All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: REVIEW '08 10m Nemi HP VS. 2008 9m Waroo VS. 8m Royal ERA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

Had great sessions behind both 08 kites at Mantanzas inlet here in Florida last Sunday. I have been riding an 06 12m Waroo all last season. I started out Sunday riding my 12 (way overpowered) 25-30mph and then jumped on the Nemi 10. (on AB)

Initial impressions:

Very good power and super quick turning, as long as it was deep in the power zone. It does fly way foward in the window, so you do have to have a good tug initially to get it to turn (as in a transition) but once it backs down a bit in the window it will ZIP through the powerzone. You have to be ready for it. It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but it just takes some getting used to. It does jump well, but you have to re-time your jumps because of that initial lag when turning. Sat real stable in the sky and worked great in the waves.

Then on to the waroo 9:

All I can say is it felt familiar and comfortable. Where i was real tenative about yanking the Nemi around when on waves or transitioning, but the Waroo wanted to be abused! Yank it left or right, in or out of the powerzone..It just didnt care. Stable and smooth. It does turn slower than the Nemi, but the turn is way more consistant. The depower is smoother and not so on/off as my 06. The jumping felt very similar to the 06. Not super high, but nice and floaty and you could re-direct the kite well when you were in the air.

Oh yeah! The ERA 8m:

First thoughts were crap, how can I get going on this little thing. THEN! Wham tons of pull and this kite is super quick. Even though its is lightning fast, you can still feel where it is in the window. It really generates power when you move the kite too. To say it goes upwind would be an understatement. You can point your board where ever you want and it still will pull you upwind. I was flying on this kite and never felt out of control. Because it turns so fast and generates good power in the turn, it was great on the waves. Now this part is the most inpressive of all. I had been riding it for about 15 minutes and was having so much fun i forgot to pull a big air. PAUSE...OMG it starts out all normal and you say to yourself, ok normal jumping kite. Just then the hand of GOD grabs the canopy and tosses you up even higher. Its weird, there is a secondary pull from the kite. I was jumping higher than I had been all day long. It is just an easy kite to jump. If there is one bad point it would be wakestyle moves. When you edge real hard against the kite, it does pull right to the edge of the window and doesnt give that real grunty explosion of power when you pop of the water.

overall, all were good kites, the Waroo felt more comfortable to me, the ERA impressed me with the jumps and the power from such a small kite, and the HP left me wanting more and uncomfortable all at the same time.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: REVIEW '08 10m Nemi HP VS. 2008 9m Waroo VS. 8m Royal ER
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

2talented wrote:
If there is one bad point it would be wakestyle moves. When you edge real hard against the kite, it does pull right to the edge of the window and doesnt give that real grunty explosion of power when you pop of the water.

So, when you say "wakestyle", can you explain exactly what you did to test it that way. ie, did you unhook and then what moves did you throw?

Thanks.

Btw, (general question) is asking for grunt from an 8m kite asking too much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yes, I unhooked on all the kites and threw a few raileys, frontrolls, and backrolls. Nothing too technical.

As far as grunt, not really. with 30+ mph that size should pull pretty good and it did, just when you loaded your edge real hard it shot forward. Probably just something to get used to now that I think about it. You may have to head downwind just a bit more before your load and pop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:30 pm 
Medium Poster

2Talented, which kite will you be buying, if any?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

Made my mind up that if I go with the waroo 9 i will spend the extra cash and go for the 2008. With that said, I keep thinking about that ERA. It was great, but would the 10m suit me better if I keep my 12m waroo. What do you guys think. I am here by the Space Center in Florida. Would the 8 Era be too small. My current set up is 12m waroo, 132 UG FLX, 135x45 Dimitri Pro (light wind).

[ 5 posts ]