All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Review Liquid Force Havoc II 12.0 2008
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:33 pm 
Medium Poster

Review for Liquid Force Havoc II 2008 12.0

Times tested: 6-10
Range: 10kn to 17kn

Good: Fun to ride. Very reactive and almost no bar pressure. Every time easy to control. High quality construction.

Bad: There is still no swivel for unspinning automatically the front lines. Wear on the dyneema depower rope.

Review: Wow, this kite rocks! It does it all so easy and comfortable. Very reactive kite with very low bar pressure and easy to control. Good construction with love to the details. Adjuster integrated in the chicken loop similar to slingshot but way lighter. In gusty conditions as easy to control like a Crossbow III but way more reactive and fun to ride. Good training kite for unhooked stuff and wave riding. Can be turned fast and also drifts like a wavekite.

Rider Profile

Weight (kg): 61-70
Ability: Intermediate
Style: All
Preferred Water: All
Preferred Power: Good
Preferred Kite Size: 9.0
Most Used Kite Size: 12.0
Preferred Board Style:
Preferred Board Size: 131-140
Brand Affiliation: Shop
Similar gear used: Bandit, ERA, Switchblade III, Crossbow III, Omega, Helix,

For pictures and more reviews click here

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:46 am 
Medium Poster

thanks for the review! I got my 10m havoc, and should try it this afternoon! looking forward to it !! :D

++

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:00 pm 
Frequent Poster

i've ridden the 16,14,12 2008 havoc and agree with what you say - even the 16 has light bar pressure and is responsive.

The 2008 havoc is a BIG step up from the 07.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:41 pm 
Medium Poster

tried the 10m in crap wind today ( 10-15 knts with my 5'8 home made surfkite directionnal ). I only tied it in waves, no freestyle. Very light bar pressure ( very easy to unkook ), and a lot of power, as compared to the size . I nearly felt the power of a 12m, and managed to go upwind very easily.

There's more power than with my 11m furia. I think some of the difference is due to the line lenght ( about 25m, I guess. I need to measure to check, but it's longer than on the furia )

on the other hand, I found surfing wasn't as easy... I need to shorten the lines to really check it up... It's definitely a big 10 m!!

didn't have time to test it more, but the depower is ok, veryt sweet in the turns, and gives a big boost in jumps

that's my first feeling on the kite, and I need to try it again... :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:10 am 
Medium Poster

Good review and bang on from what I can tell.
I have a 14/10m quiver. The 10m is my favourite BY FAR. Great wind range and so easy to fly.
One thing I JUST noticed and you hit it dead on is the lack of a swivel for the front lines. I'm just learning to do back rolls right now and my front lines get twisted up in no time. Good motivation to start trying them goofy foot I guess.
The 14m is OK, but not as sweet as the 10m. I've been using the same bar/lines on both as the far, at least, is the same size on both. Are the line lengths supposed to be different?
Just bought some 10m line extensions to give the 14m some more low end. Will try out soon.
Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:50 pm 
Medium Poster

reason for the lack of the swivel is because LF has not found a suitable swivel that will not break under loads or destroy itself over some time. Once the right swivel is found that will not break so easily, then it will be incorporated into the design.

Ive ridden the 16m, 14m, and 12m and agree with the original poster of the kite. Plus this kite can boost and as mentioned super good for learning and doing unhooked tricks, as well as unhooked wave riding.

Also if you like the Havoc, try the new Session, also a great kite with its own characteristics.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:50 pm 
Frequent Poster

I flew the session 16 - not with a production bridle however. Bit slow and an absolute pig to get to go upwind (flew back to back with 16 havoc), you have to power it up and edge like a MF.
In the smaller sizes its supposed to be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:07 am 
Frequent Poster

12m session is a fun kite to ride. so easy!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:24 pm 
Medium Poster

I can't believe that LF hasn't found a swivel that can withstand the required loads. Most other kite manufacturers have...
I tried my 14m Havoc with 10m line extensions yesterday in VERY light wind. With the right board I think would have been pretty good. Surprised how much easy it was to fly at that height and the sine through the window was soooo long (a good thing, imo, when no wind).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:43 am 
Frequent Poster

It's really hard to make a swivel that can stand up to corrosion, sand and the kind of forces that are present on the centerlines.

Generally, swivels either stop swivelling or break over time. A number of kite companies do use them, but they also fail regularly. My guess is that LF chose not to include the swivel because they were striving for a really simple bomber bar design.

The centerlines getting twisted bothers me as well, but pretty much all you have to do is a couple 720s on the opposite tack and it's solved.

In some ways, it's a bit like the one-pump discussion. It's an extra feature that adds convenience but also increases the chance of failure. it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next