*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:31 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:56 am
Posts: 72
Hi all,

I'm interested in learning more about the current kiteboard skill model as used by kiteboarding instructors. To give you an example of what I'm looking for, here's an outline of the model in the Canadian ski/snowboard instruction:

Skiing and snowboarding can be viewed in terms of five skills:
Stance&balance: your ability to align your body and balance in fore/aft, lateral, vertical and rotational planes
Pivoting: turning the lower joints (i.e. turning the femurs in hip socket)
Edging: tipping the skis or board onto an edge
Pressure control: managing how much pressure is applied through your skis/board throughout a turn
Timing&coordination: synchronously executing movements, and adapting timing to meet different turn shapes, terrain, conditions, etc.

These skills are derived from snowsport biomechanics, which in turn are derived from physics.

To develop a snowsport participant's skills, in Canada we combine the Canadian technical approach (i.e. developing the skills above) with all mountain tactics, performance tactics, and free tactics. Each of these components can be applied at different skill levels to enable skiers/boarders to develop. For example, we may apply all-mountain tactics with beginners by playing with berms and ridges. For advanced participants, all-mountain tactics can involve bump and tree skiing.

All of the above is expanded upon in great detail in the CSIA/CASI instructor manuals. As both an instructor and participant in skiing/snowboarding, I've found it extremely helpful for my own development to understand the model. Is there a similar reference manual rooted in physics and biomechanics in the kiteboarding world?

edit: I've gathered the impression through watching kiteboarding videos and doing lessons that there are definitely practical "howto" methodologies, but would love to see the framework around kiteboarding as well...


Last edited by Metaphor_ on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Posts: 3615
Location: Japan
Stand on board. Lean back... I think you're over-thinking it ;)


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:26 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 pm
Posts: 358
all those things and more are incorporated into quality kiteboarding lessons


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:23 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:52 am
Posts: 419
Location: Tennessee
Kamikuza wrote:
Stand on board. Lean back... I think you're over-thinking it ;)


I am normally with you on this one, as I personally tend to take a "LeeRoy Jenkins" approach to my progression and just go for it.

That being said, there have been some really good posts on the forum lately from some experienced instructors sharing the methods they have seen work. I look forward to seeing if an instructor or school is using some methodology as described above. These types of posts definitely help me visualize what I want to do prior to hitting the water (in some cases, literally hitting the water :lol: )

Thanks to all the instructors posting good ideas and progression methods. :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:42 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Posts: 1549
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Here is Level 1 of the IKO handbook

Quote:
Discovery - Kiteboarder Level 1 on land (2-4 hours)
Level 1A - Site Selection

Know safe wind directions and conditions for kiting
Know hazards on a spot
Set up a trainer kite
Know the use of safety systems
Carry and handle the kite properly

Level 1B - Basic Piloting

Have basic flying skills with trainer kite
Launch and land the trainer kite with an assistant
Twist and untwist the lines while flying the kite
Walk and change directions while flying the kite
Know the wind window

Level 1C - Control Systems

Set-up a 4/5 line kite with a full de-power system
Pre-flight check of equipment and settings
In flight check of equipment and settings
Pull quick release and activate leash
Understand and use the international communication signals
Launch and land the kite to an assistant and as an assistant (4/5-line de-power kite)

Level 1D - Power Control

Control the kite hooked into the harness
Understand the de-power system and can use the safety systems
Advanced flying skills with the de-power kite
Show full control of de-power systems in flight

Level 1E - Self Landing

Self land
Recover the bar and kite


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:56 am
Posts: 72
Laughingman, that's a good list of tasks or activities, which are important for beginner kiters to be able to complete. That said, I'm looking for more of a whole picture model of skills or competencies that riders develop over time. I assume that riders from beginners through to experts continue working on skills of stance&balance, edging, pressure control, and timing&coordination... not sure if pivoting is recognized as a skill in kiteboarding (i.e. turning the board by turning the femurs in the hip socket).

Surely there's a skills model that can be used with kiteboarders of all levels for assessment and development? I imagine there must be, given that skill-based models are used by instructor associations worldwide in skiing, snowboarding, inline skating and ice skating among others to develop top level talent.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:00 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm
Posts: 1406
Quote:
I assume that riders from beginners through to experts continue working on skills of stance&balance, edging, pressure control, and timing&coordination... not sure if pivoting is recognized as a skill in kiteboarding (i.e. turning the board by turning the femurs in the hip socket).


Nah they just go ride 8) kitesurf instruction pretty much non existent after the beginner/early intermediate phase.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Posts: 3615
Location: Japan
KYLakeKiter wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
Stand on board. Lean back... I think you're over-thinking it ;)


I am normally with you on this one, as I personally tend to take a "LeeRoy Jenkins" approach to my progression and just go for it.

That being said, there have been some really good posts on the forum lately from some experienced instructors sharing the methods they have seen work. I look forward to seeing if an instructor or school is using some methodology as described above. These types of posts definitely help me visualize what I want to do prior to hitting the water (in some cases, literally hitting the water :lol: )

Thanks to all the instructors posting good ideas and progression methods. :thumb:

I'm so glad I googled Leeroy Jenkins! :lol:

Maybe the board gets more important with more progression, but I'm still discovering that kite control is king...


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:02 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 8248
Location: Florida
When will we ever get past focusing on "driving the golf cart" in kiting instruction? There is a lot more to kiting than the basic mechanics of just doing it. Some but not all of the following show up in the IKO Level I outline. What makes for a good launch, a bad one, suitable weather and weather assessment/monitoring, wave and current conditions and how to read conditions at the beach, selecting kite and board size, etc., risk assessment in short, various means of self-rescue, emergency contingencies & common accidents/avoidance, solo launch and landing, hand signals, interacting with other water/beach users and access protection, use of exposure clothing and on and on. A lot of this could be done in lecture independent of wind & weather conditions, put in video, in handouts not demanding a lot of actual class time other than to discuss it and have a Q & A. It is important knowledge instructors have an ethical obligation to impart to students, whether they do it or not.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboard instruction model
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:52 am
Posts: 419
Location: Tennessee
RickI wrote:
When will we ever get past focusing on "driving the golf cart" in kiting instruction? There is a lot more to kiting than the basic mechanics of just doing it. Some but not all of the following show up in the IKO Level I outline. What makes for a good launch, a bad one, suitable weather and weather assessment/monitoring, wave and current conditions and how to read conditions at the beach, selecting kite and board size, etc., risk assessment in short, various means of self-rescue, emergency contingencies & common accidents/avoidance, solo launch and landing, hand signals, interacting with other water/beach users and access protection, use of exposure clothing and on and on. A lot of this could be done in lecture independent of wind & weather conditions, put in video, in handouts not demanding a lot of actual class time other than to discuss it and have a Q & A. It is important knowledge instructors have an ethical obligation to impart to students, whether they do it or not.


No one (ok, no one of average intelligence) questions the fact that the safety topics and basic skills and knowledge you bring up are of the utmost importance in this sport. I read and heed all the safety related topics I can find, and got alot from reading your FKSA information. That being said, the forum is entertaining as well, and "driving the golf cart" is the fun part, and that was what the OP wanted to talk about. I appreciate all your tips and warnings, but its ok to talk about the fun stuff as well.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], felixp, Google [Bot], Kiteus Polaris, pmaggie, ryukyukiter, sijandy and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group