All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: review of vegas 09 - ( size 12, 9 and 7)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:00 am 
Frequent Poster

Hey guys and girls

Figure i would do a short review of the vegas 09, since i was really strugling wether to buy or not without having tried it. I ended up buying it, just hoping it would be good since I was pretty satisfied with the 08 version.

My level is intermediate - doing UH raleys, back to revert, fronts, grabs, vulcans, small kiteloops in perfect conditions, transitions etc... Trying to learn my first passes, raley to wrapped, back to blind, back to wrapped and the perfect tantrum...

Been riding shitty kites from 04, before i really got into the hole kiting thing, and got 2006 yargas, then the vegas 08´s and now the 09.

Alright so heres the deal about the new 09 vegas - I will try to compare with the 08 vegas

more grunt
slower stering
more bar presure
better relaunch without use of 5. line
less depower

I read somewhere that north stated that it was absurd saying its more of a bow then a ckite, compared to last year. I think this is correct. Its more grunty and better for unhooked tricks, also because the stering is a bit slower. Its still faster compared to slingshot fuel and the torch i think. This is not always a good thing, i prefer slow when unhooked kite low, but fast when i wanna boost. So preferance i guess.

Im a little disapointed that it has less depower then the 08 - still ok, but definte not bow like depower anymore.

overall the 09 vegas is a kite much more directed towards the hardcore freestyle people opposed to the 08 which was much more versatile and easy. I like it, but i do feel like i suffer in those shitty conditions, where im a chicken shit, and just wanna feel more "safe" and go boosting.

Im completely unaffiliated with any company whatsoever by the way.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: review of vegas 09 - ( size 12, 9 and 7)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 am 
Frequent Poster

I find the depower totally sufficient. I was out on a 14M when the winds picked up fri. Probably 20-25knots, and the kite handled it fine. Only shortcomings were my own, as I struggled to land railey and sbends that were HUGE.

I find this kite more user-friendly than the 08, but definitely more powerful. I never trusted my 10M 08 to rise quickly out of the kiteloops, but my 09s are much less prone to unpredictably stalling or backstalling. Really amazing kites.

I do think that they are fully hybrids now, and I'm not sure whether they are a little tougher for handlepasses. So far I think they may have a bit too much pull, but the verdict is out and I will need some weeks to assess.

As far as freeriding and big air, anyone can jump on these 09s and have fun. 08 kite I found tougher to time jumps, and I never got those huge floaty airs that come easy on the 09. And, more importantly for me, when I did go huge, I didn't have the confidence to throw the massive kiteloops that I can with the 09 Vegas.

For me, the Vegas is the perfect kite. I don't think I could've designed something that fits my personal riding style more than this!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:16 am 
Frequent Poster

depower maybe sufficent, but we can agree that theres less than the 08 right?

I think aswell the loops have improved. I dont do them very often, but still if you really wanna do a hardcore loop you should do it with a very different kite i think. Like the torch or the fuel. Looping with the vegas can be fun and all though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:26 am 
Frequent Poster

On the new school setup I think there is limited depower. Maybe on the default setup there is a little less than last year, but still a LOT.
I think this kite is a looping machine. It takes a great kite to feel comfortable throwing big loops on 14M kite. How radical is it - it feels powerful enough, but I'd have to see the video to judge.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:31 am 
Frequent Poster

Oh, and I really thought that this kite was not a great freestyle design until I tried the new school set up. It really works, and makes the bar light and handlepasses easy. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't felt it myself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:26 am 
Frequent Poster

hi again,

will have to give you credit regarding the handle passes, definitely harder - not as much slack. Will try the special freestyle settings too one off these days.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:42 am 
Frequent Poster

The freestyle setting has less depower than the 06 Vegas and Rhino! It rides fully on the frontlines, and pulls like a train even when you drop the bar. Nice thing is that steering takes a ton of input, so the kite just sits there while you throw your tricks. It really is 2 kites in one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:21 pm 
Medium Poster

baller wrote:
The freestyle setting has less depower than the 06 Vegas and Rhino! It rides fully on the frontlines, and pulls like a train even when you drop the bar. Nice thing is that steering takes a ton of input, so the kite just sits there while you throw your tricks. It really is 2 kites in one.

Baller: I fully agree with you, it's really amazing the difference in settings, both do what you expect them to do.

Yesterday we had mega-wind (up to 40knts), i was out on my V'09 7m² in freeride setting, it rocks! Another guy who is used to rebels (08 and 09's) and rides super in waves (strapless) isn't to happy about the new rebel 7 (too powerfull for its size), he tried my vegas thinking it would suck in waves because too orientated towards freestyle, guess what: in the evening he sold his rebels and got vegas 7 and 9!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 am 
Medium Poster

Rebels are way too grunty this year. Got 6m this year to get me through super strong winter winds, but my 08 7m was significantly less powerfull than my new 6m! I can't ride it in same conditions I wasn't even half de-powered on my last year 7m! I'm thinking about switching to Vegas, used to have 07 12m and tried 08 12&14m and liked the feeling. Not sure how are the small sizes...5m, 7m... So keep the reviews coming!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:49 am 
Frequent Poster

I ordered my 7M today

[ 10 posts ]