All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Review North Rebel 10 metre 2008
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:22 am 

Review for North Rebel 2008 10 metre

Times tested: 1
Range: 14kn to 32kn

Good: New 2008 North Rebel,...
More bottom end power than the 2007 Rebel, distinctly grunty in low end, super steady in the air, good turning speed, as expected near total depower

Bad: Nothing

Review: On first launch I was instantly impressed as a few things went through my mind at once:
- the kite was set up perfect after I shortened the steering lines by one knot in the marginal winds of 13 - 14 knots, maxing to 15 knots, the line lengths in this wind was spot on, so there may be no need to tune in fresh wind per the 07 versions, I will see this once I get to test the 08 bar.
The other thing that was immediately apparent was that this kite canopy was super steady, and the kite was highly powered. All this was instantly obvious, the kite was filled with grunt and I put in into some power and pulled the bar in lifting me up, subsequent testing of the power and jumps on the beach showed up a few things. One was that the kite held a lot of grunt for the light wind, the other was the solid canopy - it was like the whole kite was stiff and locked in place. this was not really an issue with the 07s but it was like a mix of stability and power which was immediately apparent.

The other nice thing was the turning speed, the settings were for more bow - slower speed however the kite turned very well, not too whippy but quicker and smoother. I did swap it over to the rear pigtail settings for the steering lines and this increased the speed off the turning somewhat but did not seem to change the depower, on this day, and normally this is where we had all our 07 rebels set.

On the Water
As it was marginal I tried both my twin tip and surfboard. On the twin tip I maintained ground in the marginal wind and was very impressed with the power of the kite. It really felt like a larger kite for power, then on my surfboard I was lit and really it was only 13 - 14 knots with the occassional gust, the 2008 rebel rumour was that they are gruntier down low and this kite shows that is true, quite significantly.

I was very impressed with the turning speed, stability and power the kite presents, so much power for a little kite. It seems to me and juding by the photos that the kite is a little flatter and this would account for the power, however I don't really know this.

I rode it back to back with my 2007 Rebel 12m (the wonder kite) and it really did compare well to the power of the 12m. Although the 12m did have more power, it was less of a gap than expected, and when the wind kicked up to more consistent 14 - 15 knots the 10m had me lit, 15 - 20 knots and I would have been powered to the max for big air etc.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 12.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Shop
Similar gear used: Rebel 2007 - 5m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi guys, Dazzel is actually me, I still can't seem to log onto kite community so had to use and alias

anyhow hope you enjoy my review, I can guarantee it is a no hype review, this kite is really nice. I will update once I get into some top end wind

if you want some more photos and lots more review information go to

http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/rebel08.html

Darren :thumb:

Attachments:
Rebel 08.jpg
Rebel 08.jpg [ 44.94 KIB | Viewed 7440 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:18 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I got to try the Rebel out in surf with some stronger wind.

overall this kite was super nice and you just knew where the kite was all the time, you can put this kite exactly where you want it and it will stay there waiting for its next command, great boost and hang time.

it got up to 25 knots and I had the kite powered up most of the time when it really dialed in. The kite makes you want to go faster and faster then with the perfect turning speed and the ability to dump the power before a jump you can really get some massive air time.

more photos and one really good one of the kites profile and more report if interested:

http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/rebel082.html

Darren

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi, have you tried re0launch from different positions, how does it feel?Does the new bungee really work?Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

jumpjet wrote:
Hi, have you tried re0launch from different positions, how does it feel?Does the new bungee really work?Thanks

I have not tried relaunch from water yet, I thought about putting it down into the water a few times but was having such a good time I didn't want to interupt the fun but all that serious testing, I will get to it soon though and report as I am actually very interested in how it will compare

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

update: http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/rebel082.html

if interested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Does it come close to Rebel07 9m (and so Rebel07 7m) regarding turning speed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Sake wrote:

The turning speed for 10m 2008 Rebel set on the rear pigtails is similar but slightly slightly slower than 9m 2007 Rebel set of forward pigtails. It is fast but not too fast, you feel that you could whip it through a loop quick if you wanted but when doing a slow rolling move for example it feels secure and not going to give you a surprise.

Over all compared to the 9m 2007 they have taken the 'sting' out of the turning if you want it that way. To be honest I would say that although the turning speed of the small 08s is supposed to be slightly slower than the 07s on purpose you might be hard pressed to pick too much difference with a blindfold.

best way to desribe it would be that there is a little less 'sting' in the turning of the smaller models, but increased turning speed of 12m+

the 10turns as perfect as I can imagine, don't know what else you would want it to do. Radical insane double handle passing kiteloops take the 08 Vegus out for a spin is the word.

The word on the 7m is steadier and slower turning, I do rolls on the 2007 7m in top end wind but with extreme caution, I have it set on the quick turning setting (rear pigtails) but I don't mind it like this. a slightly slower turning speed would be good as it will still turn ample fast enough.

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

jumpjet wrote:

Jumpjet

I finally totally sussed out the bungee cord. it is really this simple. when the kite lands in the water and the tension is off the lines the kite risks turning over or around so that the line end up where you don't want them. The bungee simple pulls the rear (steering) pigtail in towards the centre of the kite so that when you tension the lines they are in the best position to keep the lines where they should be and allow for better relaunch, easy

Daz :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

dazza5172 wrote:
Sake wrote:

The turning speed for 10m 2008 Rebel set on the rear pigtails is similar but slightly slightly slower than 9m 2007 Rebel set of forward pigtails. It is fast but not too fast, you feel that you could whip it through a loop quick if you wanted but when doing a slow rolling move for example it feels secure and not going to give you a surprise.

Over all compared to the 9m 2007 they have taken the 'sting' out of the turning if you want it that way. To be honest I would say that although the turning speed of the small 08s is supposed to be slightly slower than the 07s on purpose you might be hard pressed to pick too much difference with a blindfold.

best way to desribe it would be that there is a little less 'sting' in the turning of the smaller models, but increased turning speed of 12m+

the 10turns as perfect as I can imagine, don't know what else you would want it to do. Radical insane double handle passing kiteloops take the 08 Vegus out for a spin is the word.

The word on the 7m is steadier and slower turning, I do rolls on the 2007 7m in top end wind but with extreme caution, I have it set on the quick turning setting (rear pigtails) but I don't mind it like this. a slightly slower turning speed would be good as it will still turn ample fast enough.

Daz

Thx for the feedback. :thumb:

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next