All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: surfboards epoxy vs polyester
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Well that's one that would be hard to steal, unless reconstituted from dust.
Too bad it wasn't thicker, hhmmmm, or was it..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

not much rocker but nice looking foam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:07 pm 
Rare Poster

several people at my local beach are riding amundson boards mostly with straps. seems to be a mix of epoxy finish and poly boards. anybody have experience with his shapes vs stretch or others?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:17 am 
Rare Poster

Polyester is a category of polymers which contain the ester functional group in their main chain. Although there are many polyesters, the term "polyester" as a specific material most commonly refers to polyethylene terephthalate (PET). Polyesters include naturally-occurring chemicals, such as in the cutin of plant cuticles, as well as synthetics through step-growth polymerization such as polycarbonate and polybutyrate. Natural polyesters and a few synthetic ones are biodegradable, but most synthetic polyesters are not.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

seking wrote:
several people at my local beach are riding amundson boards mostly with straps. seems to be a mix of epoxy finish and poly boards. anybody have experience with his shapes vs stretch or others?

I have an Amundson custom in poly and recommend it 200%
The poly gives an exceptionnal feel compared to naish construction (from 2006) and LF Rawson quad (2008) which feel much stiffer

My best board ever

Frankieboy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:56 am 
Medium Poster

Location: Hayle, UK. Sponsored by North, Ion, Freeriders. www.pastyadventures.co.uk
it all to do with the resin thats all. epoxy & poly boards can feel very different depending on the lay up. generally epoxy boards are better for kiting only as the resin is harder when set but this can make epoxy boards stiffer.
if you get the lay up right you can get the hardness without the stiffness.
check out the new Tokoro Resin8 boards. super tough yet flex much like a poly 4oz surfboard does.
best boards ive tried for kiting and travelling surfboard as nice and tough yet super high performance :bye:
www.resin8usa.com

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:49 pm 
Medium Poster

Epoxy for sure!
There are way more molecules that cross link than polyester.

The core is a big part of the flex characteristics; (which type of foam is used).

All I can say is I’ve ridden a lot of boards, epoxy production and custom poly boards. They both had their upsides and downsides. Epoxy production for durability and Poly for the smooth feel. Poly’s just don’t hold up for strapped jumping (long term).

Woodies; if built correctly can offer a great advantage. My boards are not hollow they have a special foam inside that retain the flex characteristics of the wood bottom and top. These boards can be jumped and will last. They are laid up with E-warp glass and Epoxy Resin.
*Shown is a board in the rough stages and another with epoxy resin.

The ride and feel is unique.

FYI: I don’t want to diss any shapers, scientific approaches or whatever, the woodies truthfully work.

John Bellacera
Bella Vento Boards

Attachments:
HotCoat5.jpg
HotCoat5.jpg [ 107.01 KIB | Viewed 495 times ]
54-Bottom13.jpg
54-Bottom13.jpg [ 126.98 KIB | Viewed 493 times ]
54-Bottom11.jpg
54-Bottom11.jpg [ 155.91 KIB | Viewed 493 times ]
Untitled-14.jpg
Untitled-14.jpg [ 59.27 KIB | Viewed 493 times ]
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:14 am 
Rare Poster

Eskimoe Joe wrote:
Hey Surfing / W.

I like your approach, ,, I built my FIRST kite board, a 6'6" futures finned , thruster, using a similar construction,, 6mm. core -cell in the deck / footstrap area only and a heavy glassing on the bottom and upper nose of the eps. core... 1/8" marine ply stringer.........
The only problem with glass over eps bottoms is; they can't take the landings of big jumps,,, I learned that lesson on my first 8'-6" windsurfer build,,,, the bottom glass wrinkles upon landing, usually on the first jump....
From following your posts over a long period,,,,,,you seem to favor a more purist surf - only style of riding,,,,, and I assume,,, board construction....
Most of the dudes on this site still want to boost jumps, even on a surfboard, and your current construction method won't cut it in that regard....
Please understand, I'm not trying to sound off, in a egotistical manner like some other builders here,,, but I'm speaking from experience,,,, wrinkling the bottom of a perfectly good board is discouraging as well as humbling.........
I strive to build light, but everything has a cost,, I try not to build prototypes , but boards I want to ride for years,, to do this, you have to add composite structure to the core , and unfortunately, weight...
Why do you not carry the airex deck inserts right into the stringer ??... It would support the foot strap inserts better (white board on left) and reduce shear stresses and impact dents caused by the ball of your foot,,,, I don't know about you, but, I've landed quite a few jumps where one of the balls of my feet have impacted first on landing..........
What you do lose with a full- wrap compsand build is flexibility,,,, which your boards definitely have ,, , I'm sure... To counteract this effect somewhat,, I'm starting to use an epoxy additive that increases flexibility... The stuff I'm using increases flexibility up to a cured epoxy elongation as high as 45%,,, we're talking "rubber -like" if you want to add it in a 1 to 1 ratio... I would never go that high, 5 to 10% max.
The resin I use is; MGS, a German aerospace resin manu-f company... The flexibilizer product is called V51.... .Flexibility, with outstanding strength to weight,,, that's what I'd like to work towards,

Better get busy>>>>:)
E.J.

[ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10