All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Caution Mayhem wil blow your socks off
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:50 am 
Medium Poster

I've had the opportunity to spend some time (around 6hrs) on the new Caution Mayhems in 9m and 11m & *%&%^ these are superb kites. Most sessions have been between 15kt - 25kt with varying surf conditions from flat to overhead.
I wouldnlt say that I've tested the top end or bottom end range of either size as yet but more like the "sweet spot".

In typical Caution fasion, there are no bumps, lumps, protrusions or other "aerodynamic" changes that are obvious to the eye and they look very "normal".
The performance however is anything but normal. Aside from myself, there have been a number of other people trying these kites out and the response from everyone so far has been unanimous praise for the Mayhem. The riders trying them out have come from a wide range of products that they currently ride (Naish, North, Sling, GK, Caution, Eclipse).

The Mayhem is easily one of the best jumping kites out there and aside from the massive lift it also has great hang time and float for gentle landings. Often, kites that offer one of these characteristics are lacking in the other but the Mayhem has got the perfect combination this time around.
The bar feel is excellent and although the kites are super fast they are not 'twitchy" at all and you really feel encouraged to push everything a little harder because just feels very predictable and controlable.
There is loads of pop for no whip and wakestyle stuff and although I'm not into unhooked moves I could not get the kites to backstall from over sheeting, so they should be ok for that as well.

For wave riding the kite is super stable and the "drift" is great when going down the line. There is no tendancy to fall out of the sky, even in moments when the lines are completely slack.
The turning speeds are plenty quick enough for absolutely any wave riding situation.

There is an option to adjust the turning speed and even more stability for beginners.

The bar is typically Caution. Plain & simple but very functional. I believe there are some bar changes that are not on the ones I have.
The bag is pretty basic & nothing to get exited about but I suppose I'll get over that as I don't fly the bag.

Remembering that guys flying other brands have all had very positive comments on the Mayhem I'll keep it clean by only comparing directly to the Answer II as follows:

More height in jumps
Longer hang time in jumps
More "float"
More pop
Larger "sweet spot" on sheeting motion
Faster & smoother turning
Improved stability

Hopefully the info is useful for anyone waiting for info on the Mayhems

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:54 am 
Medium Poster

Yeah!! 8)

I'm waithing for my Mayhem kites to arrive any time soon..

Feels just like christmas... Wait!! It is christmas soon.. :wink:

Thanks for the info

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 am 
Rare Poster

Nice Review S.A.

I've got a Mayhem 9 and love it.....I'm really going to push it this weekend we've got great 20knot+ SE for the next 6 days :D

Post subject: Re: Caution Mayhem wil blow your socks off
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:09 am 
Medium Poster

This thread is a bit quiet. Any more reviews or info would be appreciated?????
:?:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:09 am 
Medium Poster

i have been out with the Mayhem 7.0 once, and i made a personal speed record.
http://50knots.xs4all.nl:3006/gps-kitesurfing/gps.asp?mnu=user&val=375&uiJand=96
Max GPS 72.7 KmH.
So it works..
I'm going to South Africa this on saturday, and try the Meyham out in the waves for 2 weeks, so i'm sore i'll test it to the limits...

Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Anyone have pictures of the kite?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:34 am 
Frequent Poster

pictures...
http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding.com/viewtopic.php?t=1068

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks!!! :thumb:

It'd be nice to see one of the bar unraveled so we could see the line setup, safeties and leash points.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:49 pm 
Frequent Poster

I'll take a pic of the bar this afternoon and post it :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:18 am 
Medium Poster

OK, instead of waiting for other fliers input I have had some of the Mayhems for about 2 weeks now.

Firstly as a company that designs gear mostly for wave riding they have made one hell of a freestyle and freeride kite!

Jumping- The Mayhem jumps a size bigger than it flys. This meaning I have been cruising, not feeling that powered and send it for a bit of a jump. Then up you go, as if you were powered up. When it is powered it jumps to the stratosphere, then hangs and then puts you down softly. The jumping characteristics of this kite are the best I have ever flown....

Unhooked- Firstly this kite is dead easy to tune for unhooking. It isn't so sensitive to tuning like other SLE and bow kites. The pop is relative to the power. Direct steering and C kite characteristics make it a dream to unhook.

Turning- Turning speed is great in all sizes. The 14 at first I thought was slow but if you crank the bar the speed really kicks in. Kiteloops have the right feel to them and the Mayhem is very easy to adjust the power mid loop when hooked in.

Construction- I won't delve too deep here but everything works well and simplicity is the key.
The Bridles are the shortest of any SLE kites we see here and refuse to create any problems.
The kite specs state a 2 layer trailing edge. The older Cautions were ripstop to the TE and would flog out after a few seasons. The Mayhem has what looks like a Dacron TE which should see out many seasons.

The Bag- I actually like the bag. The less straps etc hanging off the better I think. The bag is very durable and has a bar pocket and a small zipped compartment.

Summary-This is the best kite I have flown in 08 with no shortfalls in performance. Finally a SLE kite with no drawbacks or compromise in any style. For the first time ever I have switched from a C kite. :thumb:
Kites I have owned this year- Naish Torch, F-One Bandit, Advance Kaiman, Naish Alliance, SS Rev, Naish Cult
Kites I have flown this year- North Rebel, Best Waroo, Cab SB2, Ozone Edge, Best Nemi HP, Core and a few more.

Jason

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next