All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Stoppers…the Good, Bad and Ugly
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

tomatkins wrote:
A new development in kitebar control systems, which for the reason of simplicity, has been designed WITHOUT a "stopper", and this new and clever simple system has triggered the discussion of the actual need for a "stopper".

To many kiters, the idea of not having a "stopper ball" might be a deal-breaker. A stopper is handy for a number of reasons, like spinning the bar, tethered (ghost, dog stake, etc) self-launching, etc... so these kiters may demand a stopper device.. or may reject the whole system, along with the clever innovations based on "simplicity"....

BRM control system

viewtopic.php?t=2385243&p=850425

Sooo, for those that want a "stopper", there may be a simple modification to the system, where the "stopper" would be placed on only one of the two power lines, and secured with the "internal to the rope insert", like Naish used, at one time a few years ago. A LARGE ring or specially designed "funnel tube" would be placed at the junction of the two front lines… and this device would be designed so that the stopper could PASS THROUGH, when the "front line safety" system was activevated. This stopper device could be sold separately and easily assembled, by those who want such a device.

I am reawakening this the "Stoppers… the good, bad and ugly" where a collection of ideas about the subject of "stopper balls" are located to present my thoughts on this modification:

f=1&t=2374480

It may be that the new BRM control system, used with the strutless Cloud kites can be modified to accept a stopper system.

Below are 2 crude drawings showing (1) how I believe the system is set up and (2) how the system may be modified to accomodate a stopper. There may be things that I am not aware of in this system, so all additions and corrections are welcome:

The ring is on the line that goes slack, so it doesn't need to be big as the stopper doesn't have to go through it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ronnie wrote:
tomatkins wrote:
A new development in kitebar control systems, which for the reason of simplicity, has been designed WITHOUT a "stopper", and this new and clever simple system has triggered the discussion of the actual need for a "stopper".

To many kiters, the idea of not having a "stopper ball" might be a deal-breaker. A stopper is handy for a number of reasons, like spinning the bar, tethered (ghost, dog stake, etc) self-launching, etc... so these kiters may demand a stopper device.. or may reject the whole system, along with the clever innovations based on "simplicity"....

BRM control system

Sooo, for those that want a "stopper", there may be a simple modification to the system, where the "stopper" would be placed on only one of the two power lines, and secured with the "internal to the rope insert", like Naish used, at one time a few years ago. A LARGE ring or specially designed "funnel tube" would be placed at the junction of the two front lines… and this device would be designed so that the stopper could PASS THROUGH, when the "front line safety" system was activevated. This stopper device could be sold separately and easily assembled, by those who want such a device.

I am reawakening this the "Stoppers… the good, bad and ugly" where a collection of ideas about the subject of "stopper balls" are located to present my thoughts on this modification:

f=1&t=2374480

It may be that the new BRM control system, used with the strutless Cloud kites can be modified to accept a stopper system.

Below are 2 crude drawings showing (1) how I believe the system is set up and (2) how the system may be modified to accomodate a stopper. There may be things that I am not aware of in this system, so all additions and corrections are welcome:

The ring is on the line that goes slack, so it doesn't need to be big as the stopper doesn't have to go through it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

tomatkins wrote:
ronnie wrote:
tomatkins wrote:

BRM control system

f=1&t=2374480

NOTE...I must EDIT this post to say that my comment below is based an incorrect assumption, and that Ronnie is correct... no need for the extensions, as stated below.

That was a thought I had also, but then the modification kit would have to include more stuff, since, I am assuming that the system as sold, has the minimal length of rope on the second power line... to be assured that the largest kite used with the system, will properly "flag out" on the front line flagging system. Soooo.... the newly added stopper might shorten that line by about a meter or so... and restrict the looseness of the rope... and not allow full flagging of the kite.

So, the accessory stopper kit, would need to include 3 more "extension" items ...(1) a longer
primary power line, (2) two extentions for the rear lines and (3) a longer secondary power line.

Ronnie, these are my first, quickly formulated and "unturned" thoughts on the matter. You are very good at analysing kite devices and systems, so your thoughts on these matters are always appreciated by me and many other members of this forum. Thanks for participating in these "tech" discussions.

I bet we hear from Gregg soon on these matters...

Last edited by tomatkins on Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ronnie wrote:

I just redrew the picture with the ring on the line that goes slack, and that changes everything I said about the system... thanks for pointing that out.... soooo, the stopper ball, if placed on the secondary power line... would not need to pass through the ring. I bet that Gregg took that into consideration... great news! Thanks.

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4