All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: 5th line
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:49 pm 
Rare Poster

Where on the flat (bow) kite do you attach the 5th line? then where on the bar? I assume you adjust the length so it stays slack while riding? Funny, I bought a bow because I thought they were safer, but I have to admit that I find C's easier to self launch and land, though I love the range of my Waroo.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:07 pm 
Frequent Poster

My understanding is that flat kites with bridles do not need a 5th
line. These kites are suppoed to lose all power as soon as you rlease the
bar, so no 5th required. One of the things that make them attractive to
many is the fact that it only needs 4 lines.

Yes I agree, there are advantages to a 5th line...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Even though it voids the warranty, I have always (for 2 years) set up a 5th line on my SLE (waroo). I tied it to the pump leash, and when the kite is flying up in the air, the 5th line is loose enough to bow out about a foot.

Here are some posts which discuss the subject or the 5th line:

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... t=5th+line

There are a number of reasons for putting a 5th line on an SLE, as indicated in the above posts, mainly dealing with the issues of self-launch, light wind relaunch, and redundant safety systems. What are the reasons that you are considering this option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:54 pm 
Rare Poster

The reasons re the following:

When I released the 2007 Waroo 13 when I was alone and winds started gusting to 30, it went into a death spiral, and I felt not in good control or safety. Once the kite was down, it seemed like in an instant, it would just fly up again and spiral some more. I was nervous about walking up to the kite holding the leash line, that it might slice my hand.

Questions:

1. I don't have a pump leash on my kite, I don't think. I use the bridle.
2. Does the 5th line just go to the kite leash and that's it? With a foot of slack?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

What I am calling the pump leash is the loop of webbing on the leading edge of the kite, in the exact center of the leading edge, to which the bridle, going to both the left and right side of the kite, attaches. This webbing serves as the pump leash, and it is there that I attach the fifth line. This piece of webbing seems to be very highly reinforced, as you might guess, since it is the anchor for both right and left sides of the front line bridle. For this reason, I feel that it is strong enough to act as the attachment point for the 5th line. The representative for Best kite company may not feel that way, however, as the placement of a 5th line on a Waroo, immediately voids their warrenty. I haven't heard whether or not the placement of a 5th line on any other company's SLE or bow kites, voids the warranty... but I would be interested to know this, and also, I would be interested to know the rationale behind the policy. I would guess that a kite company would not respond by saying: "You will void the warranty, because we do not make our webbing loop attachment points strong enough". I would guess that the standard authorized response would be "since our kites are designed to be safely used with only 4 lines, and without the encumbrances and disadvantages of a 5th line, we have not felt the need to perform the extensive testing required to certify the kite's performance and safety, while being flown with 5 lines."

You might want to read this recent post, before passing judgment on the pros and cons of incorporating a 5th line into your set up. Hearing about incidents like this, makes me feel like modifying my set-up, so that the 5th line acts as my primary safety, rather than as my secondary safety, as it is now rigged.

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:59 pm 
Rare Poster

I suspect that Best worries that if the kite inverts, the fifth line will tear the kite in half - in this forum , some swear it would never happen and is a figment of bow users' imaginations, others have reported such incidents.

So your fifth line attaches from the center of the leading edge to the kite leash?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

From a riders perspective

Bridle kite front lines are hung more from the middle,

This would cut the kite in 2 places. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Dunoyer wrote:

So your fifth line attaches from the center of the leading edge to the kite leash?

At present my 5th line attaches from the center of the leading edge to the top of the power line adjuster, connected by a short piece of Q power line, that I can cut, with my kite knife, in order to prevent the 5th line from ripping the kite in two, in the case of an inversion, where the 5th line purse-strings the kite.

[ 8 posts ]