All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Slingshot Rev 2 or RRD Passion?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:27 pm 
Rare Poster

Hello :)

I have some questions and hope you can help me!
At the moment I`m riding North Rebels in 6, 9 and 14m and I really like them!
But actually I`m getting more into riding waves and therefore (not only) I would prefer a 4 line system. For there is a gap between 9 and 14 I thought I could start the change by putting an 11m in between.

Now I have an offer for a RRD Passion 09 in 11m or Slingshot Rev 2 in 11 and 9m from 2009.

Of course the 11m shouldn`t be my main wave kite, but in general the kitemodel shoul suit for riding waves (small onshore windwaves), so maybe I could get the other sizes too.
I have an Underground Kipuna 5'8" and a Naish Skater 4'8" and weigh about 176lb

I really appreciate light bar pressure, but therefore I think both models should fit?!
And an adjustable or short way for depower.

I heard the Rev 2 was great for waves, do you also think so?
I know these are older kites, but would it still be a good buy?

So which kite do you think would be the better option for me?

Thanks a lot!!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Slingshot Rev 2 or RRD Passion?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:27 am 
Rare Poster

Any opinions to one of these kites?

Post subject: Re: Slingshot Rev 2 or RRD Passion?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have used Rev II's for 5 years now and I keep saying I'm gonna replace them but I don't because they fly so refined. I have them in 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m. I'll put them up against against many modern kites. They are "medium" kites to me. They don't pull too much - i.e. an 11m doesn't pull like a 12m... They relaunch easy. The kites are relatively fast, stable, tons of depower.

I got into the surf side of the sport 3 years ago and now am fairly into it. I'm 165 lbs, 5'8" and ride 3 boards. A North Whip 5'6"for strapped jumping and bigger wind, an Xanadu Wave Rocket Fish Twin Keel 5'7" (but almost 22" wide for light wind and downwinders and small waves), a 5'11" Aviso Doc Thruster for big surf.

These Rev II's loop nicely, drift reasonably well, are just plain a great all-around kite.

Detriments are the depower trim rope below the power can be hard to pull out of the cam cleat in strong wind. You have to peel off downwind to ease the pressure and then pull out and depower/power up.

I have the steering lines tied off to the least bar pressure setting and the pressure seems medium to me. Tried a RRD Obsession 2013 10.5m and that was light bar pressure to me. Rode my buddy's 2012 Cabrinha Switchblade and this was heavy to me. My Revs feel medium...

People say that a more downwind pull is better for the waves. I have demo'd the newer Epic Renegades (not in real waves but the sound side of hatteras) and they sit farther back in the window than my Revs. I like the Renegades a lot but I have become accustomed to my Revs and have no problem ripping up the waves.

All in all the Rev II's are simple clean kites that stand the test of time. Ran into a pro at the REAL swap sale last year and though he rides something else now he raved about the "old" Rev II's and how he thought they were "awesome" kites...

[ 3 posts ]