All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: BodyDragging Upwind in Shallow Water, help please.
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:40 pm 
Medium Poster

I'm guessing you're at goose spit? If so, I don't think that's what your instructor had in mind when they said not to walk back. In that situation, with the wind going over the spit and blowing offshore, if the board is caught in the lee of the spit and isn't drifting downwind at all, then body dragging in 2" of muddy water until you're exhausted is a waste of energy and time. Stand up, get your board, and commence riding!

Body dragging upwind is an important skill to master for sure, but it has its limits. Ultimately it is about getting your board back without needing a leash....and so if it is shallow enough not to need body dragging, and you're tired, then walk back. I have been caught in a situation where the current was opposite direction to the wind, and couldn't close the gap. What worked: body drag to shore, walk upwind 50m, and then body drag back out, voila. Kiting again.

As well, in many hours of body dragging (unfortunately), a couple things learned: 1) depower your kite with trim strap, you will lose less distance downwind on the turns; 2) better to twist over and be on your belly, like superman style, rather than on your side like you're doing sidestroke.

Good luck and have fun!

[Caesar: Teabag is a long time kiter around here....I suspect this is someone borrowing his account]

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:50 pm 
Frequent Poster

rocktor wrote:
edt wrote:

are you kidding me? that sounds incredibly exhausting, no way am I gonna swim I just point at where I wanna go relax and moments later there's the board

swimming is for when you explode the kite

You recover your board so quickly that way though. Remember times when you body drag and miss your board by an inch?

Like most things in kitesurfing what might work for one person does not work for another. I found I was often 20feet max downwind of my board and combining a doggy paddle with the kite pulling me a bit on the edge made getting back to my board ALOT easier. Anyone finding that they sometimes find it hard to get back to their board should try it, or are in shark infested waters :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:12 pm 
Frequent Poster

I alway use the doggy paddle/body drag combo, works pretty well in all but the strongest winds...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:16 pm 
Medium Poster

Hey .just take long tacks out in the deep ... When you get a litle up wind from your board just tack in to the shallow water and retrive it. When you Get the hang of Body dragging ,you will just walk in the shallows.......

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:20 am 
Medium Poster

This has to be a joke thread right? Why the hell would anyone consciously choose to body drag through mud? If you are gonna' take body dragging that seriously then why stop at the muddy edge? Body drag across the beach...then body drag up onto the road...and finally body drag to your parked car.

But have someone open the car door first so you can body drag into the drivers seat.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

^^^ +1

but seriously,
you can body drag through deep mud, where trying to stand up would be a mistake.
Like mud up to your hips. Not good stuff.
Don't know about upwind though...

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3