Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flydoor4 - Take advantage of every breath of wind

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flydoor4 - Take advantage of every breath of wind

Postby KYLakeKiter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 am

gmb13 wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:This may just be me, but I have an old Cabrina Vari 148 that has a 6 fin (2 in the center) setup. I have tried it many times with all 6 fins on it, and I find the center fins almost useless. They seem to have no upwind improvement, and only have a negative affect on sliding turns.

My buddy has a Spleene Barn Door 159 that is much like this board (no center fins) which works great. I can get upwind on it somewhere just at or above 7kts. (not measured, just below where the whitecaps appear) It is an awesome utility board that gets the job done.

I imagine that this Flydoor will be equally good as it looks like the same type of board (it must be improved somehow), but I wouldn't put much hope in what that center fin will do for you. Sorry, don't mean to be negative. That has just been what I have experienced with the center heelside fins.
Do you think we would put all the extra work into the Center Fin concept if it has no value?

We do a lot of side by side testing and the center fin makes a huge difference upwind and also in comfort when riding.

The Flydoor 4 destroys the Flydoor 3 Upwind in all conditions. The new Fin makes a huge difference. You will notice it instantly when you take it out. You have to edge harder and expend more energy trying to go upwind. With the Fin in it's way easier.

You need to test it. It's not about only getting upwind, it's about doing it fast and comfortably.

--
Gunnar
My bad. You are right. I shouldn't have compared this with old center fin experiences. If people riding the board say it works, then it must be of value, and comparing it to a spleene, just because it is a similar shape and purpose probably doesn't make much sense either since it doesn't have a center fin.

don pitcher
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby don pitcher » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 am

gmb13 wrote:The Flydoor 4 destroys the Flydoor 3 Upwind in all conditions. The new Fin makes a huge difference. You will notice it instantly when you take it out. You have to edge harder and expend more energy trying to go upwind. With the Fin in it's way easier.

You need to test it. It's not about only getting upwind, it's about doing it fast and comfortably.
Does the Flydoor4 have better lowend than Flydoor3? If so, how much difference?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:15 am

don pitcher wrote:
gmb13 wrote:The Flydoor 4 destroys the Flydoor 3 Upwind in all conditions. The new Fin makes a huge difference. You will notice it instantly when you take it out. You have to edge harder and expend more energy trying to go upwind. With the Fin in it's way easier.

Does the Flydoor4 have better lowend than Flydoor3? If so, how much difference?
Hi,

It depends how you define lowend.

If you define low end as how early it planes. Then they are pretty much the same, maybe with a little bias towards the Flydoor4.

If you define low end as how early it goes upwind, then the Flydoor 4 has it my a mile.

--
Gunnar

don pitcher
Frequent Poster

Postby don pitcher » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:42 am

Thanks Gunnar. I appreciate the support.

With that said, you need to do us a favor by convincing Flysurfer to sell 10m and smaller kites with 18m lines and 3m extensions. I miss being able to remove the 3m lines on my smaller kites.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:58 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:41 pm

flyingweasel wrote:
gmb13 wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:This may just be me, but I have an old Cabrina Vari 148 that has a 6 fin (2 in the center) setup. I have tried it many times with all 6 fins on it, and I find the center fins almost useless. ....
Do you think we would put all the extra work into the Center Fin concept if it has no value?

We do a lot of side by side testing and ......

--
Gunnar

ROFPMWL.....

2 Words for you....Jet flaps.

Just like the centre fin a novelty/gimmick/excess whose affects are so indistinguishable to be unable to deem of use or not in relation to their missappropriated use on a kite but add to cost and materials and hoped profit margin / uniqueness and all the associated BS that goes with it.

Thats right.... it must be superior.!!!.. a bit like your self perception perhaps??

Don`t worry... the board looks fine and is no doubt fit for purpose. No need to give it magical attributes....
So you tested the Boards in comparison with and without the fin? And it made no difference?

When did you do this test? Also I would like to hear from the person who you tested together with. As you are obviously are doing something wrong.

But it is strange that such a Flysurfer Hater like you would even buy two of our boards to try. But thanks for the feedback and the investment. :D

Please post the GPS tracks and video from these tests. They should be quite educational. Maybe i can learn some new ways of testing from it.

--
Gunnar

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Hi,

It depends how you define lowend.

If you define low end as how early it planes. Then they are pretty much the same, maybe with a little bias towards the Flydoor4.

If you define low end as how early it goes upwind, then the Flydoor 4 has it my a mile.

--
Gunnar

LOL, it depends how you define....

Great evidence!!!

I am sure you will prove it with your GPS when you have run out of marketing BS

You are not worth the time Gunnar.

Enjoy your youth!

Whatever next? an exciting upwind competition
Upwind is not important to you? :lol: Is that cause you can't go upwind yet. Go buy a Flydoor 4. You really seem to need it. :D

Get off your computer a bit more and go kiting a bit more. I am sure that you will one day be good enough to understand the statements I made about low end. :D If not maybe one of your friends who can actually kite well can explain it to you :rollgrin:

--
Gunnar

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 pm

don pitcher wrote:Thanks Gunnar. I appreciate the support.

With that said, you need to do us a favor by convincing Flysurfer to sell 10m and smaller kites with 18m lines and 3m extensions. I miss being able to remove the 3m lines on my smaller kites.
Thanks for the feedback. We will consider it.

--
Gunnar

Mane
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mane » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 am

hi weasel,

whats your problem?

I know from paragliders that the Jet Flap works pretty well there. Tests were done not only by students but also magazines....they work without any doubt...

cannot judge about the fins, but it seems you can...

cheers,

Otti

Return to “Kitesurfing”