All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rebel08 9m first impressions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:40 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'
Hi,

I have been riding the Rebel 9m for a while now. Conditions: from 13 knots to 25+, small waves, board SRT 5'11'', 45cm "home made" bar, 20m lines, 83kg, experienced rider. I tried several times inner and outer backline pigtails and ended up prefering the inner position (i.e.: front position of the back lines pigtails).

So:
- Responsiveness: very responsive even when fully depowered (back lines slack)
- Turning speed/radious: fast and tight
- Windrange: this is one of the most impressive areas. Specially the lowend. Didn't find the topend yet (didn't even pull the depower).
- Depower: huge and linear with little bar travel. Very, very good!
- Smoothness & Comfort: super just try it and you will see.
- Upwind: with my SRT 5'11'' it is unbeatable!
- Relaunch: Very, very good. Can relaunch like a "bow" pull backline, flip and let go (had to do it with feet on the ground, kite on the water in the waves). I removed the bungees and didn't miss them. I have landed the kite on the water in every possible position!
- Bar feel: could not be better! Maybe because i am so used to Rebel07 7m...
- Bar "weight": just as i like in the inner setting, lighter on the outer setting of the backline pigtails.
- Boosting: didn't try
- Unhooked: didn't try.
- Freestyle: didn't try.
- *pump: North: PLEASE DON'T PUMP * PUMP SYSTEM. This week two mates had problems with failures that lead to deflation of *pumps of two different brands (no, not North) .

When doing hard loops on the beach, it flaps a bit. So I pump it hard. Didn't notice it on the water. This said, the only non flapping kite i ever tried is the Helix 7m!

My conclusion is that it is really a super kite in all areas.
I finally found a perfect match for my Rebel07 7m.
This 9m is a must have for the winds we have here.

I am really, really loving this kite!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I rode the 10m (in fact i had it for a while) and it felt too big for what i am looking for.

See you!

Last edited by Wawando on Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:19 am 
Very Frequent Poster

What do you feel the difference was between the 9 and 10? Is it that different?

Last edited by schmoe on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:21 am 
Frequent Poster

I agree with most of WaWa's comments and am truly stoked to own this 9-meter. I came from riding RRD boosting kites, then to '07 Vegas and now the '08 Rebel. The main reason I bought a small flat-kite was for wave-riding but now I will add the bigger sizes too, for a variety of NorCal conditions.

One more plus: this is an insane boosting kite. I can clear more waves and whitewater than ever before at the coast and boost like the old days on flat water. If you had predicted that I'd buy a flat kite, ride it in the waves AND be jazzed about the jumping and power-delivery, I woulda' said "Not with only ONE kite!" I was wrong. (It's funny, but when I sound so enthusiastic about the '08 Rebel my friends look at me like I'm some kinda' religious fanatic. You know, unwavering brand-devotion type of thing, but...)

No, we are not mental or blinded by brand-affinity-- just really impressed with the kite. Try it, fly it aggressively and you will be charging like never before. If I'm wrong, I guess that's why we have vanilla and chocolate and 30 other flavors!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:53 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

schmoe wrote:
What do you feel the difference was between the 9 and 10? Is it that different?

I felt the 10m is really bigger than 9m. More like a 11m :-)

For the conditions where i ride, a kite with the windrange of the Rebel 9m is a must. There are a lot of days of 20 knots that got down to 15- in lulls and up to 30 in gusts. The 9m fits in perfection! The 10m looses more in the highend than gains in the lowend. The 10m is perfect for heavier riders or for lighter riders as a replacement for the 12m.

See you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:45 am 
Frequent Poster

102kg, my 10's in the mail. If your big and you know it clap your hands.

Can't wait down loaded the North Rebel movie off the site and watch it 3 times a day. Yeah I know it's probably not healthy but I'm excited first set of new gear in 3 years (got a 14 and the new x-ride cause it's fairly chopy where I ride).

Wawando- did you try the 10 and the 9? Are there many more differences other that what you mentioned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:05 pm 
Medium Poster

The 9 is killer. The 10 is a different kite, more like the 12 (I've ridden all 3). Its a little less a fast pivoting kite. Glad somebody else took the goofy bungies off. Its my theory they negatively affect the kite but when I posted here I'd removed them people started shooting me beginner tips, etc. Just an excellent all around kite, not just for waves. It jumps as high as the rider can take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:42 pm 
Frequent Poster

I've gone for the 7/10 08 combo and this is working really well for me at 83kgs.

Last edited by -wAVe- on Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

cRAZY Canuck wrote:
Wawando- did you try the 10 and the 9? Are there many more differences other that what you mentioned?

Hi,

I agree with what duckman said.
At 102kg i think 10m will be perfect for you like 9m is for me.

See you!

[ 8 posts ]