Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FireWire vanguard ?

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
Rotule
Medium Poster
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Core Xr3 6M,Core Xr3 9M, GTS3 12M and GTS3LW 17M
Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and 5'6" and Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Rotule » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 am

Slappysan wrote:Looks like Naish has a Vanguard copy coming out too now, you can see it in the video for their new kite the Pivot.

So that's:
- slingshot
- LF
- Naish

any others?


Since i have touched and feeled with my fingers the vanguard and the T-rex.

saying that the t-rex is a copy is really not exact.

The T-rex is a regular surfboard with the nose cut. which the vanguard is not. take a good look and touch the hull of this beast and you will understand.

I think Tomo started something but the other brands just profited to copy the principle of the cutted nose... this is not the real feature of the Vanguard, it's his planning hull that makes it so great.

NorCalNomad
Frequent Poster
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 am
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Rotule wrote:
Slappysan wrote:Looks like Naish has a Vanguard copy coming out too now, you can see it in the video for their new kite the Pivot.

So that's:
- slingshot
- LF
- Naish

any others?


Since i have touched and feeled with my fingers the vanguard and the T-rex.

saying that the t-rex is a copy is really not exact.

The T-rex is a regular surfboard with the nose cut. which the vanguard is not. take a good look and touch the hull of this beast and you will understand.

I think Tomo started something but the other brands just profited to copy the principle of the cutted nose... this is not the real feature of the Vanguard, it's his planning hull that makes it so great.


dis right here

User avatar
Rotule
Medium Poster
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:00 pm
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Core Xr3 6M,Core Xr3 9M, GTS3 12M and GTS3LW 17M
Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and 5'6" and Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Rotule » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Ok enough waiting, I just ordered my Vanguard this morning :D

robg
Medium Poster
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:03 am
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: VB VA
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby robg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:45 pm

I started surfing on a 5'6 Vanguard last summer. After over 30 years as a surfer this is probably the best board I have ever ridden. Very fast, catches waves well and turns as sharp as you can manage. You are the limiting factor instead of the board.

I got the 5'2 kite version a few months ago. It kites great and goes upwind at a much sharper angle than most boards. The amazing thing is that I started surfing on it as well. It rode even better than the 5'6 even though it was heavier and stiffer due to the kite construction. I have not ridden a 5'2 surfboard since I was 15 in 1984. This has completely revitalized my surfing.

I am now getting a 5'3 in lighter weight surf construction as my regular surfboard.

Try one and ride it smaller than you think you need. If you get one for surfing you need to go much smaller than you think is possible. I was on a 6'1 as my normal board before this. I am 5'7 and weigh 150lb.

Ignore the copycat boards by the kite companies. They have nothing in common with this board other than the shape of the nose.

felixp
Medium Poster
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:34 am
Kiting since: 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby felixp » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:27 am

robg wrote:I started surfing on a 5'6 Vanguard last summer. After over 30 years as a surfer this is probably the best board I have ever ridden. Very fast, catches waves well and turns as sharp as you can manage. You are the limiting factor instead of the board.

I got the 5'2 kite version a few months ago. It kites great and goes upwind at a much sharper angle than most boards. The amazing thing is that I started surfing on it as well. It rode even better than the 5'6 even though it was heavier and stiffer due to the kite construction. I have not ridden a 5'2 surfboard since I was 15 in 1984. This has completely revitalized my surfing.

I am now getting a 5'3 in lighter weight surf construction as my regular surfboard.

Try one and ride it smaller than you think you need. If you get one for surfing you need to go much smaller than you think is possible. I was on a 6'1 as my normal board before this. I am 5'7 and weigh 150lb.

Ignore the copycat boards by the kite companies. They have nothing in common with this board other than the shape of the nose.


Amen - Lot of guys refuse to believe how small you can go.
Tomo really found some magic here. The ultimate kitesurfing machine.

Ignore the copycat boards by the kite companies. They have nothing in common with this board other than the shape of the nose.

Could not agree more. Huge respect to Tomo and Firewire for the calibration.

Hope more of you get out there and experience the real deal.
Attachments
10450219_739421616110492_8672248691667770537_o.jpg

User avatar
sflinux
Frequent Poster
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:23 pm

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby sflinux » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 am

Hi Felix,
Which size (5'6" [28.8L] or 5'4" [25.9L]) would you recommend for the 200# rider who prefers to ride as small a kite as possible? [My current go to board is 36L]
thanks

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2918
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:25 am
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Westozzy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:36 am

Looked at north pro series for 2015 this year....it's like a cross between one of theses and the old one. Fascinating. Can't wait to have a crack on both...

One thought entered my mind...now those look like 'kite' surf boards...

overhead
Rare Poster
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:30 am
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: North coast cali...
Style: Waves and waves
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Northern California

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby overhead » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:55 pm

Hey SFlinux

I am about your same weight and I ride a 5'4". A good place to start if you can demo. The board is sweet and you may even want to try a 5'2" also.

NorCalNomad
Frequent Poster
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 am
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby NorCalNomad » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:39 am

sflinux wrote:Hi Felix,
Which size (5'6" [28.8L] or 5'4" [25.9L]) would you recommend for the 200# rider who prefers to ride as small a kite as possible? [My current go to board is 36L]
thanks


I'd go with a 5'6". I'm 150# suited and I can regularly surf a 5'5" in SMALL waves (I kept a 5'5" planning on a <1' wave by putting 5 on the nose). So if you want to go to a small kite size the 5'6" of those two would be helpful and still be damn small.

Simair
Rare Poster
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 am
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Zeebrugge
Style: Strapless
Gear: Best Cabo's
Best spacecraft
North whip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: FireWire vanguard ?

Postby Simair » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:12 am

Yesterdag my first session with the vanguard 5'4. fins set up : quad
I'm 92kg.
Straigth onshore 15-17 knots.
flew it with my 12m because i saw that most with a 9 and 10m did not get upwind deeper in sea.
So they all were getting in eachothers way. :D

For me it was no problem to go upwind.
Actually my 9m would also worked but once youre on the water with the vangaurd, you do not want to loose time changing kites :D

I'm so stoked about the board, it's everything you need in a waveboard.
Fast, stable, playfull. quick in turns. gives you such a good surf in the wave.
Sometimes i really was forgetting about the kite when i was down the line in the wave.
This is the board to go, i never want anything else anymore!

Vanguard all the way!! :thumb:


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jaros, MSNbot Media, skideeppow and 9 guests