All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Naish Cult 12m & Slingshot Rev 11m review
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:02 am 
Rare Poster

I had the chance of riding both kites yesterday in La franqui here in France. It was a super sunny day with 14-20kts of wind.

I've been riding for about 3yrs now starting from C's and upgrading to SLE's with Naish and Best. Kites ridden; 2004-2006 Boxers,Torches, Shockwaves. Cabrinha CO2's and SB's. Best Waroo's and Slignshot Fuels,Diesels from 2005-2006. I generally ride freestyle with lots of powered tricks, unhooked etc. But have to resort to big jumping when the wind here gets too strong to be able to anything else.

So onto the review;

I used a 2006 Liquid Force Element 128 all day yesterday.

I rode the 12m Cult first on 20m lines and was very happy on it right away. Its very similar to last years Boxer in the way it flies. I found the bar pressure to be less though and it is really light to fly. Its quite slow for a 12 but then again the Naish SLE's are sized quite big so it would be. What amazed me most was how good this kite flies unhooked as I was able to unhook without having to depower at all. The underbar sheeting system is awesome and I think its a great new feature. Jumping is very bow like though...no huge upward pull but awesome, infact super awesome float and glide.
My wife also tried the kite and found it to be to her liking as the chickenloop this year is shorter than last giving her a good few inches more reach. She also like the new smartloop and recommends it for short armed people;)

Then onto the Rev. I've seen the windranges quoted on the web as being 18-27 (I think) so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to ride the 11m Rev. No problems what so ever...it was fine. These two kites are really different and I'll try to explain why. The Rev feels much more like a C kite with wicked depower. The 11m is super fast and turns way quicker than the Cult plus it really pulls you through turns. The bar pressure is heavier than on the Cult but it feels just right and you aways know where the kite is.
Unhooked is great on this kite as well but I found it to be more fun than the Cult because its so lively. Jumping is really good. It felt very much like a Fuel in this respect as it really does haul you off the water. Timing the jumps is also more C like than with the Cult whereas it does drop you down alot quicker.

The kite itself looks great and the bar setup is really neat. However i did find the centre lines would snag on the centre hole on the bar when you really turned hard plus the bar didn't slide as smoothly as on the Cult. The chicken finger/ donkey dick is much stiffer than on the Cult but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The depower trim though is difficult to pull if its all the way in. Also I ditched the kite once and although relaunch was super easy I had the chickenloop release by accident and it took me a good 3-4 min to figure out how to re-arm/connect it. The system is really fiddly to put back together and in cold water it just becomes annoying.

So which is better for me,

I gotta say I loved the Rev, it is an amazing kite for freestyle and I would have looked past all the faults in the bar and chickenloop. However the Cult is so smooth and well finished. Naish is clearly one step ahead in the game and the bar, lines and all the kite fittings are first class. Plus it promises so much for riding in all types of conditions and a super wide wind range aswell that I decided I'm gonna have to go and get some of that.

Hope this helps to make your kite choices for the winter...I totally recommend testing out the kites though as the marketing hype is just that!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:45 am 
Frequent Poster

You said you were riding Cs and "upgraded" to SLEs? some people will not call this an upgrade!! :)
Nice review, although u seemed to like more the Rev but you went for the Cult... :)
I have tried the Helix 12 and Rev 11 back to back but it was in marginal conditions, overpowered. The Rev does turn quicker but I felt more confortable with the Helix, depower was better and I had more feel and control over the kite without having to extend my arms like I had too on the Rev. Like you said the Rev is more quick and feels smaller than the Helix but over powered the Helix was friendlier and more confy.
Did you get the chance to try the 9m Cult?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:38 am 
Rare Poster

Nope, haven't tried it yet. I got a good deal and bought a 9 & 12m so next weekend I'll hopefully get out on them in Holland.

Sle's an upgrade...hmm...you're probably right...but the Rev is going in the right direction as a hybrid. Still, probably won't see Ruben on it anytime soon :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hybrids are closer to C kites more and more... I will wait for your review on the Cult 9m. Hope yoiu have more luck with the wind than your Rugby team had with the English! c'est dommage moi j'etais pour les Bleu!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:07 am 
Rare Poster

Actually , I'm finnish...so I really loved watching the Argies whip the French.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:38 pm 
Rare Poster

I tested them both as well. I went on the Rev`s because for my freestyle it went better through the loops especially at the end of the loops where the Naish speeds down a lot, same as all other SLE`s so far.
The Rev was much better there, turned quick and continues and I felt very comfortable, close to C-Kites. But the best for everyone is to check it out themself. :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:16 pm 
Rare Poster

Thats what I found too. The Cults arent the greatest for looping. They still tend to drop you off rather than provide some last minute lift on loops. Gotta say the Rev was pretty sweet with that.

How did you find the bottom end on the Rev?

Post subject: Re: Naish Cult 12m & Slingshot Rev 11m review
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:04 am 
Rare Poster

Hey Henrikite,
Thanks for the review, I've been struggling to decide between the Rev & Cult.
While I'm experienced, I'm a cruiser and I think the Cult will be the best kite for me.
Your review was clear and objective.
I have a set of 2006 torches and love em but I want to upgrade and ride a kite that maximises my fun.
I like tricks but rarely unhook/do loops and do a bit of wave riding.

Rode the Rev and thought it was great but then rode the Cult and was amazed - it was like a space-age wing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 am 
Frequent Poster

Chriss11 revived this thread from the past!
I'll take the opportunity to ask Henrikite about the Cult 9, I am sure by now he's had time to try the kite.
So what about it Henrikite?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice review..

After testing them, i as a advance kitesurfer would use the Rev for freestyle 11-13 for more power/pull unhooked. For the waves I'm totally in love whit the Cult, especially the 6-7.5.

No matter what, just dish that SS bar, and use a Smartloopbar. They are 2-3 years in front on them IMHO.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next