Ranking and Point Allocation Update
The decision to re-instate windsurfing for the 2016 Olympic Games has caused some confusion regarding the point system and event grading systems to be applied for the remainer of 2012 and, more importantly, for 2013 ff.
IKA and ISAF have negotiated throughout various meetings during the past week and have agreed on the following system for the course racing discipline.
For 2012, the ranking system prior to September 1st 2012 will be used to reward riders for their 2012 overall performance. This agreement had been reached already before the Olympic decision. The 2012 ranking will therefore include all events from 01.01.2012 until 31.12.2012, including the European Championship, the World Championship, the South American Championship and the upcoming Sail Melbourne Sailing World Cup. Grading for these events will follow the old, prize money based grading system. The events are graded as follows:
-European Championships: 405 points
- World Championships: 715 points
- South American Championships: 200 points
- Sail Melbourne: 300 points
On January 1st 2013, the old grading and ranking system ceases to apply and the new ranking system as introduced on September 1st 2012 will be the only ranking system. The first event counting for the new ranking is the European Championships 2012, and all events after September 1st 2012 will be re-graded according to the ISAF grading criteria currently used, with some small changes that have been agreed as follows:
200 pointer events:
- IKA World Championship, ISAF Sailing World Championship (if including kiteboarding)
100 pointer events:
- IKA continental championships, ISAF Sailing World Cups (if including kiteboarding)
50 pointer events:
- Other international events (including all kiteboarding tours), ISAF multi-class events (if including kiteboarding, e.g. Eurosaf-events)
20 pointer events:
- One event nominated per paid up IKA member, e.g. national championships
- Event organizers need to apply for event grading in accordance to ISAF grading criteria. Details can be found here and the grading form will be available soon from the secretariat.
The ranking will include every riders best 5 results in the past 12 months (for the 2013 ranking, starting on September 1st 2012).
If major events apply a quota (e.g. world championships, continental championships), places will be assigned on the following base:
- One starting place per applying country for the best rider from that country
- max 10 regional wildcards
- max 5 injury wildcards
- remaining places strictly in order of the position in the world ranking as of close of registration
ISAF and Eurosaf are currently negotiating with the individual event organizers to include kiteboarding in as many events as possible. We will update the event schedule on our website as soon as we have more news and either confirm or delete the respective events.
For further questions, please contact the IKA secretariat directly