Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please help me in choosing a new kite....

Forum for kitesurfers
BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Please help me in choosing a new kite....

Postby BigPaul » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am

From reading this thread, it looks like there are loads of kites out there that fit the bill.

These are obviously then what a lot of kitesurfers have been asking for. I would say your next question would be budget?

How much do you have to spend?
Do you want new or second hand?
What does you nearest shop sell? This helps with spares and returns etc.
What new kite would fit best with your current quiver?

Where is it that you live? as I'm sure some kite companies would send you a demo kite.

Again good luck

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats

Postby pixelpedro » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:43 pm

flybykite wrote:Yes it boost great but you cannot kill the power after a landing. Huge minus for me! Also has slow non responsive turns. It would not allow me to ride hooligan style as I was always fighting the power just to make transitions. Wind range is also very narrow. Rode the thing about 10 times before I sold it. Edge boosts just as well and allows you to kill power after the landing.
My experience on the NitroV2 comes from an hour demo, but there was decent conditions, normally I'd be on a 12m, I was on a 10m, no problem at all, Not sure about killing the power, since I didn't have any issues at all after a few jumps, can't imagine any issues in this department since the switch bar has plenty of throw allowing for maximum depower.

Regarding turning speed, I mean is not a wainman (which imo are the quickest turners, I've flown anyways) but it wasn't that bad, is not a switchblade slow.

BP/Price-wise worth looking into, At least demoing, good luck!

andrewb44
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, Prea, Taiba
Style: freestyle
Gear: Core

Postby andrewb44 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 am

Thanks for the great feedback.

Just a few comments:

"I don't want any small brands since they can't afford to spend money on r&d and make ridiculous claims"
This means that I will not consider kites from brands like Switch kites, Core kites, Epic Kites etc. (e.g. I tried a Switch Nitro and was crying in agony with the high bar pressure. I've tried an Epic Infinity / Fat Lady. Enough Said. )

I am price sensitive but am more concerned with finding the right kite than finding the best deal, so I would pay a premium for a kite that meet all my criteria.

Kite2Heaven
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The whole coastline of Perth WA
Favorite Beaches: Woodies
Safety Bay 'Pond'
Pelican Point
Lancelin
Augusta
Geraldton
Margaret River
Style: freestyle Wake Surf
Gear: Kites - Naish, Bws Surf, Epic
boards - F-One - Axxis - NBL - Shinn

Postby Kite2Heaven » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:10 am

You best rule out "any" brand that doesnt use a bar stopper also - since your arms are crapped out...

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:39 am

North,Naish,Ozone,all good kites,elbow problems,go naish park,,low bar pressure,good boosting,very crisp feel,handles gusts,great wave kite,its a no drama kite,line attachments,not a problem,middle setting on kite,same at bar,i had north rebels and evo,not as easy on elbows as park,hope this helps TONY

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:50 am

Had elbow problems all last season using Best HP's, replaced them with Switch Elements, haven't had elbow pain since. My main use is bay slop on a directional, work well but unhook and boost too

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 am

Ozone Edge is what you are looking for based on your requirements.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 am

andrewb44 wrote:Thanks for the great feedback.

Just a few comments:

"I don't want any small brands since they can't afford to spend money on r&d and make ridiculous claims"
This means that I will not consider kites from brands like Switch kites, Core kites, Epic Kites etc. (e.g. I tried a Switch Nitro and was crying in agony with the high bar pressure. I've tried an Epic Infinity / Fat Lady. Enough Said. )

I am price sensitive but am more concerned with finding the right kite than finding the best deal, so I would pay a premium for a kite that meet all my criteria.
Andrew,
Was it a Switch nitro Version 1.......if yes, give the version2 a test...and come back wih the result, if it was a version 2 then you have too look further, but l came from Ozone c4 and catalyst...
The new versions from switch have remarkable less barrpressure.
The Switch methods have the most pressure, I fly methods versions one and two..also have an elbow problem and being 58 yo this is not really Going to Improve a lot, but after flying two seaons with the version one methods, the versions two are pretty different.
It also is a matter of pulling the bar so far down till you feel the maximum resistance, there l stop, and pulling any further is overkill, because your kite will not fly better, it has a lot to do with finding the sweet spot of your kite...and not fighting against your kite.

Anyway, good luck with your choise

Dude 8)

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards

Postby DJwilson » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:13 pm

From your criteria - Ozone catalyst. Superb plug and play kite, fantastic all rounder.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

Yes the best thing will be for you to DEMO the kites and see it for yourself and make your own decision about what kite is better for your riding style.
Why do you think I am willing to send EPIC kites demos to people for them to try!!!! That is because I know the out come once they demo the kite... they will want to get one or keep the one they just got. It happens 80% of the time. This is what we are all about. But again you need to test the kites and see which one you like. It's as simple as that.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”