal Customer
Similar gear used: Vegas04/05 12m2 and 16m2
PL Venom 13m2
Rebel07 9m2
LF Assault06 9m2

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:04 pm 
Frequent Poster

thanks for the review. Really helpful!
-Danny

Post subject: Re: Review North Rhino07 12.0 2007
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

mig27 wrote:

Snip...

One of the biggest disadvantages of a BOW/SLE kite besides bar feel is the lack of tracking when you steer the kite from one side to the other when doing transitions. WIth a C-shape you can depower fully, and still be able to steer the kite properly. A flat/SLE/BOW kite demands the bar to be pulled unnaturally in order to keep control. Especially in high winds. The Rebel07 already was better in this than any of the SLE's I tried, but the R7 does it like a C!! Absolutely C-shape feel with the benefits of huge depower.

Snip...

Which Bow kites have you been testing ?

Just because, above comment is directly opposite of what our experiences are !

A C kite can not be steered/controlled when depowered fully 8)
BUT - most C kites has a very reduced depower stroke with the bar, so there is a stopper quite close.
The thing is, that these C kites can all be depowered a bit more, if you "override" this stopper or have a trimmed C kite that can be depowered more - so you get slightly slack backlines.
This is the "full C depower" setting, as a C kite will always be powered if back lines are not slack.
Particularily because the wind is often extremely high (or the apparent wind) when you need this "max" depower - and here will tight back lines, even when bar pushed away, give a lot of pull in the kite (power it). Even slack backlines add a little pull on the power in fact 8)

Whereas with the bow kites, you have the frontline/backline pulley system that transfers the depower so you get extreme depower and still tight back lines :thumb:

This is how the first flat kites was designed, and the latest kites (many of them) are still using this principle, although there are other ways also (but they had less usable depower then) :P

So I would call the ability to control a kite when depowered for "Bow kite depower" and not "C kite depower" - as the latter is what we finally has gotten rid of with the flat kites who uses front/rear line depower or something similar :o

At some point, when reaching extreme depower - all kites (flat or C or whatever) will reach a level where control is dissapearing. But for the front/rear line flat kites - this is happening at a stage where you should not be out, unless you have a kite 2 or 3 sizes smaller :-?

Great to see the Rhino also has this "Bow kite depower".

:- ) Peter Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:24 pm 
Medium Poster

Nice unbiased review...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:04 pm 
Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank:

Cabrinha Xbow and LF Assault 06 (chosen as one of the best SLE in kiteboarding.de magazine, Germany)

I fully agree what you are saying!

I should have added that this is just one of the things when you come from a classic (non hybrid) C-shape kite. Of course total depower means less to none control when fully sheeted out (because the steering lines go slack)

However, I trimmed both my flat kites so that there is no 100% depower (I personally like to shorten the depowerline). Also with the LF assault there is a stopper which prevents it from fully depower.

It is just when you compare the flat kites to classic C-shapes there is less stability steering the kite overhead. I personally think this has also to do with the fact that the wingtips (part of the canopy which does not cause lift) are bigger with a C than a flat kite. These work as rudders I presume when doing these moves.

For me this feld unnatural (: non classic C-shape behaviour) in the beginning, and of course during time you will adapt (by pulling the bar more to compensate). With the R7 this feeling was gone.

I just wanted to point out that this kite comes very, very close to the old C-kites. It was a big risk from North to make their top of the line kite into a flatkite. I know a lot of people dislike the kite for that reason without trying it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Too much thinking.

In simple terms, the R7 maintains direct steering at high depower settings, better than a lot of other kites, including the Rebel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:05 pm 
Medium Poster

I never try a bow my old kites was C , now i have the rhino 12 and 9
for me is the same with my old c ,and for unhook is good. With the rhino you want to kite all the day..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I was really impressed with the 12m Rhino, but I disagree on one point. Personally I thought jumping was super easy on the kite, because of the high depower and the fast speed and turning. The feel was super direct and it felt really we composed.

For me the only thing that ruins the kite for me it the 5th line design, as I want a kite which can roll and not be damaged as a result. If you could make a Switchblade 2 and Rhino have babies.... you'd have one sweet kite!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:40 am 
Frequent Poster

Dwight: Thanks, you save me over 300 words :thumb: That is what I mean.

Personally I think the Rebel does it better than the SLE I tested, but compared with the R7 this baby is way better.

ScottM: Indeed jumping is fairly easy. But to go as high as possible you really need to time things well. It is not like a SLE where you simply pull in the bar and off you go.

You also need to get accustomed to the kite to really hit it correctly to go huge! That is what I meant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:00 am 
Frequent Poster

what about water relaunch?
:roll:

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next