*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:49 am 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:22 am
Posts: 111
Location: Comox, BC
Urethane glues ( aquaseal and similar ) can be used with a very generously over-lapping patch, but it all needs to be pretty flat. The problem I've often had with a glued patch is leak testing. You want to pump the bladder up pretty firm to find pinholes, and that's when the glued patch starts to peel.

If the deformed material extends over an edge seam, rarely will TearAid seal well along or over a factory edge seam. Best solution for bladder damage / deformation near an edge seam is to cut out all the deformed material and weld in a patch of new TPU ( thermoplastic polyurathane ).

Welding bladder film is hit or miss, unless you have the right equipment and tooling. Either spend the time to figure it out, or send it to one of the handful of repair centres that offer bladder welding ( Jonnie Eisler in the UK, Dr Tuba in Europe, Jim Haddox / kitebladder.com in the US, Comox Kite Repair in Canada ).


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
Flight Time wrote:
edt wrote:
Tear Aid Type A is used for all plastic repair except for Vinyl. Tear Aid type A is made of polyurethane.

Bladders are polyurethane. Use Tear Aid Type A.

...you MUST cut the mangled part out before applying a new patch.

...Cut out the damaged area, place a paper towel inside measure and cut off tear aid type a, use rubbing alcohol to clean, it wont stick if you forget to clean it, make sure when you apply you get no wrinkles.


Gotcha. Now if I'm getting this right, type A comes in 3 inch wide strips. The area the bladder was damaged in is a nasty stretched out herniated section about 4 inches to a side. The damaged section is really bulged and won't sit flat. If I were to trim this out and make clean sides to it and use a glue product on any wrinkled sections, could I pull the edges in a little bit, being careful to neatly fold any creases, and try to generally make it have enough to grab on to? What glue would be good to fit this purpose?


U need to cut out the ENTIRE bulge. From the sound of it you sound cut out 8 to 10 inches of blader so whatever is left lays flat and doest bulge at all. You may need to use 3 or 4 strips of tear aid to cover the area. Like the other guy said tear air rarely works across a seam and welding is best done on a heat seal machine.

Ps the proper glue is 3m 5200 fast cure but normally its for reseating valves if u get a wrinkle applying tear aid u didn't cut back far enuff or maybe were sloppy.

I suggest u don't use glue at all makes it easier to fix if u have 2 send it 2 a pro


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:46 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:52 am
Posts: 145
Location: Lake Michigan
easy to get the part numbers and then get them from a Cab dealer, just go to the downloads section of the Cab site, http://www.cabrinhakites.com/downloads/product-catalog/overview.html
and download the Product Catalog for the year of your gear. All the spare parts numbers, including bladders are at the back of the catalog.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:23 pm
Posts: 439
Location: drtuba.eu, kite-stuff.org, eXtremist.si, kajtar.si
We @ Dr.Tuba can make all Cabrinha replacement bladders, feel free to send us a mail here.

:bye:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:31 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Venice, Florida
BK wrote:
easy to get the part numbers and then get them from a Cab dealer, just go to the downloads section of the Cab site, http://www.cabrinhakites.com/downloads/product-catalog/overview.html
and download the Product Catalog for the year of your gear. All the spare parts numbers, including bladders are at the back of the catalog.


Hmmph. The only model number for strut bladders is KS1BSB160, even though all the struts are clearly not the same dimentions. How do I differentiate the location of the strut when I call the dealer?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Venice, Florida
I wanted to let you all know about the fantastic shopping experience that I had with Cabrinha. They wen't above and beyond the call of duty in resolving my issue! Here is my conversation with them in it's entirety:

Me:
"Question: I have been looking all over the site, but I can't seem to find a link to actually purchase replacement bladders. The smallest strut on my Switchblade has a major leak, and goes flat in about 5 seconds. I watched the video, and the repair seems straightforward, but I need the actual bladder. Where can I buy it?"

Them, today, 2 weeks later:
"Aloha Matt,
Sorry - but we're not set up to sell direct. You'd need to contact either you local dealer or the main Cabrinha distributor in your own country. They should be able to further assist you. Contact details are below. Please note that OEM strut bladders are not sold individually, but as a set (all 5 in your case). If you would like to only purchase one single bladder, your best bet is to contact www.airtimekite.com to see about ordering an aftermarket version.
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/distributions.html

Best Regards,
Cabrinha Support"


Me, Today:
"Hey that's great. I'm so glad companies don't service what they manufacture and sell these days! I am also extatic that I can't buy exactly what I need, and that I need to pay for 4 things I don't need to get the one that I do need! Thank you so much for the fantastic customer support, the timely response to my question, and the absolute failure to resolve my issue! You can be sure of my loyalty to your brand in the years to come, and I also can assure you that I will always be willing to talk to my fellow kiters about my wonderful experience shopping with Cabrinha! ;)

Aloha!"




Is this ok? Does anyone see anything wrong here? Is this normal?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:31 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
two weeks is unacceptable, but it's hard to get OEM replacement parts unless you talk to your local dealer, that's normal


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:10 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:08 pm
Posts: 400
Location: Venice, Florida
edt wrote:
two weeks is unacceptable, but it's hard to get OEM replacement parts unless you talk to your local dealer, that's normal


Should that be normal? Should I need to buy an entire engine fror my car if the alternator blows?


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Posts: 2247
Location: Ford Lake, Michigan
Flight Time wrote:
edt wrote:
two weeks is unacceptable, but it's hard to get OEM replacement parts unless you talk to your local dealer, that's normal


Should that be normal? Should I need to buy an entire engine fror my car if the alternator blows?


No, but if you call up the Ford Motor Company and ask for a new alternator, they will tell you they don't ship alternators direct from the factory, you have to go to a dealer.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Where is the best place to get Cabrinha bladders?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:53 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:39 pm
Posts: 2908
Flight Time wrote:
I wanted to let you all know about the fantastic shopping experience that I had with Cabrinha. They wen't above and beyond the call of duty in resolving my issue! Here is my conversation with them in it's entirety:

Me:
"Question: I have been looking all over the site, but I can't seem to find a link to actually purchase replacement bladders. The smallest strut on my Switchblade has a major leak, and goes flat in about 5 seconds. I watched the video, and the repair seems straightforward, but I need the actual bladder. Where can I buy it?"

Them, today, 2 weeks later:
"Aloha Matt,
Sorry - but we're not set up to sell direct. You'd need to contact either you local dealer or the main Cabrinha distributor in your own country. They should be able to further assist you. Contact details are below. Please note that OEM strut bladders are not sold individually, but as a set (all 5 in your case). If you would like to only purchase one single bladder, your best bet is to contact www.airtimekite.com to see about ordering an aftermarket version.
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/distributions.html

Best Regards,
Cabrinha Support"


Me, Today:
"Hey that's great. I'm so glad companies don't service what they manufacture and sell these days! I am also extatic that I can't buy exactly what I need, and that I need to pay for 4 things I don't need to get the one that I do need! Thank you so much for the fantastic customer support, the timely response to my question, and the absolute failure to resolve my issue! You can be sure of my loyalty to your brand in the years to come, and I also can assure you that I will always be willing to talk to my fellow kiters about my wonderful experience shopping with Cabrinha! ;)

Aloha!"




Is this ok? Does anyone see anything wrong here? Is this normal?


I think its a kiting thing more than a Cabrinha thing, but I do keep an eye out for Companies that do better on customer service.

When designs settle down, we may be able to get repairs done cheaper, but with things changing so often, its not condusive to keeping lots of spares for older designs.

I have 09 Cabs and a pulley failed. I read that there were bad batches of pulleys that failed but Cabrinha only replaced a pulley after it broke, so I bought all the pulleys myself and replaced and upgraded them at the same time. The 09 bar ends bend if you wind the lines on under any tension and the lines then fall off, so you have to wind them onto the back of the bar in a figure 8 . Not ideal when you have to do an emergency packdown, so I am currently modifying the bar ends using 4 parts cut from a 3 Peaks dog tugger and some Black Witch neoprene adhesive.
At the moment, that's the way I see the kite industry, but if someone comes out with a good design and sticks with it for years, then we hopefully will get the sort of service we would like.


Attachments:
09barend3peaks.jpg
09barend3peaks.jpg [ 1.31 MIB | Viewed 296 times ]
Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alexeyga, darippah, DocDeuce, Icikite, RedStar and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group