All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: RRD Type 9 Review........my take
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:32 pm 
Medium Poster

I've been on this forum for years, and read many reviews that have helped me with buying all kinds of kite paraphenalia.

I thought I'd give a little back and post my quick review of the RRD Type 9.

For the last 2 weeks I've had a chance to try both the 9m and 12m Type 9's. Prior to flying these, I was on the 2007 GK Sonics, demo-ed the 2006 12 m North Vegas, 2007 Eclipse 10m Thruster, 2007 Flexi ION2

I am totally impressed with both of these Type 9's. I tried them in both waves and flatwater and I couldn't ask for better performers - at least for me.

My skill level: I do a lot of hooked in freestyle with kiteloops on almost every tack - can't get enough of them. I hit the waves in the sping and fall with summertime being mostly flatwater at my local spot.

Now for the RRD Type 9's:

The thing that stands out on these kites is not only how fast they turn (fastest I've tried-kiteloops are so damn easy!) but also the range. One session I was riding the 9m when others were on their 12m. After kiting everyone was happy with there kite choice, including myself (we all weigh around 170-185). Also, just two days ago I took the 9m out in the nuking winds here in the San Francisco Bay Area - gusts in some places to 50 mph! I didn't quite see that type of wind, but I did fly the kite 9m Type 9 in the 30's. My buddies were on 8m Sonics (they have lots of depower) and they came in before I did. Truly an amazing range. I'm sure the 7m Type 9 would have been the kite for the conditions, but I was happy to see the 9m handle as well as it did!

Tested teh 12m in light conditions last week at Larkspur. The 12m Type 9 hangs with the 14m Sonic my buddy flies and turns way faster - no comparison. I was still throwing tricks in really light winds - this thing actually makes it fun to kite in light winds.
Also had the opportunity to test the upper limit of this one, as well, at Marina Bay the other day. 20-25 with higher gusts. I was totally comfortable and wasn't intimidated to do my normal freestyle. Even tried a hooked-in forward, throwing a downloop-kiteloop at the apex - thanks for motivating me to try Chris!

I only saw the 12m Type 9 in the waves - too light for the 9m at Stinson Beach the day I was there. What impressed me was the turning speed of course, but also the very comfortable jibing and cutbacks it allows. The kite provides a very consistent and predictive pull throughout the turn (unlike some kites I've owned). I can easily say that it was one of my most fun sessions to date, and the waves weren't big at all. Can't wait to get into more challenging conditions with them.

One last plug: about a year ago I started trying unhooked tricks...........never really got a comfortable feeling out of the kites I was flying. The other day on the 12m, I tried doing railly's, backloops, forwards and just regular unhooked airs. I was amazed that I was landing everything very easily. Unfortunately, with the season winding down I won't be able to step it up a notch and try the S-bends and more - but I'm damned excited to get out there at the first opportunity to try.............................

These kites have already made me a better kiter in just two weeks. I can't wait for more time on them.

My quiver is on the way!

- Mark

PS: I'm no pimp. Not associated with any brand. Just really excited about all of the new kite technology out there - more specifically these killer Type 9's.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:39 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks for review. Did anyone tried 15m2 Type9? I can`t find windranges on RRD webpage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:22 pm 
Medium Poster

Tried the 9 and 7 and found it very rude to ride. Yes the wind was a little gusty but compared to other kites at the same time the type 9 offers almost the contrary to a smooth ride. It's a very reactive and fast kite. The new global bar has a grip like sandpaper, very abrasive and the depower rope was spinning around the front lines. For a bridled kite the type 9 could have slightly more depower. For the first year Roberto developed the kite on his own without the help of an experienced designer like Simone Vanucci the result is ok but nothing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:39 pm 
Medium Poster

some folks like reactive and fast kites, and the type 9 is all of that. pretty nice in the waves....

Post subject: RRD Type 9
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 pm 
Medium Poster

NEkitesurfing wrote:
Tried the 9 and 7 and found it very rude to ride. Yes the wind was a little gusty but compared to other kites at the same time the type 9 offers almost the contrary to a smooth ride. It's a very reactive and fast kite. The new global bar has a grip like sandpaper, very abrasive and the depower rope was spinning around the front lines. For a bridled kite the type 9 could have slightly more depower. For the first year Roberto developed the kite on his own without the help of an experienced designer like Simone Vanucci the result is ok but nothing more.

NEKitesurfing,

Can you let us know what you ride and what you've tried. What kind of riding do you do? What skill level?

For those of us working on a new quiver, it helps to have comparisons between kites.

As for the bar, I liked the "sandpaper" feel. It certainly help having a grippy bar when you are controlling your kite with one hand! The RRD Type 9 is easily controllable with one hand (turns, tricks, etc).

I do agree with you that the "safety-line" that runs parallel to the centerline does get tangled when you do a lot of spins.........lots of bars have the same type system, or are going to this system for 2008.
There are three solutions for this:
1. Don't just do spinning tricks in one direction
2. Attach the safety to the chicken look attach point - advanced riders only.
3. If it gets twisted after a while, grab just above the chicken loop and rotate the swivel - it's really easy to do and is fast.

Not sure what to say about your comment on RR's kite design without Vanucci...........all I can tell you is that these kites performed better than other that I listed above.

Again, please let us know which kites are better..............if they are out there I will try them for sure!

Thanks,

- Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:30 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hi, I'm one of the new reps for RRD in the US. They have new distribution this year.
I spent alot of time with the Product manager at Surf Expo, and it's been confirmed that the grip on the bar is going to be softened up on the production runs.

It is not my intention to get on this forum and spend alot of time on the forum trying to argue with people over what they think about a kite opinion wise, but the previous post by NEKitesurfing is the first feedback I've heard that the T9 is a harsh riding kite. I'd like to know more about what kind of kiter NE is too, but purely to better understand what type of kiter the T9 is best for.
NE: If you want, you can PM me.

Thanks,
Jeff

Post subject: You out there?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:05 pm 
Medium Poster

NEkitesurfing wrote:

I hear the sound of crickets around here........awfully quiet.

NEKitesurfing, you out there? Your post wasn't a "hit and run" was it?

- Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:21 pm 
Medium Poster

Yes, harsh ride that's it. I'm working as a kiteboarding instructor in Germany and Brazil. It doesn't matter how many freestyle moves I can celebrate but I'm experienced enough to describe that the two kites I tested on a dealer meeting gave me a harsh ride compared to the whole Cabrinhas 08, the Fone Bandit, Naish Torch 08 and Helix, North Vegas 08, Flexi IonII.
I discussed it with the other testers and we all came to the same conclusion.
Concerning the improvements it is not the first time that new kites in some points are worse than older designs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:11 pm 
Frequent Poster

I know that the first production kites are due out of the factory very soon, so I'm sure that the kite NEkiteboarder was flying was not production.
I also know that the prototyping went through several iterations, using several different cuts and MANY different bridal configurations. The Prototype 7 and 9 that have been making rounds in the bay area are near final (Actually, the 7 is the same as production), and are very smooth fliers (Comfortable in gusty conditions) indeed.
The 12 is also very smooth in gusts, quick turning, but some minor bridle adjustments have been made to decrease bar pressure on the production kites.
All of the feedback on the kites we have let out for demo (12 and 9) has been excellent, in fact the other review on the type 9 by whitecap is based on the aforementioned kites.

The first shipment of Type 9s in the US is due in October, and based on our early feedback, we can't wait to get these in Rider's hands!

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:34 pm 
Frequent Poster

am sure nekitesurfing is just having a dig,as from my experience with the 9&12 t9,there is absolutely nothing "harsh" about the kite at all,quite the opposite in fact. comparing the t9 with last years ht,the main issues for me were lack of speed in the 12 and lack of stability in the 9. the t9 12m is the fastest kite of that size,i've seen to date. the t9 9m is very stable wherever it sits in the window. i thought the ht's were great kites,but the t9's are way better.
a lot of people expressed doubt about what this years range would be like after simeone left. from what i've seen he wont be missed.

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next