Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

forum for kitesurfers


Slappysan
Frequent Poster
Posts: 411
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:54 am
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby Slappysan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:32 pm

So I took the 2014 Naish Ride 7m out yesterday in 24 knots.

The bridles aren't actually shorter but they are moved up higher on the kite as such they feel much shorter and I don't think there is much worry of a tip getting wrapped.

The kite is fast and jumps well but I found the landings to be quite hard.

I felt a bit under powered on my TT, even with no depower at 72 kg. I was underwhelmed by the power generated from actively flying the kite, it's more sheet and go and as such I think you're better off with plenty of kite size for the wind. As you reach speed the kite starts feeling like it wants to slow down, which is probably a really good thing for beginners but not what I'm used to.

Relaunch is fast and easy ... most of the time. The times it isn't though the kite can be a handful. Twice I had the kite just sit on the surface leading edge upwind on the water. With no centre strut it was content to just sit there flat on the surface. I had to work the back lines a fair bit to get it back around. The first time wasn't too bad but the second time the kite ended up inverting. After that I flew it back to the beach with the lines inverted and decided it wasn't the kite for me.

User avatar
Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:37 pm
Kiting since: 5

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:12 pm

According to the Naish website on the 2014 Ride they flattened the arc a bit more. If so then it will definitely offer better low end, boosting, and fly a little mire forward in your stance which makes getting upwind even easier.

Skywalker510
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:43 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Best nemesis HP 7m 2009; Best kahoona V1 11.5m 2009
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby Skywalker510 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:25 pm

I watched this review on the Ride 1: http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/668/page/345/
at 1:50 a pouch on the kite is shown which contains a "launch line".
So is the Ride 1 recommended to be used with a 5th line for easy relaunch in very light wind?
Does the Ride 2 also come with this "launch line"?

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9319
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:26 am

Skywalker510 wrote:I watched this review on the Ride 1: http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/668/page/345/
at 1:50 a pouch on the kite is shown which contains a "launch line".
So is the Ride 1 recommended to be used with a 5th line for easy relaunch in very light wind?
Does the Ride 2 also come with this "launch line"?


I wouldn't say recommended. You can have it there in ultra light conditions. It is not a traditional 5h line...it follows the backline down from the kite to the bar and it really is not in the way.

rtz
Frequent Poster
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 am
Kiting since: 2010
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby rtz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 am

Appears to be some kites on sale?

Image

http://naishkites.shptron.com/

rtz
Frequent Poster
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:47 am
Kiting since: 2010
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby rtz » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:44 am


Skywalker510
Rare Poster
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:43 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Best nemesis HP 7m 2009; Best kahoona V1 11.5m 2009
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby Skywalker510 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:08 pm

tautologies wrote:
Skywalker510 wrote:I watched this review on the Ride 1: http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/668/page/345/
at 1:50 a pouch on the kite is shown which contains a "launch line".
So is the Ride 1 recommended to be used with a 5th line for easy relaunch in very light wind?
Does the Ride 2 also come with this "launch line"?


I wouldn't say recommended. You can have it there in ultra light conditions. It is not a traditional 5h line...it follows the backline down from the kite to the bar and it really is not in the way.


Is the launch line then supposed to be connected to the same point of the kite where one of the backlines is connected?
If so, what additional effect could this line possibly have compared to pulling the backline itself? Wouldn't it make more sense to connect it to the pump attatchment point?

Does the 2nd Edition also come with this line?

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9319
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish Ride Original vs Gen 2?

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Skywalker510 wrote:

Is the launch line then supposed to be connected to the same point of the kite where one of the backlines is connected?
If so, what additional effect could this line possibly have compared to pulling the backline itself? Wouldn't it make more sense to connect it to the pump attatchment point?

Does the 2nd Edition also come with this line?


Nope check the trailing edge around the strut on the "blue" side. You'll see a little pigtail. That is where the line goes. Then throught the little plastic ring attached to the bungee and then through the little loop on the blue line. When kite is face down and you pull on the extra line it lifts back of the kite up. I really thought it was a gimmick until I tried it...but with the line I can get the kite in relaunch position before there is even wind enough to fly the kite...anyone who has flown the ride knows that is really light.
:thumb: :thumb:
a.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, www.kite-surf.com, Yahoo [Bot] and 32 guests