PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:28 am 
Medium Poster

Rider: Ian
Age; 24
Ocupation: Graduate School Student
Height: 6'5
Weight: 240
Primary Board: Mission 144 with Watson Bindings
Other 07 and 08 kites ridden; Waroo, Yarga, Fuel, Contra, Crossbow, Switchblade, Contra,FreakDog, Airush.

I mainly ride overpowered and wakesyle with the kite low but ill throw a boost, loop, or transition for fun in as well. So I got my quiver of LF Havocs for 2008. Last year I rode the 10 and 14 havoc. This year I got the 8, 12, and 16..

First thing out of the bag I notice with the kites is the light weight yet quality construction. Great stitching and appropriate reniforcements on pannels, wear points, and high risk areas. The one pulley on the kite looks bomb proof. The bag itself is also top notch with plenty of straps and storage and it looks great. This years graphics are killer; clean yet edgy.

The bar is totaly different as well. Since I do lots of unhooked tricks one handed I appreciate the bar having a comfortable groved grip on top with smooth grip on the bottom portion creating a nice slip/grip combo. Additionally colors are clearly marked, as an instructor this is great for begineers remembering how to rig especialy with the kook proof lines.

The day I recieved my kites I pumped up my 16 in marginal and gusty winds *from about 8 to 14mph.
My first impression was the bar had way more depower per distance the bar was pushed out than last year.
Also steering input was way more direct a bit more preessure not enough to create fatigue but enough to feel the kite and know where it is. The turning speed is amazing . Way faster than many 16s I have flown and significantly better than my 14 havoc from last year.
Also stability and aspect ratio has improved this creates a kite that was staying aloft in signifcantly poor wind conditions around 8-9 mph. and there was no stalling on back lines even when unhooked a problem for many hybrid style kites. The canopy is riged stable and reactive compared to other 16's . One individual who borrowed my kite thought it turned almost like a 12.

The 12 shares many features the 16 does:

The kite's higher aspect ratio also make the kite fast through the window yet it is low aspect enough not to depower when going for high powered unhooked moves.

It loops way more like a c kite on a large axis rather than a tight square shaped turn. Additonally unhooking is amazing and predictable with a solid chicken loop that allows for one handed hooking in after landing without thinking about where the loop will be. The speed and aspect ratio also make this kite a powerful jumping machine with great float and hangtime espeically the 12.

Relaunch is super fast a-la tradional hybrid pull a line technique.

Amazing job by lf this is the greatest kite they have ever made in my honest opinnion I would not want to ride anything else.

Two days ago it proved it self again stable enough for cruising and stable for unhooked meanuevers during a rail slide session, *here you want a stable kite.
It is fast and powerful enough to get going in insanely light winds even fora big guy like me with bindings. 12 knots and you can throw down on the 16.
Additonally if you are into hooked in jumps or loops the kite responds incredibly well to both great for downlooping predictible yet smooth delivery.

I simply am amazed by this kite it has some similar characteristcs to other kites such as the switchblade or more tradtional C kites but the foward speed and control in my opinion is far more refined.

Now this kite is not only for advanced riders. It is easy to relaunch has a refined quick realease and intuitive safety and sheeting system as well as a solid chicken bone design. I have not flown it but the session may also be a great option.

If you want a high performance light wind kite look towards the 16 havoc.
I cant wait to get a windy day to get my 8 out in the surf with a surfboard.

Congrats to the LF family you have made an amazing kite. :thumb:

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Or if you see me at matheson or around south florida ask me to demo my kite, i just may oblige depending on how good the wind is.

- Ian

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:00 pm 
Medium Poster

keep those reviews coming I would love to hear other riders experiences on the new LF gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:25 pm 
Medium Poster

Completely agree with your review. I am just coming into tryin alot of new unhooked tricks (ride in similar style) and I need it to work in light conditions in SD. Thats where the 14m and 16m are killer even with a 130cm recoil board.

I have been flying the 14m as of late, since it is in the car and I love the kite. I do not even want to go back to my 06 rhinos anymore.

Thank Julian for the kite design, because he definitely did a great job this year on the kite.

Greg

ps: great review

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:07 pm 
Rare Poster

I fully agree with the review, out riding the 14m and 8m havoc today - and even a 7m hi-fi! The 08 Havoc is certainly a kite that suits all styles and levels of riding. I have never felt so connected to a bridled kite, plus it has the cleanest bar system on the market. If you think the havoc holds a lot of power in the turns, then try the Hi-Fi. Liquid Force have really hit the nail on the head with the 2008 products.

-------------------------------------
http://www.blownawaykiteschool.co.uk

Post subject: 08 Havoc kite
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:03 am 
Rare Poster

08 Havoc kite is so sick . I have been riding 16m since Sep , especially ligh wind condition !!!! really love this kite , hight quality bulding , turning faster than last year .

havoc control system is awesome . the red tab quick release is improved ,it's very easily to release it . it's super super clean than most brands .

Check out Hifi 5line control system , it's best weapon on current market .
if anbody get one change to try it , you will love it a lots .

Post subject: Re: 2008 Liquid Force Havoc 16 and 12 Review
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:23 am 
Rare Poster

big ian and fishman you both have 16m 08 havocs. whats your weight and when does the low end start. i just cant believe the lf website saying the 16m starts at 6knots. also what do you find the range is on the 12m?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:48 am 
Rare Poster

I also agree with Ian on this one. Ive been riding the 8, 12, and 14 all winter. They are by far the best kites ive ridden(out of All naish, all best, all slingshot, and tons of others). The range on the 12 for me is about 16mph-24mph. In 24 im really overpowered. I am 185 lbs. I ride a mission 138 with escalades. Its fun to jump on the high end just not so good for wake tricks. I can say that the 8m with a surfboard is one of the sickest combos. Its so fast by the time you get to the top your kite is waiting for your next bottem turn. And it jumps and loops like no other.
If you havent flown one do whatever you can to get your hands on one. Youll never look back.

b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:36 am 
Frequent Poster

the 12 meter 08 is awsome kite..better then last years..i cant wait to try the 10m...Havocs stable,easy to depower.nice low end /top power and no bar pressure.Good work LF :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:52 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I got the '08 havoc 10m. 75kg, 138 x 40 TT. starts being fun at 15 knots. It replaced my 11m waroo, could not be happier. currently the only kite I use, turned out to be the 1-kite-quiver for me. still have the '07 waroo in 7m for those nuking days or for wave riding, but for the last six months it never made it out of the bag.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:08 pm 
Rare Poster

aeberl wrote:
I got the '08 havoc 10m. 75kg, 138 x 40 TT. starts being fun at 15 knots. It replaced my 11m waroo, could not be happier. currently the only kite I use, turned out to be the 1-kite-quiver for me. still have the '07 waroo in 7m for those nuking days or for wave riding, but for the last six months it never made it out of the bag.

what did you like better then the 11m waroo 07? does it jump and go upwind as well as the waroo? i know the havoc has it beat in every other category it's just upwind and jumping i'm worried about.

[ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next