All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 2008 Eclipse Thruster 8m
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:16 pm 
Frequent Poster

Got to ride the new Thruster 8m on Friday. Winds were in the mid to upper 20's most of time, with a few gusts over 30 every now and then. Background on me: used to work in a kite shop over a year ago, but am back to the "normal" 8-5 business type job. Been riding since 2001 and have been on C-kites up until the past 6 months. Other kites I have demo'd over the past few weeks: 2008 Best HPs, Waroos. Also, I own a quiver of Royal ERAs. I tried to compare the Thruster to these as best I could. I only rode the 8m, so can't comment on the other sizes.

If anyone is interested, there is a review here:
http://www.extremekiteskiteboarding.com ... .php?t=984

The short version is: I am going to put in an order for a quiver of Thrusters. My riding style is a little of everything. I like to jump high, like to ride waves, do unhooked tricks, etc.. I've been looking for a kite that would do well in all these areas, and I think this is it. Plus, this year the construction looks bomb proof. They really went the extra mile in terms of making sure the kites are built tough. Being the jackass I am, I tried to do a huge fancy handlepass in front of a few guys that were watching me, and I missed the pass. By the time I came to the surface, the kite was still in the air but I couldn't get to the bar in time. It landed in front of a nice size wave(we had the hurricane passing by and had big surf for Florida)...the wave rolled the kite about 4 times, then another wave hit it, another one, etc... thought for sure the kite was toast and I was going to have to buy it...made it about 10 feet from shore, and was able to water relaunch it and it was still in one piece. I called it a day after that...

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:40 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Like I said before: You have to try the kites and you will be amazed about their performance and their quality. It is just a fact. We did everything we could to bring you one of the best kite in the market. And this is only the beginning. :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks a lot. This is one helpful review. Comparing a kite with similar competing designs is the most interesting info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:12 am 
Frequent Poster

I grabbed the 8m from kitenb when he was finished so I could do a downwinder on it. I don't have anything to add to his review because he pretty much said it all. The kite was plenty fast, had good power through the turn, jumped extremely well and looked solid up close.
I'm interested to try the bigger sizes and to see the final bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:56 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Now you need to try the other sizes from Eclipse kites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:26 am 
Frequent Poster

Dimitri wrote:
Now you need to try the other sizes from Eclipse kites.

So where are they? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have the only ones and it is very hard to let them go. But we have 400 kites coming in 2 weeks. Be patient grass hopper. :thumb:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:49 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

So is the recommendation to go one size up with the thrusters? Meaning another kite 9M (like Waroo pro) equals Thruster 10 in terms of range? Kind of make sense, the kite is very round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You have to understand that the NANO 9 and THRUSTER 10 are 2 totally different kites. It is what you are looking for. Just got out of the water. It was blowing straight off shore but the waves were still OK. Another rider was out there on a 10 m "won't mention the company" and he could not stay upwind. I was so powered on the NANO 9. But if I was in the flat water I would of used the THRUSTER 10. So it depends what you are looking for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi, What is the wind range of a 10m Thruster compared to a 2007 10m Bularoo or a 2007 9m Waroo. Would it substitute for their range?

Thanks it sounds like a great kite.

[ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next