All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ocean Rodeo Mako questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

poldo wrote:
I have 150 2011 and is stiffer than previous foam core.

Now, that surprises me. I thought that one of the main reasons for the wood core was to make the board MORE flexible, so that it would "load and pop" better and be better than the foam core for jumping.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
I think I'm going to pick up a Mako soon ... still having a hard time deciding between 150 or King ...

Unless you are well over 90 kg, the 150 and it's above 12 knots. You've got a Flysurfer, I believe. Great combo!
A modded 150 is my every-day's board. I hardly use my King since I got a 44x150 locally (Thailand) made version of the Mako, also modded.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

alexrider wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
I think I'm going to pick up a Mako soon ... still having a hard time deciding between 150 or King ...

Unless you are well over 90 kg, the 150 and it's above 12 knots. You've got a Flysurfer, I believe. Great combo!
A modded 150 is my every-day's board. I hardly use my King since I got a 44x150 locally (Thailand) made version of the Mako, also modded.

Yes :( that's the wind I want it for. And yes - now a S3 21 is in the post too :D

Oh I saw one of those when I was in Hua Hin Spring 2010 ... looked pretty good - what was the brand name again? ie. is there a webpage?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:09 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
alexrider wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:

Yes :( that's the wind I want it for. And yes - now a S3 21 is in the post too :D
Oh I saw one of those when I was in Hua Hin Spring 2010 ... looked pretty good - what was the brand name again? ie. is there a webpage?

Magnum. I don't think there is a web page. KBA sells them.
It's good but Mike (kite center based in Jomtien), who wanted to improve upon the original did a mistake in my opinion: he's put 4 fins instead of the original Mako's 2; result: chop catches on the front fins when you ride the concave board as it is meant to for best up-wind, i.e. weight more on both feet, but worse, because air seems to be sucked near the rail, it has a tendency to slip (cavitate?). I solved the problem by drilling holes on the center line and installing 7.5 cm fins from my Spleen Zone, and it behave just like my beloved Mako, and as good as the King for low winds.
I am selling my King, btw, which has however still some advantages: it can be set as a mutant and can be ridden strapless. Just a bit big for jumps and travels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

http://www.magnumboards.com/classic.php

That's right, I remember the name now :thumb: I'll stick with the Mako 150 then - thanks for the review :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
http://www.magnumboards.com/classic.php

That's right, I remember the name now :thumb: I'll stick with the Mako 150 then - thanks for the review :D

I didn't know they had a site. I've tried the large Caliber the other day. Great board for light wind and heavy guys, much better than doors in the choppy conditions we have in Thailand. Also more suited than the Mako for light winds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 pm 
Frequent Poster

Telekiter wrote:
Another one that has seen "The Light" :D

/Urban.

I thought I saw the light...but then I tried a Shinn. Smoother through chop...better pop...better boards FULL STOP.

Gintronic pulls the Mako's pants down :butt2:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Jdizzle wrote:
Telekiter wrote:
Another one that has seen "The Light" :D

/Urban.

I thought I saw the light...but then I tried a Shinn. Smoother through chop...better pop...better boards FULL STOP.

Gintronic pulls the Mako's pants down :butt2:

Here is the sales pitch for the Gintronic board. So...which size Gintronic were you comparing to which size Mako?

From my experience, any "little" board flys through chop. The beauty of a Mako is that even the "big" (150 cm) Makos, handle chop very well.... along with handling low wind well, do to it's large size.

"....the Shinn Gintronic defies chop, flies upwind and planes on a summers breeze whilst all the time allowing you to think about what YOU want to do and not what your board ALLOWS you to do.
This board refuses to be categorized, it’s not freestyle and it’s not freeride, can we call it the worlds first funride board?
Directed towards any level of kiter who wants to ride and play, Gintronic fills a previously open slot in the Shinn range - with no strings attached...."

Sizes
126 x 38
128 x 39
130 x 40
133 x 42
136 x 44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:20 pm 
SpaceRacer wrote:
Hi,

Just purchased the 2011 OR Mako 140 after demoing it for two days. Love the board, especially when I got the hang of boosting it. Do you ride it with one fin on each end or do you use the thruster option on one end? I rode it with one and one. How does the thruster option change the dynamics of the board? Also, any tips for maximum boostability?

Thanks,

JP

:angryfire:
Back to the original guestion..to get full boost is to edge up wind and huck your kite...
in mutant mode with the three fins you will have huge grip and will bust so big you will cry for mommie. In mutant mode position the foot straps so your heels are on your preffered strong jumping side.

The Ocean Rodeo boards are the smoothest out there...try one yourself. :cool2:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:06 am 
Frequent Poster

Hi,

So does the thruster option on the 140 X 40 give it more carving grip or will it also give it more ability to pop better too?

jp

[ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next