All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: North Rocketfish 08 5'9'' first impressions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'
Hi,

I have been riding mostly on my SRT 5'11'' this year and am looking for a board more down the line.
I ride most days in 20-25 or more knots but have some 15 knots days too. Waves usually waist to overhead. Kites 7m and 9m on 20m lines. I have no surfing background (but am working to have a future :D ).

Here are my first impressions of RF 5'9:
The good:
- Super comfort even on short chop water conditions (feels like a custom - a good one)
- Very stable holding the line: straight, tight turns or long ones
- Light and ness stiff than SRT or RF2007
- Smooth turning and i dare to say impossible to let the tail slip without intention
- Very easy board, no adaptation time! (unlike some boards i tested have)

The bad:
- Too small for my size (83 kg) as a one board quiver :cry: Although it is longer than RF07 5'5, doesn't feel much bigger. Not the proportion i was expecting from 5'5->5'9 :-? . Let me clarify: Too small for sub-15 knots winds because i want to have a 9m as my biggest kite.
- Plastic fins vibrate at high speeds (did a little speed run to see how it felt :-) -it felt very nice, by the way). (note: carbon fins from SRT vibrate too, but less, now that i think of it many of the boards i tested have fins that vibrate at high speeds)

I just hope the 6'0 is exactly the same just a little bigger and not like the change from 5'5 to 5'10 of last year...

See you!

Here are a couple of pics of the board with her sister and some friends :lol: :

Attachments:
rf07_55_rf08_59.JPG
rf07_55_rf08_59.JPG [ 22.24 KIB | Viewed 2999 times ]
rf59_srt511.jpg
rf59_srt511.jpg [ 47.61 KIB | Viewed 3000 times ]
pranchas.jpg
pranchas.jpg [ 79.86 KIB | Viewed 2999 times ]

Last edited by Wawando on Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:50 am 
Frequent Poster

thanks for the post have u ever tried the jimmy lewis surf board? wat do u think of that compared to the rf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Wawando

although the fins vibrated did they hold and could you ride off them? This being the critical issue, do they slide out?

Does the board rail or do you need to ride off fins? is it like a sailboard?

I did not notice any such on the freestyle fish? just wondering as I think they must be the same fins.

Daz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

dazza5172 wrote:
Wawando

although the fins vibrated did they hold and could you ride off them? This being the critical issue, do they slide out?

Does the board rail or do you need to ride off fins? is it like a sailboard?

I did not notice any such on the freestyle fish? just wondering as I think they must be the same fins.

Daz

They vibrate, but i only hear a sound. It is not constant, only at high speed or toeside angles. I felt no effect on the ride. Just like it happends in the carbon fins of the SRT.

I had a real good time riding this board backside. It carves and rides sooo well toeside!

naishkiter10882:
I never tried a jimmy lewis. I tried about a dozen different surf boards, production and customs.

Attachments:
rf07_55_rf08_59_2.JPG
rf07_55_rf08_59_2.JPG [ 17.36 KIB | Viewed 2974 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:02 am 
Medium Poster

Hi Wawando,

I changed from an Amundson custom RF 5.5 to the 6.0 (promodel custom) and it fortuately still doesn't feel big. That's what I like about the design. I think it is due to the extra rocker compared to the 5.5. My 1 board quiver now is the 6.0! (though I still have 4 boards..)The outlines of my custom really look the same.

You should give the 6.0 a try! You will love it.

John Amundson is a great and really approachable guy. Give him a call to discuss your questions, you might even end up with a custum version!
You can find him on the net.
http://www.amundsoncustoms.com

Roel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:34 am 
Rare Poster

I used the 5,6 out in Mauritius and absolutely loved it. Felt small at first as I'd always used the bigger sized RF. It felt small at first but once I had got used to it, it was just sweet. Super grippy and holds a huge amount of power and can really be driven hard into the bottom turn and didn't slide or bounce out, which on One Eye was pretty essential!!

I think even for the UK conditions I will be getting the 5,6. I'm about 13st but it gave me plenty of volume and planning power even in the lighter conditions.

Looks the biz too 8)
Ordered mine, can't wait for it to arrive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

I agree with Wawando that these are not big boards for their length - I have the 6'0 at 85kgs. The nose is quite narrow and very thin with most volume under the feet. The board feels much more high performance than earlier RFs and once on a wave is very smooth and precise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Didn't John say in a interview (somewhere on the web) that his year he decided to put his "pro level" boards in production. Many production boards are blown up versions of what the pros ride. The market is ready for the real deal now. Enjoy and charge it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I'm surprised with the new core.
RF 08 is very comfortable (flexi, less stiff).
For me better than tuflite and traditional epoxy.
Similar to polyester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

-wAVe- wrote:
I agree with Wawando that these are not big boards for their length - I have the 6'0 at 85kgs. The nose is quite narrow and very thin with most volume under the feet. The board feels much more high performance than earlier RFs and once on a wave is very smooth and precise.

I love everything about the board. But i felt i need a slightly bigger one. Anyone tried both 5'9 and 6'0?

[ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next