All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: GK Sonic 11m 2007
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:37 am 
Medium Poster

Hi there all, i am looking at the GK sonic to purchase second hand.

Interested to know anyones feedback, pro's , con's etc on a Sonic 11m.

I am about 150lbs (65kg) and ride TT about 130 and i am about to get into some waves on a 5 9" directional

Looking for a kite with good range and can handle gusts well.

Mostly i have flown C kites, but i am trying to get into a 1 kite quiver for a decent price.

Would love to hear what people have experienced with the Sonic.

I have flown Crossbow but did not like the bar pressure as i have ridden Naish kites with low bar pressure for the past 3years.

I am not going to be in a situation of try before fly.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: gksonic 14m 2007
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:03 am 
Medium Poster

hello from alaska i bought in may got my firt bow kite gk sonic 14 m awesome kite for me im 155 lbs and ride a 151 cm liqwide force board ways 10 lbs ,,all summer long i rode in 12 to 25 knt and i love wave riding that all i do and yes i wont a surf board to but i was in south padre island for a week in november i love the 14 because its grate for light wind and yes 25 kn to i just sheet it in so has grate power and depower 14m is awesome one inflate and never lunges forward in gusts at all very stable kite i got mine for 1200. bar and line s i would get a used o7 iwindsurf.com has some and kitefourm flowen it 60 time or so ... and its good for a nother year ,, very tough kite ,, flys by its self you will be happy good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:06 am 
Frequent Poster

in my opinion, certainly the best kite bow kite of 2007. the A-KPO will extend the windrange by a huge margin, simply adjust it all forwards in 25+ knots and you will feel much safer.

I flew the 06 11m as a one-kite quiver for a long time, then upgraded to the 2007 because it was better everywhere, especially in construction. they truly are a brilliant kite, designed for an intermediate to advanced rider. a beginner will have trouble trimming and riding the kite in marginal winds, but once you ride it for a few sessions you will realise just how good it is.

extremely fast, brilliant turning speed, the jumps are astonishing and the windrange is easily the best of any kite i have tried. I have flown the 11m in as little as 10 knots, and as much as 35 knot gusts without too much concern.

I am 63 kg, i use a 125 twintip and like flatwater, speed and big jumps. if you're looking for a PURE wavekite, i would look elsewhere as the sonic needs to be ridden with some speed to develop all its power. the faster it flies, the more power it has, which is what i love about it. if you want a kite to pull you onto waves and forget about it, get a C-kite. If you need awesome windrange, great turning speed and huge jumps, get the sonic.

oh and glue the one-pump tubes into the valves!!! i had one come out today after a hard crash and the leading edge deflated :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:31 am 
Rare Poster

Quote:
oh and glue the one-pump tubes into the valves!!! i had one come out today after a hard crash and the leading edge deflated

Do you have the zip ties connected with a small plastic part? First 2007 kites didn't have them. You can get them from your distributor. Doesn't gluing the tubes make it hard to change a bladder? The 2008 GK kites come with a more sophisticated system that doesn't have zip ties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:45 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.

Sorry to be a kook but i expect that the "A-KPO" are alternative line attachment points on the leading edge?

One concern i have is with all the briddle stuff that there will be maintenance involved and i will need replacements which will be a struggle where i live.

How is the Sonic 07 in unhooked riding?

thanks again - kite safe :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:25 pm 
Medium Poster

oh yeh - what is the bar pressure like, how would it compare to say the Raven C kites, i am used to flying just one handed with the bar out toward the knot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:33 pm 
Frequent Poster

yeah my distributor told me that they didn't have them, and couldn't get the upgrade kit that mat pendle put out for the 07. i just glued the tubes in and put on some bigger, strong zip ties. they're not going to come out now. if i need to replace a bladder i might have to put a new valve on, which is easy anyway. it sure beats having the LE deflate after a hard crash.

bar pressure is light as a feather man, the sonic is one of the lightest kites out there. i kite one-handed mostly and the sonic is one of the best kites for this type of riding. my best effort yet is 6.5 hours of straight kiting in 15-20 knots, eventually had to come in because my legs gave way. the bar pressure can be very light if you move the rear line attachments to the rearmost or second rearmost points.

you are spot on with the A-KPO, basically mat pendle was the first to introduce adjustable bridle points to change the flight characteristics of the kite and its bar pressure, and now a lot of other companies are following suit. there is a tremendous amount of variability available on the sonic. I have tinkered with it and found F2/F4 and B3 to be the best setting for me, for winds up to 25 knots. above 25 knots and i move it to F1/F4 and B2 which extends the windrange considerably - although the bar pressure goes up.

there is no maintenance involved with the A-KPO, it's just a movable bridle. very simple to make a new one in the unlikely event that one snapped (kite caught by wave when flagged onto a front line or something). the bridle lines and kite construction are top notch.

i've never flown it unhooked, probably not as good as a C-kite though because you're supposed to use the sheeting ability of the kite to get the most out of it. same goes for almost all bow kites though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:44 pm 
Frequent Poster

As long as you have the kite trimmed right, it rides unhooked just fine. For waves you might be better with the Trix.

later

pebbles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

One of my pals out here has ridden an '06 11m Sonic as his one kite quiver for almost 2 years now... he's about 72kg, only has 1 board (size 134x39) and rarely sits out a session (I've seen him go from 11knots to 25+) and is not interested in upgrading the kite he loves it so much.

I've got a second-hand 2007 11m for sale in mint condition... PM if interested

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:55 am 
Rare Poster

the 07 11m is a phenominal kite. the one pump system is great, easy to take apart if you need to, and the tubes are bigger than other systems, making it easy to deflate if you don't want to use the also handy strut out valves.

as far as bar pressure, it is adjustable with the akpo. it is as light as the ozone, or it could be nice and heavy, but no where near as heavy as a crossbow. you have your choice where to put the bar pressure.

good build quality, and flys really nice, lots of range in the 11m, tons of top end. match it with a 14m and you have the perfect 2 kite quiver.

jumps as well as the ozones, with the same bar pressure, and it relaunchs heaps better, nice simple 4 line set up,,and no chance of a line tangle cause the bridle is designed so simple and short.

there is one on ebay right now, and some on ikitesurf for sale.

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next