All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: ECLIPSE 2008 NANO 1ST RIDE
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:24 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am just back from a 3 weeker to North Carolina (Cape Hatteras) where I hooked up with Dimitri to test the 08 skywalker prototypes and grab a ride on his pride and joy, the new 08 Eclipse Nano. Dimitri has been telling me all about the new Nano for the past 100 emails so I couldn’t wait to try it.

First few days on the island were light though so we spent too much time skimboarding and doing ocean downwinders on the 14 Thrusters but the day came or late afternoon. I had just got back from a midday session and the phone went, 15 to 20 kts at Jockies Ridge some one hour north of where I was. 10 seconds later we were on the road heading north trying to beat the Nags Head 5 pm errrrr rush hour.

One hour later afeter missing the turn off down the little track twice we arrived….. hmmmm it was more 15 kts and everyone was on 12 and 14 and even 16’s. Bummer, anyways rigged up the 12 and went out for a blast, plenty on the 12 and jumping no worries. I actually spotted the only Nano 9 in the world in its bag on the beach, I wonder.
I returned to the beach and rigged up the Nano, the construction on this new beast is fantastic and looks totally bomb proof, double stitched, reinforced all over the place.
Totally new direction for the 9 and 12 nano this year and what a refer to as a “properâ€Â

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Phil,

I ride Thrusters 14 & 10 and totally love them.
I consider going for a Thruster 16+12 and Nano 9m next year. Do you thing there will be too much overlap between T12 & N9?
Any idea of the high end of the N9 (from what Dimitri and other say if you didn't have the chance to try the upper end)?
I am on the heavy side 105kg.

Thanks

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi Frank, havn't ried the new thruster yet, certainley looks nice from the new factory photo's though so hard to comment. Think i will be going 9 and 12 nano, I was that impressed. Drop dimitri a pm/email he could prob give you better advice. Just heard the new bar is spot on as well so looking good.

phil

Post subject: NANO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:31 am 
Frequent Poster

After reading that reveiw on the nano 9 im really kicking my self in the ass for not taking the 12 hour drive to hatteras labor day weekend hope they have one available soon

Attachments:
dsc_0150_478.jpg
dsc_0150_478.jpg [ 96.14 KIB | Viewed 1438 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:05 am 
Frequent Poster

Well since Phil has pimped :wink: the Nano 9 so well I figure I might as
well chime in about some of the other 2008 Eclipse kites that I had the
chance to demo yesterday.

Background Info:
Conditions were light wind (12 - 15 knots) and oceanside here on the Outer
Banks. Occasional wave of maybe knee to thigh height, so nothing big. I
weigh a solid 200 lbs. wet and was primarily riding an Airush 137 Hammer for
a board. I would say I am an advanced rider but nothing special, really just
got into wave riding this year and can do basic jumps and currently working
on unhooked wake style tricks. Currently riding 2007 Eclipse Kites (14m & 12m Thrusters and 9m Nano).

The Kites:
2008 Thruster 16m was the first kite I tried since I am a bigger guy and the winds were light. Here are some of the highlights that I noticed.

Excellent construction and a huge improvement from the 2007 Thrusters. A lot of attention placed on the details and beefed up where they need to be without excess material like some spots on the '07's. Kites also felt lighter, not sure why but I liked. Overall a much more polished finish this year.

In the air moves very fast through the window and likes to be at the edge of the window. Turning speed was good for a 16m but felt a little sluggish in initiating the turn. Keep in mind the wind was light so that may have had something to do with it. Because the kite likes to sit forward in the window due to it being a higher aspect kite I had to really send the kite early in my turns. Once I got used to that it was smooth sailing. The bar pressure was more than my 07 Thruster 14m but still felt great. Might have even made it easier to keep track of the kite without looking at. This kite definately pulls like a bus as far as power goes. Not sure what the high end would be at this point but definately would be the largest kite I would need here in the OBX. To be honest I don't think I would need to go larger than my current 14m.

The wind was pretty light for jumping but there is more pop in this kite than my 07. About the same hang time I would say but I think the potential for more height once you get it dialed in.

The biggest thing I noticed was that the kite was way more stable than the 07 Thrusters. Less jelly fishing and a more steady pull on the bar. Granted this could change in higher winds but was impressed compared to my 07. For freestyle in light air I think this kite will be tough to beat in 08. In the waves I think I would stick to a Nano (see below) but that is just my opinion. The kite likes to keep moving and sometimes in the waves it is nice to have a kite just sit and wait for you to finish riding a wave.

Next kite I tried was the one I have been waiting to get my hands on, the 12m Nano. This kite was truly amazing. I love my current 9m Nano but always seem to need more wind for it. The 08 12m is my prayers answered. Besides a more polished look the kite handles like a dream. Has almost the same wind range as my 14m Thruster which means it could replace the 14 in most wave riding conditions. The kite is amazingly stable and sits lower in the window compared to the Thruster. Will basically sit parked while you ride a wave, even when riding down the line towards the kite. Pivots on the spot when you want to turn and travels through the window with a little less speed than the Thruster. Jumping the kite appears to have more hangtime than the previous 07 Nanos and doesn't seem to flutter as much when diving it after a jump. Overall this kite is top on my list for buying in 08. Bar pressure seemed about the same or maybe a little more than my 07 Nano. This kite should also work pretty good for beginners I would imagine but I would wait till a beginner reviews them.

Last kite I tested, only briefly, was the 12m Thruster. Dimitri wanted me to try it and I was convinced there was no way I would be able to ride a 12m in the light wind we had. I even walked a couple hundred feet up the beach so I could drift downwind. This kite surprised me in how fast it moves through the window and can generate power. I actually stayed up wind on a few tacks much to my surprise. Not enough for me to jump but I imagine this kite due to its speed would send me flying in the right wind. Like the others more stable than the 07's with less flutter and jellying.

Well getting late for me here. The bars were improved from last year as well but will save that for another day, or someone else to comment on. Overall I am very pleased with what Eclipse has coming out in 08. The kites are worth a test run and I think many people will be pleasantly surprised.

One last thing all the kites were one pumps which I am 50/50 on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

hey that was no pimping just honest reporting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:02 am 
Medium Poster

I was on a trip to the Outer Banks this week, to hook up with Chris Moore at KHK's, for a Master Course in P.A.S.A..I happen to run across the Greek Freak, on the Beach, doing a downwinder with a few other Riders on Eclipse Kites...I told him that I was in town for a week and I wanted to ride the boards and the New Kites...He had the 16m, 14m, 12m Thruster, along with the 12m Nano...I personally rode the 14m Thruster first, and man did this kite turn on a dime, and also turns super fast, for it's size...Well I thought that was going to be the high point of the trip/ride, until he handed me the 16m Thruster....I came in for a back-roll, with a down-loop, on the same wave, and before I new it, I was doing a double back-roll, with a down-loop, and the kite was going the other way, waiting on me to fly it, that was how fast and steady it was...Now this was a 16m kite, that had great lift, and was as fast as a 12m kite....Here is another plus/bonus, it did not so call " Square Up" like some kite do under load, in a kite-loop or a down-loop, this kite was very solid....Great Job...I was also all over the New Bar System that he has come up with...I am very IMPRESSED with his trigger system for the Trim Loop/Chicken Loop...That needs to be the Standard for our sport, it is simply and bullet proof, and try to NOT make it work...It will work every time, in the water, in the sand, and on dry land, etc..EVERYTIME....It is out of this world...EASY.....I hope to ride the 12m and the 9m Nano this coming weekend, because it has been dead here for wind this week, but calling for Wind Saturday...N 15 to 25...Later....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

yeah wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the new chicken loop, I met the inventor/designer Monsuir Bean when I was out there. Dimitri ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

:lol: :thumb:
That was a good one "Mr. Bean"
Yes he did a good job on our CL mechanism. We are working on having the new 2008 ECLIPSE WEB PAGE up and running by the end of this week.
You are going to like it. A lot of info to help every body choose what they are looking for.
Chris Cousin, Steven Burlington, Kevin Thorton, Chris Cifers, and many more have done a great job in order to bring you the new 2008 ECLIPSE kites.
Thank you so much for your support every body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

These are the NANOS colors

Attachments:
NANOS on the beach.jpg
NANOS on the beach.jpg [ 142.6 KIB | Viewed 812 times ]
 [ 10 posts ]