All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Review Cabrinha Switchblade 3 12.0 2008
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Review for Cabrinha Switchblade 3 2008 12.0

Times tested: No Comment
Range: kn to kn

Good: Light bar pressure with nice feeling on steering, smooth grunty power, turning speed

Bad: Nothing

Review: Well what a super afternoon for a kite and not only that we got to test the new Cabrinha Switchblade 3 on some 2 - 3 ft side offshore waves. Clean lines and gusty 14 - 18 knots with the occasinal 20 knot gusts out the back.

The Switchblade 3 (SB3) we tested was the 12m version and I got to test 2 different ones with varied bar size (essentially large and small bar).

The Switchblade 3 is a pure Bow kite with concave trailing edge and supported leading edge bridle. 4 line SLE bridle set up with pulleys at the kite end in improved positions for better and faster steering and no pulleys at the bar end.
One pump system with external but very strong feeder tubes to the struts.

Board 128 x 38 underground 2007 and rider weight me (Daz 68kg)

First impressions.
The wind was really light to start with and in fact so dodgy that it was a concern keeping it in the air on the beach. I thought I would just do a couple of down winders to check the feel but as luck would have it the wind pick a bit and it turned out quite nice for wind, although very gusty.
I felt firstly the very light bar pressure and put the kite straight into the hot zone to get some punch from the chicken loop. The kite flet in neutral like it would lack power due to this very light wind and bar pressure, however immediately the power was there and I was lit in the marginal conditions. Apparent wind increased the power and I could hold a good edge. Such excellent power in light wind for the 12m and as the wind picked up you could feel the punch in the kite but with the ease of depower in a short bar movement.

The kite was super steady in the canopy which was interesting as Cabrinha have not used any battens to stiffen it, instead relying on the development and continued evolution of a pure Bow style kite.
The kite did present nicely in the neutral zone and in power, there was no fluttering or fuss from the canopy or trailing edge.

The power was smooth and solid from the kite and a few times from the gusts the lift and punch was a surprise. But the kite did smooth out what was a very gusty session nicely so that you actually took it for granted that the wind was great in the session and not really that gusty at all.

Turning speed is fast, nice speed and similar to the Rebel 08 in speed of turn. The kite looped perfectly and even underpowered I could backroll and downloop the kite knowing that it would have made the downloop easy once I can around to see the kite again. Full on kiteloopers will be confident to throw this kite into any looping moves they want.
I was confident with the turning speed to dive the kite straght to the water until the last second when I could turn it back to where I wanted.
I did not ride the SB2 however it was supposed to have a little delay in the turning, this if so was totally rectified with the SB3 as it responds quick and as you demand.
Also having tested a large and small bar, I preferred the smaller bar which provided for me a better feedback to the kite, however I suspect that this was more my adjustment in getting used to the kite than anything else.

Pop is great and will suit those who are a little lazy in there edging like me, just relax and jump essentially, and jump big.

Hang time was very long, like gliding in, even some small hops off a little wave lead to a hovering off the water hang time more than one occasion.

Wave riding well you know what I am going to say, with a pure Bow kite it is sensational, total depower but also running down wind along the wave the kite does sit there waiting for you to catch up. the direct steering feel aids in lining up waves and trimming so you can concentrate on the wave and let the kite sit where you want. Also whipping the kite back when riding down wind down the line the kite responds well.

Relaunch is simple and easy as expect from a bow kite. Self launch and landing is pure bow style.

The bar is very simple and relies on either a bar end ring pull through safety for beginers or push through depower for normal flying, depowering off the bow pivoting depower - that is letting the bar right out.
You can also do a simple mod to run a reride flag out depower to one of the LE bridle sides.
Essentially Cabrinha are confident on the full bow depower as the safety which does make a vast improvement for practice of unhooked moves as reride is easy.

Construction
the kite has so many new impovements with construction and is definitely now a very strong kite, without affecting the weight. The seams are sewn now in a higher reinforced system in the LE and there are improved systematic reinforcements over the kite canopy. There is new material which is stronger and resists tearing greater than last years kites.

I am very confident that this kite represents super performance and a distinct lack of disappointement for anyone. I really liked it and it gave me that 'I want to keep this kite' feeling.

All in all the reports from the other crew was thumbs up, no complaints at all, we all agreed that this kite was awesome.

for more info and photos

http://www.southcentralkiteboarders.com/cabrina.html

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Advanced
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 10.0
Most Used Kite Size: 10.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 121-130
Brand Affiliation: Shop
Similar gear used: Rebels 07 and 08

For pictures and more reviews click here

Last edited by dazza5172 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:35 pm 
Medium Poster

Wow! Probably you had a different kite. I tested the 12 and 10. For me as I know the SBII very well, because it was my favourite kite for almost one year there is still this annoying delay in reaction time when you pull the bar on one side. Yes, the construction is beefed up and even the bar which was very good is still a little better and he is flying very well but I'm missing a real improvement concerning the steering. Now there are so many other kites out there which have this more precise and direct feeling which only C-kites could offer in the past. When you compare the new 10 and 12 you will recognize that the steering remains the same. This could be good for somebody like you who love the 12 but for me it is time to try something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:28 pm 
Frequent Poster

tried the 10m. Agree with Nekitesurfing about stering and the small delay in reaction time...why you percieve this kites as stering is fast? what does it mean with your saying your affiliation is "shop"?

ftw i liked the kite aswell but for diff. reasons

Post subject: SB2 vs SB3 questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:56 pm 
Medium Poster

The SB2 has been one of my favorite kites. One of the things that I enjoy about the kite is the stability when trying new things, those are the times Im glad the kite is slow to re-act or turn. Its nice to know that kite hasnt taken off because of a glitch on my flying skills. I find when the kite is very powered or overpowered the re-action time is how I like it, otherwise it does feel slow to respond and takes more of a effort to turn the kite when not so powered.
Im hoping the SB3 will move the bar back to more responsive than the SB2, does anyone else feel this is the case or is it really the same as the SB2 ?

BTW: My GF who is just at the keeping up wind stage just picked up a SB2 and made huge progressions as a result of the kite being slower to turn and so well behaved. Plus she felt more confident in what to expect for power in the kite after a short time.

More comparisons on the SB3 please, also interested in how it compares to the Rev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have been loving my SB2's in 10+14. But now they are for sale, because "I made the mistake" of trying a Royal Era 12. Just ordered the 10+14. In my intermediate experience it's another world regwrding flying speed and fast reaction! Haven't tried the SB3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Megabear wrote:
tried the 10m. Agree with Nekitesurfing about stering and the small delay in reaction time...why you percieve this kites as stering is fast? what does it mean with your saying your affiliation is "shop"?

ftw i liked the kite aswell but for diff. reasons

Firstly the affiliation, Shop is only because this is the only drop down selection on the review and it is the most appropriate one to select. I do NOT work for our local shop but am invited to test the different kites as they come in. As many may or may not know I fly Rebels, purely because I love them, the option to test the SB3 is because it is another kite the shop sells and so I have the option to fly such. It makes no difference which kite I like I am free to purchase any and it makes absolutely no difference which. We have a club website southcentralkiteboarders.com and the shop like to support the local crew by inviting us to demos and release nights. They don't care which kites we fly. I have no conflict of interest in any way between the shops brands, unless I did a 'shop revew' in which case I would. My reviews are on the kites the shop sells, therefore I won't post reviews on other kites, but most importantly I will never bad mouth them either (check my posts to verify). If I haven't reviewed a kite it is becuase I either haven't flown it, havent flown enough or didn't really like it.

Now as for the kite,
the steering is efficient, responsive and light, I really can't see how you would want it to turn faster? it would turn too fast, you need some steadiess for tricks surely, and coming from a very responsive kite, the Rebel 10m 08 I would have to say that it compares well.

However I think all in all a review is one thing but my advice is don't change from SB2 to another brand until you have flown the SB3, and if you don't like it fine, but thing is I stand by my review.

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:58 pm 
Frequent Poster

ok, thats cool with the shop thing - just asking...

i still disagree with you though on the stering, i tried tons of kites that were more responsive... but yea i still like it because - as you say - i wouldnt want it to turn faster, its great for control...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

All good

I want to try a smaller kite 8 - 10m have you flown the SB2 8m?

Post subject: Re: Review Cabrinha Switchblade 3 12.0 2007
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:56 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks for a another great review. Nice to hear that you compare the SB3 to Rebel 08. I tried a rebel 9m the other day and it wa great. Unfortunately not one pump :-(
I am looking forward to try the SB3's. Can you please describe the mod a bit more. Is it similar to the Slingshot Rev and Takoon Furia where you can leash to a frontline under the bar?

dazza5172 wrote:
Review for Cabrinha Switchblade 3 2008 12.0

You can also do a simple mod to run a reride flag out depower to one of the LE bridle sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Peterbjarke

The mod is essentially at the kite end of the depower strap there is a loop connection for each of the 2 bridle lines. At this point you would add a ring and ball set up then a line down to your safety.

Heres where the preferences start on what you want from a kite. For me this provides extra comfort that if the kite got into trouble and the bow depower was not sufficient then the flag out may be. I have to check with the rep as he is sending me the modification and I want to get the full OK that the kite will flag out (like the Halo did) on this one front line.

As soon as I get some photos from the Rep on this I will post. the issue with this is that you have a line going down outside the bar and for spins would need to use a spinning leash set up at your harness. it would not go through the bar hole as it was not large enough and might impede the push through stopper.

the other option with a spinning leash (or for beginners) is to use the ring that is already set on one steering line.

Again comparisons with the Rebel are that you have a 5th line set up which runs through the bar hole. Now apples and oranges so its personal.

The comparision to the Rebel 08 on performance is feel only.

the Rebel provides a nice comfortable bar pressure which I consider light, however it does have a more direct pressure feedback through the bar. you can feel the power in the kite through the bar. Also over all the kite feels really grunty.

the SB3 has a soft and very light bar pressure and you can't feel the grunt in the kite however the grunt is still there, just its through the chicken loop.

both kites are = in turning from my short run 12m to 12m

so again is like personal preference really.

I havent flown the SB3 enough to really compare total net grunt but really it would be easy to say the Rebel has more but this would be way too early for me to say, and only because of the bar feel, so I think little difference at this point.

Daz

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next