All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kitekahunas Advanced Kite School in Cape Town
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:25 am 
Rare Poster

Anyone been on this course and able to tell me whether its any good?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kitekahunas Advanced Kite School in Cape Town
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:59 pm 
Rare Poster

If you enjoy financing the chilled beach-bum-lifestyle of the dudes who run this place, then go for it!

For 1700 EURO you get:

- Zero-dedicated instructors that either prefer to mingle with the chicks on the beach or go kiting themselves during the course
- most of the points promised in the course curriculum where not fullfilled without any explanation or even the slightest feeling of shame
- Poor choice of locations for lessons
- Totally overpriced drinks & food (basically be prepared to pay for every little fart)
- bad atmosphere
- admittedly they have a nice house / apartments but that really is the only positive aspect

I never felt more f*****-over in my life before.

Rather go to another guesthouse and get yourself a teacher for 1:1 lesson from one of the numerous schools there. It's cheaper and you are more in control of your holiday and your money. And in the end of the day you'll avoid having the same spoilt holiday as I had.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:54 pm 
Rare Poster

I did the advanced course and felt really cheated at the end.

Out of the eleven days of the course I only got proper water coaching on three days. If there wasn’t a fantastic forecast in the morning they just called bum day and went off to do their own thing – on several of these days the wind came up later (pretty common for Cape Town) and instead of getting coaching we were just left to go riding on our own.

On their website the course looked very complete and promised so many extra benefits (for example, critical analysis of video footage they’ve taken of you). During my course the vast majority of these simply didn’t happen at all and those that did were very low quality.

If you read the KiteKahunas website and think that if you get less than 50% of what is offered you’ll still be happy then go for it. If not, there are plenty of kite orientated B&B or guesthouses in Cape Town for 30-50 Euros a night and plenty of instructors giving one to one advanced coaching for around 30 Euros an hour - you’ll probably not just end up learning a lot more this way but also have enough money left over to buy yourself a new kite for the trip!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Having read the first two replies to your question, I must say I utterly disagree. Possibly the other 2 people caught a time of bad wind (which is rare in Cape Town) and have been disappointed. I had a very good course and also my fellow advanced students where thrilled about both the location and the Kitekahunas team. We have learnt a lot with proper instruction and the Kitekahunas Beach House is fantastic.

So I can recommend these courses ... :bye:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 am 
Rare Poster

Sorry, mate: It wasn't the wind. The course before and after our course felt the same so this is not an isolated opinion but rather the vibe that many people felt.

So do you really think your course was good value for money?? Can't believe it - or you must be a rich dude that doesn't feel the pain :bye:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:44 pm 
Rare Poster

Wouldn't recommend it at all. It is good to hang out in the beachhouse with other kiters from other parts of the world and enjoy Cape Town but I hardly learnt anything. Everything was really disorganized. We got wind on more than half the days so that wasn't an excuse for my group either.

I did a one day session with Jo Wilson coaching here in the UK last month and it was much better. I learnt more in a single session with her and that session only cost me £60! When there was no wind on the original day she moved it to a day when there was with no extra charge - result!

It's a good crack in Cape Town and I enjoyed my time there but don't waste your money on kitekahunas, just go there for a holiday instead...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:31 am 
Rare Poster

That post defending the school is so obviously Wolf from KiteKahunas - the writing style is straight from his website! Not to mention the fact that he's only made one other post and that was a shameless promotion of kitekahunas; I can't believe that anyone who had actually spent their own money there could possibly feel inclined to recommend it let alone engage in active promotion!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:33 pm 
Frequent Poster

The KiteKahunas concept is a good/interesting concept, but due to it prices is definitely not for everyone. Hopefully some of the low quality issues they had this past season will be ironed out for the next season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:01 pm 
Rare Poster

Should you have too much money and you are not seriously interested in improving your kite-style, then Kitekahunas is the right place to stay!

I went there a while ago and left the place earlier than planned, 'cause it was just awful. Did not learn anything, radio-helmets were outdated and did not work most of the time. Neither video-analysis done, nor pictures taken, as they do not have a camera. The muscle-activation training was a bad joke and ended in a sales-pitch for nutrition pills. Teachers and especially the owner, Wolf, were the first ones on the water, interested in having fun, but not in teaching their students. No alternative programme was offered on no-wind days, not even the cable-park, even we had nearly no wind during our stay. And needless to say, we did not get any money back. The owner was incredibly unpolite, erratic, he took every chance he got to touch one of the girls staying there, he steared at us all day long...
One of my mates wanted to learn the handle-pass, well, no-one there being able to teach him, nor any other tricks being described in course G.
Not even 30% of what is being described and offered on Kitekahunas' homepage is being done in reality, be prepared to spend a hell of a lot of extra money.

Kitekahunas is 'advanced racket', but for sure not a professional kite-school.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the Info
any tips for cape town

Thanks

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next