Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Switzerland
Favorite Beaches: Italy, Greece, Mauritus,
Gear: F-One Bandit 9 and 13, Carved boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Fatality in El Gouna last week?

Postby Rentner II » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:43 pm

I heard about a tragic kite accident that apparently happened last week in El Gouna. I understand he was a cautious and experienced kiter. Does anybody know more about this accident? Anything we can learn from this?

My condolences to his girl friend and family.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:54 pm

unfortunately it is true.

On January 3rd a fellow Swiss kitesurfer died in El Gouna, Egypt.

Many people eye witnessed this tragic accident, as he was pulled a long way through the lagoon on a looping kite.

Other kites screamed that he should release the QR, and others tried to down the kite, also the rescue couldn't help. Once the kite stopped looping they could only get him out of the water unconscious, or already dead.

The QR was not released.

It would be good to get more info about this, since no one really understands how this could happen.

Condolences to the family and friends.

Toby

si-fly2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby si-fly2 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Very sad, does anyone know if he was conscious as he was dragged ?...was this why he did not release?.

This sport seems to take people in many ways...Take care out there

Si.

bekite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby bekite » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:57 pm

Toby wrote:unfortunately it is true.

On January 3rd a fellow Swiss kitesurfer died in El Gouna, Egypt.

Many people eye witnessed this tragic accident, as he was pulled a long way through the lagoon on a looping kite.

Other kites screamed that he should release the QR, and others tried to down the kite, also the rescue couldn't help. Once the kite stopped looping they could only get him out of the water unconscious, or already dead.

The QR was not released.

It would be good to get more info about this, since no one really understands how this could happen.

Toby
I describe a similar problem in this topic phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2344797&start=10
and I was lucky, more then this guy. After the third loop/jump its difficult to keep yourself calm and the energy goes away because the impact in water is terrible.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:39 pm

I am sorry to hear this confirmed though thank you for the info Toby. I wish what comfort can be found at this tragic time to the kiter's family and friends.

I tried to call over there after I read about this earlier today to learn more but noticed the late hour and decided to hold off until tomorrow. If he was on a flat kite, something that rendered the lines in uneven length may have been responsible (e.g. broken or seized pulley, bridle snagged wing tip, or some other critical tangle, etc.). Learning particulars about the appearance of the kite, lines and control bar after the accident would be very helpful. Also, in addition to the type and size kite what the wind conditions were like would be helpful as well. As I understand, very strong winds aren't common in that area, or am I mistaken in this?

roxygirl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pelzerhaken, Germany
Scharbeutz/Haffkrug, Germany
Favorite Beaches: St.Peter Ording, Germany
Heiligenhafen, Germany
Pepelow, Germany
El Medano, Tenerife
Tavila island, Egypt
Style: prefer waves
Gear: NAISH 2008: 7.5 Cult, 9.0 Cult, 10.5 Cult, 12.0 Cult, 9.0 Helix, 12.0 Helix, 14.0 Helix - also for testing ;-)
Most needed and favorites: 7.5 Cult, 9.0 Helix
Two.AG Aoihana ´07 128x39 / Luxury "Stiletto", F-One Trax ´07 135x39, NAISH Thorn 2008 134, NAISH Sol 2008 140 (also for testing)
Brand Affiliation: ;-)))))))))

Postby roxygirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 pm

RickI wrote:I am sorry to hear this confirmed though thank you for the info Toby. I wish want comfort can be found at this tragic time to the kiter's family and friends.

I tried to call over there after I read about this earlier today to learn more but noticed the late hour and decided to hold off until tomorrow. If he was on a flat kite, something that rendered the lines in uneven length may have been responsible (e.g. broken or seized pulley, bridle snagged wing tip, or some other critical tangle, etc.). Learning particulars about the appearance of the kite, lines and control bar after the accident would be very helpful. Also, in addition to the type and size kite what the wind conditions were like would be helpful as well. As I understand, very strong winds aren't common in that area, or am I mistaken in this?
I do not get yet over it, a Kiter without success reanimates and, in the end, to have to see dying. I´m very sad. :(
My sincere condolences count for his girlfriend, his family and his friends.

I can tell you that nobody really understands how this tragedy could have happened.

Because I wish that it does not come to speculations about the possible accident procedure, I would not like to say at this point a lot in addition, except that during this tragic day wind ruled between about 17 and 23 knots - small a little gusty, but not extremely.

The Kite was 10 m ² C-Shape from 2008, and because I myself have flown a Naish Cult 7.5(62 kg) the Kite elective by the Kiter suited according to the relations.

Only one autopsy can probably clear at last the reason for the cause of death. Maybe even cardiac infarction, unconsciousness after a fall or cervical break???

I wish the members a lot of strength to get over the loss of a beloved person. :(

Take care.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Thank you for writing and I am sorry that you witnessed such a tragic accident. To confirm, it was a C kite with no bridles on the kite (not a flat or BOW kite), correct? Do you have an estimate of the distance and rough speed the kiter was pulled over the water by the looping kite? Would you say the kite was looping at high speed or more gradually? I apologize for these questions but there may be similarities to other severe kiting accidents involving looping kites.

roxygirl
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Pelzerhaken, Germany
Scharbeutz/Haffkrug, Germany
Favorite Beaches: St.Peter Ording, Germany
Heiligenhafen, Germany
Pepelow, Germany
El Medano, Tenerife
Tavila island, Egypt
Style: prefer waves
Gear: NAISH 2008: 7.5 Cult, 9.0 Cult, 10.5 Cult, 12.0 Cult, 9.0 Helix, 12.0 Helix, 14.0 Helix - also for testing ;-)
Most needed and favorites: 7.5 Cult, 9.0 Helix
Two.AG Aoihana ´07 128x39 / Luxury "Stiletto", F-One Trax ´07 135x39, NAISH Thorn 2008 134, NAISH Sol 2008 140 (also for testing)
Brand Affiliation: ;-)))))))))

Postby roxygirl » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:42 pm

Yes Rick, a highdepower C-Shape.

I am sorry not to be able to answer your questions, but I have not seen the accident procedure from the outset, this knows only about reports of the Kiter which were near the accident victim. I had to see merely the recovery of the Kiter and the fruitless revival.

James Bond
Medium Poster

Postby James Bond » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:56 pm

VERY VERY SAD :(
MY THOUGHTS GO OUT TO HIS FAMILY
It does not matter what kite was used, we all take risks enjoying the sport we love, ever we time we go on the water.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:06 pm

true, no matter what kite it would have happened.

roxygirl: can you find out, if someone could see if he was still conscious while he was dragged behind. If not, that would explain why did not release. If yes, then we might look at a person who was no trained to release. That would explain that situation as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”