Ok, the repair is finished. Background: I wanted a cheap, used, lightwind kite to use in marginal conditions. I found a 2009 16m LF Havoc on a forum for $100 ($130 with shipping). I figured for that price it would probably need some work. If I lived in a vicinity where I could drop the kite off and have it "professionally" repaired, I might be more apt to do that. But paying for shipping to and from a repair shop adds $50 - $60 to the total cost of the repair, so I have decided to repair my own kites.
When I got the kite, I pumped it up to check it out and noticed that one panel on the canopy had what looked like "road rash" all over it. The rest of the kite was in pretty decent shape save for some pinholes here and there that were easily repaired with sail tape or tear-aid. I could have slapped a bunch of sail tape on the panel that had the "road rash", but I figured it might be fun to try and sew larger repair in place.
Supplies: I ordered a peice of 3/4oz ripstop, a role of 3/8" basting tape, and some v30 thread from sailrite. I used a #14 needle on the sewing machine.
There are two pictures below. The first is a picture of the "road rash" that I'm talking about. It was on a large portion of the panel. The second picture is of the finished repair. In order to keep this post shorter, I took pictures along the way and uploaded them to my picasa account with a description of what I did. Here is the link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1176334861 ... directlink