All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 10m and 14m Thrusters
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:19 am 
Frequent Poster

Finally got to try 2 of my new Thrusters: 10m and 14m.

Here are a few comments:

-Construction: top notch..lots of extra stitching, skuff guards, one pump, etc..

-Settings: I found the kites needed to be flown on the 3rd knot attachment point on the back lines. The first two knots kept the kite too depowered and made it turn slower. The third knot was perfect for full power and really fast turning.

-Speed: Fast...one of the fastest I have flown.

-Low end: more a true size...I've spent a lot of time on the 12m Royal Era, and the 14m has probably about the same low end as the 12m Era.

-High end: rode the 10m in some gusty west winds with gusts over 30..and the kite ate up the gusts well..think I could have been out in stronger winds. Very nice.

-Bar: love it. like the quick release system, spinning swivel above the depower strap and at the leash attachment point. has two o-shit handles, line extensions, you name it.

-jumps: Wow...The ERAs jump really high, but I think these are even better.

-unhooked: no backstalling when unhooking! The only thing I really didn't like about my ERAs was you had to yank the depower strap a lot before unhooking so it wouldn't backstall... at full power, and on the 3rd knot, these kites stay steady with no hint of backstalling...

-kite loops: no problem looping and the kite going the other way before you land..yanks you good, but get a soft landing because the kite is finished the loop with plenty of time

-water relaunch: only dropped it once and it popped back up with one pull of the outside line. need to test this more, but so far, so good.

that's it for now...... got a 12m Thruster and a 9m Nano I still want to get out on the water...

Overall, these kites are incredible and I am very happy with my decision to buy them.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:02 am 
Frequent Poster

When you say 3rd knot, is that starting from the kite side or at the end of the bridle? I'm assuming you're starting from the end and talking about the knot closest to the kite.

We've had no wind here, so I can't try out my new kites. I did put my 16 Thruster up in like 6-10mph and was not really able to ride. Really crappy wind so I can't say much about the kite, except that it looks beautiful in the air (even though it's pink!).

My initial disappointment in the pink color has lessened after taking my first round of verbal abuse. The black/pink really does look good in the air and some kiters, under their breath so others wouldn't hear them, commented that they liked the colors. Could I be a pink kite convert? We'll see...

Full review coming as soon as we get some wind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
so far we've ridden the 16m thruster in really light winds on the snow and did the same thing regarding knots. 3rd knot closest to the kite on the backlines and the knot furthest from the kite on the front lines. no problems with backstall, so the range from here will be quite impressive.

very very fast turning for a 16m and nice big floaty jumps in marginal winds. can't wait to try it when we get real wind. it was probably about 5-12mph max.

oh yea...love the black and pink and the red and black looks cool also.

bob
http://www.kiteridersllc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

K3rM1t wrote:
When you say 3rd knot, is that starting from the kite side or at the end of the bridle? I'm assuming you're starting from the end and talking about the knot closest to the kite.

Yes he means the knot closest to the kite because he states that otherwise you will get to muts de-power and de-power you will get when you get when you make the stearing-line longer.

These are baby's and see the differance between the 2007 and the 2008 10m2 Thruster.

Did not hit the water yet because its to cold.
-5C :cry1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:11 pm 
Frequent Poster

@kitenb

Con'grats :thumb:

Had mine for a couple of weeks now and I totaly agree with you. Don't forget great control. It's so easy to handle when you're in the air and you always know where the kites going without looking. That took me a while on my old sle kite, but I had it right away on my thruster. What I mean is, that you feel comfortable with the kite at ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

HJ11,
Nice pictures of the kites and the details. Very nice. You did a better job then me.
Happy Holidays and enjoy the kites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:30 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
Happy Holidays and enjoy the kites.

If FedEx is right, tomorrow ill be X mas!

Dimitry, give me some pointers for each kite please. 6mNano, 8,12M Thruster.
I need to know all the little trix since I am demoing them here. I don't want to fu*^ up.

PM me or E mail me. You got my my mail.
Aloha
Marry X mas
Happy New Eclipse !

Post subject: ECLIPSE 08
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:37 am 
Frequent Poster

The one thing about these kites is you cant F up and there are no tricks just remember 1st knot on the front lines and the 3rd knot closest to the kite on the back lines SO SIMPLE A 5 YEAR OLD CAN DO IT

Attachments:
setting_up_kite.jpg
setting_up_kite.jpg [ 158.32 KIB | Viewed 729 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:35 am 
Medium Poster

Is there too much overlap if I order 10 & 12 Thrusters? I'm 170 lbs and typically ride in the SF Bay area. My 12 Rebel was usually my primary kite with a 133 x39 board unless I'm on the coast when I usually fly a 9. I'm switching to Thrusters this year cuz they rock.

Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Fassn8 wrote:
Is there too much overlap if I order 10 & 12 Thrusters? I'm 170 lbs and typically ride in the SF Bay area. My 12 Rebel was usually my primary kite with a 133 x39 board unless I'm on the coast when I usually fly a 9. I'm switching to Thrusters this year cuz they rock.

Any thoughts?

I just got my 8 and 12 and 6 nano.
rode the 12 yesterday, the 8 today. PERFECT. The 6 Nano was great but too light wind for a wakeboard, but was great on a surfboard. Thinking of getting a 10m Nano to complete the quiver.

PS: How come I did not get the kiteFix stuff in my quiver??? Chris?

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next