All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Holy !#$%... Ozone Instinct 11m Edge Review
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:07 am 
Rare Poster

I reluctantly tried an 11m Edge on Monday. I say this because with 7 struts, 5 lines, anti-inversion lines and only 11m, I really never had any interest in trying this kite. So grateful to the mate who forced it on me… it was a great 4 hrs of kiting. No pimping but best kite I’ve ever flown… by a country mile. I have flown the Helix, Crossbows, Switchblades, Ion 2, Waroo’s and many others. Still waiting to try the Rev and Nemesis

Kite: Ozone Instinct Edge 11m
Board: Underground FLX 128
Wind: 15 – 23 knots NE probably gusting to 25 at times
Water: Flat with chop
Rider Weight: 79kg
Rider Ability: Intermediate (3yrs-jumping, kite looping, just starting unhooking)
Usual Kite: Own and fly 07 Waroo’s. Crossbow’s prior to that.

NEGATIVES:
The only flaw I could come up with, if I was getting super picky, I would prefer a tiny bit more depower throw on the bar. But then again, I’m not used to this kite yet. Oh.. and yeh… it doesn’t come in pink damn it !

POSITIVES:
I don’t know where to start.

Hardware: Bar and lines superb quality with 5 line system all labeled and super heavy duty. The Instinct is a high aspect flat kite. The kite construction is faultless in appearance and pure quality all the way. It doesn’t have one-pump which I actually prefer. There are no bridles at all except to spread the load on the 5th line and give the kite its high projected area. The valves are the best I’ve used and inflate/deflate super easily. All fittings and fixtures on the kite are very well thought out and only there if necessary. The bag looks awesome, is a good size and does have all the bells and whistles.

Flying: It delivered a lot more power than I was expecting from an 11m. The power delivery and depower is so smooth and it ate gusts better than anything else I’ve ever flown. The kite seemed really grunty and just seemed to perform better and better as the wind got stronger. I didn’t get the opportunity to establish is upper and lower wind ranges but I sure would love to find out… especially the high end as the boost on this thing was amazing. The stability of this kite is brilliant; it just sits where you left it and is so predictable in flight. The first thing that really stands out is that these kites have almost no backline pressure which takes a little getting used to but I started to love after about 10 minutes. The great news is, this sucker turns without backline pressure as well. It’s hard to explain but this kite turns so effortlessly at any radius you choose. I’m not a great kite looper as yet but back loops were powered and strong for the whole 360 degrees of the loop which is a really nice change for what I’m used to. It was always fully powered through turns, both up and down stroke with no sign of stall.

I was able to get used to this kite really quickly which is unusual for me but really nice.

But the thing that I could not believe about this kite was the boost and hang time. I couldn’t get over it, particularly considering that I wasn’t anywhere near its upper range. For the whole time I was out, I was constantly surprised by the height I was getting on boosts. It goes huge! Hang time has always seemed the same to me on kites before this one but it stays up there forever. It’s actually a bizarre feeling being up there that long which I’ve never experienced before. As such, the landings are really soft.

I cannot comment on how the Instinct flies unhooked as I didn’t try it and wouldn’t be qualified to give an opinion although I would really like to hear someone’s opinion on that aspect.

I’ve read every thing I’ve just written and it sounds like a pimp fest but this is an honest review by a normal rider. I have done other reviews which have had a ton more negatives and in my opinion, justifiably so. I’m not asking you to take my word for it, but if you get the opportunity, try an Ozone Instinct Edge. I’ve never enjoyed a kite so much.

I never thought I’d say it, but my Waroo’s are going up for sale.

Cheers,

IAN

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:56 am 
Medium Poster

I got my 11M Edge about a month ago to complete my 2 kite quiver with the 15M Sport. I have to say that 11M is powerful and I can easily ride it in 15kts and stay up wind on my big board and I'm 200lbs. It's insanely fast turning, and I'm still not used to how lofty the thing is. I haven't had it in anything over 22kts but can easily see handling it safely in 30-35kts. Great kite, I love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

This is nice to hear, especialy since other brands kites are being released now. But it makes sense that the 2007 Instincts still measure up to 2008 model kites and their invoations (hype or not). It is after all same generation kite. It has been developed rougly during same time as most other brands. But that manufactoring in their own factory makes it possible to release the kite super fast = early. And calling a kite released in february 2007 for a 2008 might be a bit strong :)

I love the Edge to. Since I sell the kites I get to ride all of them and they are truly different to each other. But Edge has my vote, it fits my riding very vell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:08 pm 
Mlkman.

How is the Sport different from the Edge?

I have the 06 11m Instinct. It rocks :) I can ride it on a Glide in ten knots (no, I am not exaggerating, I weigh 155) and ride it up to 30 knots, no problemo.
Insane gust muncher, very smooth... all the stuff other riders say.

Curious as to the differences between the Sport and the Edge.
Oh, I did get to demo the 11m Sport for an hour, but have never ridden any sized Edge.

thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

well if you liked the sport, youll love the edge.

I do freestyle and i think the sport is crap compared to the edge

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:27 pm 
Rare Poster

QUESTION: Can anyone give me an opinion/review of the 9m Edge ? I would like to get one of these as well as the 11 but I am concerned that 9 might be a bit close to the 11 in wind range. Conversely the 7 is too big a gap. Any thoughts ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have the 9-11-13 edges and love them! I fly in an area with rather large gusts and these kites make the wind seem pretty good. The 9 meter is my favorite. I have flown the 9 in 35-40 mph winds and was blown away! It was at the top end for sure. I could go upwind without pulling depower but prefered it for comfort. Letting out the depower only for the extremely large jumps! The kite loops easily with or without power. I also rode my 5 meter light on the same day with same winds both times on a 127 misfit, I was amazed i could ride a 5 without stroking it and still handle the 9. The quiver i have has alot of overlap but I wanted to be sure I would be able to handle everything! I weigh 195 6'4" hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:28 pm 
Medium Poster

Why sign Ian when your name is felix? :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:05 pm 
Rare Poster

My nick name is Felix. My name is Ian. Sorry for the confusion Frederics.

Waynepjh: Thanks for the info... much appreciated. Interesting... the actual flyer shows the 9m and 11m on the whole instinct range as having an almost identical wind range. It had me a little confused. Here is the link:

http://www.flyozone.com/downloads/insti ... yer_07.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:16 am 
Frequent Poster

hah i have that flyer in my room.

dont question ozone, they are always right.

[ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next