All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Skybanditz Reviews the Best Nemesis HP 10m
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:02 pm 
Rare Poster

Skybanditz Kiteboarding Center in Miami was happy to be sent a demo 10m Nemesis HP for testing and review. We had used one during the prototyping stage when Alex S brought an unmarked model down to Crandon earlier this year. After five minutes on the kite, I remember telling him that, instead of "Nemesis", it should be called the "F-ing Elevator".

Anyway, fast forward to last week. We received the 10m Nemi in its final version (see attached photo). During setup, I do have to mention a couple points that had me scratching my head. The bag has a detachable "hood" that kind of looked like a shower cap. This may have a very specific function, but I didn't have time to figure it out. I was in a hurry to get on the water with the wind blowing 18-22 mph.

I started pumping. The single point inflation was great, but this model didn't have the one way valve. It was a normal inflation valve, except made out of a harder material than normal valves. It was impossible to pinch and the valve ball was not activating. With the small diameter leading edge made of Cuben Fiber, it is so important to inflate this kite to its absolute max. But it was tough. Once the kite was full and the valve was closed, I noticed there was not a tight fit between the valve and the cap. It would leak if jiggled, which proved to lose a little air on each impact with the water.

I'm not being negative. Just observant and informative. If I've noticed it, so have others, and Best is the Best at addressing details like these.

On to performance.

The nemesis flew very smoothly through the window. It was very predictable and easy on the bar. Francisco Escudero, owner of Skybanditz Kiteboarding also tested the kite with me. We traded between the Nemi 10 and a 9m Waroo Pro. To compare the two, there are similarities. The thin leading edge and kite shape made for some likeness. But the new pulley system on the Nemi bridle offers less bar pressure and more of a hybrid feel on the corners of turns (smoother).

For that morning in the waves, the wind was just under 20, and I felt I needed some more. The kite would jump and perform fine, but i knew that it had more in it. Later that afternoon, and the following day, the wind picked up to 25. Now, the kite was smiling. It was boosting huge and turning heads.

We tried it on both 20m and 25m lines . If you like wake style aggression and looping, the 20s are for you. Man, this kite could loop. The 25s are fine for boosting big and cruising.

Another difference from the Waroo Pro is what we call a "chubbier" feel. This is a good thing and refers to how trucky it is. You can lean against this kite hard and the power is there when you need it. Low-end muscle. It's rigid leading edge makes for solid canopy. You don't feel like the kite turns one corner at a time. It moves as a single wing.

In conclusion, it's not everyman's kite. It's not for fashion. It will not make the waroo obsolete. But it fits right into the top of Best's lineup. If you are a recreational rider who just likes to cruise and boost, the Waroo is a great kite. But if you're ready to start pushing your limits and those of what a kite can do, the Nemi is for you.

Attachments:
Nemi at 87th.jpg
Nemi at 87th.jpg [ 69.13 KIB | Viewed 724 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

re the ball valves, it takes a couple of cycles of inflate deflate before the ball mates with the valve base, give it a week, they bed right in.

re the bag top coming off it means you can slam the kite in there any which way and then cicnh it up as you like.

Explore the bag a little more, you'll find things hidden in there you misseed first time round, magazine pocket, spiral bottom zip, full-length inc bag side zip...

it's all good.

[ 2 posts ]