All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Board Travel Options
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:07 am 
Rare Poster

Overall, I'd say my experience with FedEx Kinkos might bode well for the future, but here's the details: The good news is that I shipped my Jaime XL from a FexEx Kinkos shipping center in Providence to my hotel in Fort Lauderdale for $15. It shipped out three days before my trip and the hotel held it at the concierge. No problems. I had been told that the dimensions of the package were somewhat important as far as price -- not as important as weight but important. I taped up some protection on the edges of the board and basically wrapped some bubble-sheets around it and sheathed it tightly in a single sheet of cardboard. I unscrewed the fins. It wasn't the neatest package due to the bindings, but it was tight and I believe the overall smallness of it contributed to the cheap price(far cheaper than UPS). It seemed to work, but there was a catch. After my weekend in Florida, I headed over to FedKinkos on the way to the airport. (The FedEx Kinkos places are all over the U.S. by the way.) My board was back in its box, wrapped the same way as before with Fex-Ex shipping stickers all over it. But the Floridian Fed-Ex people said it wasn't wrapped "properly" and they wanted $50 to package it to their specifications. (I'll rip into FedEx for this at the end of this e-mail.) I was rather annoyed. So my girlfriend and I headed off to the airport. She checked the "box" on our Delta flight with no problems, but that was just lucky. She's a cutie!!! Anyhow, I'd say the lesson is to unscrew your bindings in addition to your fins. That way you'll be able to pack your board into a very tight, symetrical box and the shipping should be ultra cheap. The light-weight really helps. Also, if you're ready to trust the dingbats at FedEx -- and I'm not sure I am -- they are supposed to hold your box for you at their shipping center pending your arrival. You just need to call them and make sure they know you're coming. The good news is that those centers are all over the U.S. and many of them are open 24 hours, which makes it doable to manage on-the-fly during your vacation. So unless you need your board immediately before and after your trip, I'd say you can ship it Fex-Ex for about $30. That's not too bad. There's no hassle with the golf bag thing, which involves lying. Also, your package is insured while it's in their hands so that's good, too.
So that's all...pending one last item, which might bore you, even though it entertains me tremendously and helps me deal with being hosed by FedEx Kinkos in this one case.
The subject is the screw-you mentality of the Fed-Ex staff at the center in Florida, the people in Lauderdale, just past the Intercoastal and cruise ship terminal. Here on this web-site, where some posts receive thousands and even tens of thousands of hits, I'm hereby criticizing the organizational culture that supported FedEx's selfish, careless attitude. Sure I can understand if the company has standards for how a package must be shipped. But it's horrible form to deem the package ship-worthy in one direction and then try to clip the guy for a $50 shipping fee when he's in a jam on his way to the airport. The conduct deteriorated further when I raised this issue, pointing to the Fed-Ex labels on the package that had already been shipped from Rhode Island to Florida. I was told that Fed-Ex people in Florida aren't responsible for helping to reconcile alleged mistakes made by Fed-Ex people in Rhode Island. So beware of that Lauderdale FedEx office. You're on your own with them. FexEx people wear the same uniform all over the United States, but they're not responsible for each other!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I have flown continental all over the world without paying anything. Are you guys keeping it under 50 pounds?

I usually take a 15/11/7 with a 132 board and come just under 50

Last edited by Eduardo on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:38 am 
Frequent Poster

saintofwind is correct shipping your board FEDEX or UPS is cheaper and you can put insurance on it. I've even gone as far as ordering clothes online and having them delivered the day before I leave to the hotel's address with the managers name. Then I make sure they were delivered and when I arrive I tip the manager ($$$) personally to have the stuff in my room waiting. Then ship it back the cheapest way possible with insurance right before flying back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:02 am 
Rare Poster

Holla,
I am looking for a split surfboard for traveling. anybody heard any good things about the quality of ride?
I mean can it ride waves, jump, go upwind?
Newind has a few. I cannot view website as it is in foreign language
http://www.newind.net/divisibile-splitsurf-3.html
I am 6'1" 225 advanced rider. ride strickly surfboards. Nugget, 5'11" SS Pit, 5'8" North whip
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:05 am 
Rare Poster

Hello
I am looking for a good travel surfboard.
Newind has some, but there site is in a foreign language.
Anyone know how they ride? upwind, waves jump?
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:07 am 
Rare Poster

Hello
I am looking for a good travel surfboard.
Newind has some, but there site is in a foreign language.
Anyone know how they ride? upwind, waves jump?
6'1" 225lb
thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:08 am 
Rare Poster

wow sorry for multiple post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:32 pm 
Frequent Poster

Don't know much about the newind.

However, Nobile is going to release a splittable version of their Infinity in 3 sizes in october.
Same principle as the FlySplit from Flysurfer. Theroretically, the multiple V connection ensures nearly the same weight and stiffness as the non splittable model.

You also have the French split surfboard - 950euros complete - Has been on the market since 2010.
at 03:43 here http://vimeo.com/18968413

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kitesurf-nomad.com%2FPBSCCatalog.asp%3FItmID%3D2523964

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have the Newind board and it's a nice piece of gear. It doesn't feel any different than a one-piece board when you're riding it and I don't feel like I have to go easy on it when jumping, etc. It is only a coulple of ounces heavier than my Underground FLX of roughly the same size. It wasn't cheap, but I use it only when I travel so I'm expecting it to last as long as I can still kite. I figure it saves me $200-$400 per year in luggage costs (depending on how much I travel), so it will pay for itself in 4-5 years.

If anyone is buying the Newind board, you can order any length and width you want, and I even specified the stance width (good to do, becase there's only one set of mounting holes). I found that the tips are much wider than my Underground, so be aware that it could have more volume than you're used to even if you order the same size as another board you have.

I've had 2 trips with it now and I'm very happy with my purchase.

Trod, for good info in english, see http://xtremebigair.com/Newind-Split-KiteBoard-P1069.aspx If you're in the US, order it thru them, Kinsely made the process easier and you're helping out a kiter who's had a rough go in the last few years (search the forum for Kinsley Thomas Wong).

Also see the recent thread for the Flyboard and Nobile split boards soon to be released.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:03 pm 
Rare Poster

What up milts, it is me... You missed a good one at SSB last night.
Anyways Thanks for info.
Thanks Europ2 I am looking for new leads.
HAs anybody rode the new Newind surfboard?

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next