All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hook Knife / Cutting lines
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 pm 
Rare Poster

Having heard through form of the horrendous fatality (commiserations to all the family) of poor guy in France I was considering getting some kind of hook knife.

I’m fairly new to the sport and have had one situation where kite has looped many times getting the lines tangled and therefore out of control. Trying everything I knew turned out to be useless as the kite eventually took off with me under / across the water. Very disorientated I managed to pull the QR and thankfully the kite was gone, managed to retrieve it later.

Fortunate for me the lines were not wrapped around me but after hearing about the poor guy in France I started to wonder if they were what wound I have done. I have a harness with a small hook knife in the back pocket. But not sure in the rush / panic of the moment if I would have been able to get it or even be quick thinking enough to consider getting it.

I used to dive a lot a thought of getting another small hook knife to put on the front of my harness. I don’t want to come over as insensitive so shortly after the accident but just wondered if anyone else had any suggestions on type / make of knife and best place to mount it so it accessible in the heat of the moment..

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Check out this link.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... hook+knife

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There was a good discussion on knives here

http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... ight=knife

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:11 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you discharge your kite when not sure of location of ALL your lines it could get a lot worse
Imagine being drug by your foot
with no way to get to it,
to cut the line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:25 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for all the info. Yhis seems to have been coverd before my time. I've had a good read through and there are some interesting choices.

Post subject: __
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

for a decent hook knife try a parachuting centre (make sure won't rust of course..)

eg
http://www.hookknife.com/hookknives.htm jack the ripper one - quite big but try cutting leader lines with one of teh scrawny rusting knives harness manufacturers used to supply...

tie and eleastic band across teh knife cos if a line accidently even comes into contact with one of these babies it will start to slice through it like butter

Post subject: hook knife
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

Here's another link for a great hook knife. Super durable and easy to sharpen. Rinse and dry after a session and it will keep an edge much longer.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=7

Just rivet a length of velcro on the ring to keep it in the same spot on your harness. The case is great if you want it on an impact vest or some place more accessible.

[ 7 posts ]