jinxmix
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Equipment advice needed

Postby jinxmix » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:03 am

Hello everyone

About me: I am around 65kg (~145lbs). Around 1,80m (5'11''), slim body type.
I am a beginner kitesurfer and I am seriously considering buying my first owned equipment, and I would appreciate your input on a a few of points.

I am minded towards the new Cabrinha Switchblade 2013, because the reviews have is as extremely easy to use, very versatile, has easy relaunch, and is a good kite to take you from the beginning to intermediate level. I haven't had the opportunity to try it. Do you think it would be a good choice? Would you suggest another option?

In relation to the size: Cabrinha lists the 9m for 15-26kts, and the 10m for 12-23kts.
Cabrihna says these are based on a 75kg (~170lbs) rider. How are these adjusted for me? 65kg (~145lbs).

I will be mainly kitesurfing in Cyprus (e.g. Paramali beach). The average wind on a typical summer day may be anything from say 12-13kts on a calm day to say double that (25kts) on less common windier days, perhaps higher gusts. i would say the summer average would be between 14-18kts.

What do you suggest for my case? I am mainly minded towards the 10m as a lot of reviews say the SB 2013 are not amazing on the low-end of the spectrum.

As a second kite (in the future) perhaps a 7m would complement a 10m kite. (also more useful for stronger winds in autumn/spring)

Another question is in relation to the bar. Cabrinha's standard bars are the 42cm for the 7m and the 48cm for the 10m. (the 8m and the 11m use next size up). Some reviewers suggest that using the next size up bar will make this kite a bit more responsive. Any thoughts on that?

About the board. The kite package i am considering is linked with the new Best Spark Plug. This board is similarly reviewed to be good for an entry to intermediate level, which I think suits my case. Do you think i should be considering something else?

There are two size options (136x41 or 142x42). Which one should i be choosing? Normally the 136x41 would be better suited for someone my weight i.e. 65kg (~145lbs). But, given my inexperience, should I be considering the 142x42?

Sorry for the long-winded email and firing all the questions. This is a big investment for me, and given my inexperience I am full of questions, but I am sure the seasoned kitefurfers in this forum can help me a lot!

Many thanks in advance

jinxmix

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: Equipment advice needed

Postby dyyylan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:21 pm

wind ranges on most companies' websites are a little misleading, they are the range you can ride in, but not necessarily the wind ranges you would want to ride in

I am 1 or 2 kg lighter than you and I had the 2012 switchblades, 12m and 9m. I would ride the 12m from about 10 knots (not able to go upwind until about 12 knots) up to around 20-22 knots just barely hanging on. 9m wind range for me was about 17 or 18 knots to 30ish, though I've ridden it in more than that (again, just barely hanging on).

12-13 knots you aren't going to be able to ride a 10m as your biggest kite with a normal twintip, unless you only do downwinders or like to walk. But a 12 and 9 would be perfect for those ranges

Spark plug is a floppy beginner board, I wouldn't really consider it even though it is cheap. Those sizes are way too big also, for our weight you want something between 130-134 for a normal twintip. Doesn't matter if you're a beginner or not, you'll outgrow a big board like that in a month and it doesn't really help much anyway

You can get some really good deals on last years boards, or a year before. Boards don't change *too* much over the years like kites do, so if you're just looking for the low end price range, I know there are some good deals on 2012 boards for like $200 brand new

jinxmix
Rare Poster

Postby jinxmix » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Thank you for your input dyyylan.

Perhaps i should also consider 11m&8m, instead.
I was thinking smaller as on that beach I don't see many people riding a 12m or bigger in that beach, despite most being heavier than me.
I would appreciate any recommendations on another board, also suitable for my circumstances.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:40 pm

11 and 8 would probably be fine as well, you only really lose 2 or 3 knots of low end, if you're not kiting in 10-13 knots or so thta often, it would probably be better

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:48 pm

jinxmix wrote:Hello everyone

About me: I am around 65kg (~145lbs). Around 1,80m (5'11''), slim body type.
I am a beginner kitesurfer and I am seriously considering buying my first owned equipment, and I would appreciate your input on a a few of points.

I am minded towards the new Cabrinha Switchblade 2013, because the reviews have is as extremely easy to use, very versatile, has easy relaunch, and is a good kite to take you from the beginning to intermediate level. I haven't had the opportunity to try it. Do you think it would be a good choice? Would you suggest another option?

In relation to the size: Cabrinha lists the 9m for 15-26kts, and the 10m for 12-23kts.
Cabrihna says these are based on a 75kg (~170lbs) rider. How are these adjusted for me? 65kg (~145lbs).

I will be mainly kitesurfing in Cyprus (e.g. Paramali beach). The average wind on a typical summer day may be anything from say 12-13kts on a calm day to say double that (25kts) on less common windier days, perhaps higher gusts. i would say the summer average would be between 14-18kts.

What do you suggest for my case? I am mainly minded towards the 10m as a lot of reviews say the SB 2013 are not amazing on the low-end of the spectrum.

As a second kite (in the future) perhaps a 7m would complement a 10m kite. (also more useful for stronger winds in autumn/spring)

Another question is in relation to the bar. Cabrinha's standard bars are the 42cm for the 7m and the 48cm for the 10m. (the 8m and the 11m use next size up). Some reviewers suggest that using the next size up bar will make this kite a bit more responsive. Any thoughts on that?

About the board. The kite package i am considering is linked with the new Best Spark Plug. This board is similarly reviewed to be good for an entry to intermediate level, which I think suits my case. Do you think i should be considering something else?

There are two size options (136x41 or 142x42). Which one should i be choosing? Normally the 136x41 would be better suited for someone my weight i.e. 65kg (~145lbs). But, given my inexperience, should I be considering the 142x42?

Sorry for the long-winded email and firing all the questions. This is a big investment for me, and given my inexperience I am full of questions, but I am sure the seasoned kitefurfers in this forum can help me a lot!

Many thanks in advance

jinxmix
Regarding the board.

It seems to me that the mechanics of going upwind with a TT involve using the edge to create resistance against the kite while still being able to plane (stay on the SURFACE).

Therefore, a LONGER board that puts more edge in the water is advantageous for going upwind, especially in relatively light wind (best for novices).

In this area, it is extremely important (for various reasons) for most novices to be able to EFFECTIVELY go upwind as soon as possible. If being able to maximize your kiting time by being able to go upwind in the largest wind range is important to you, you should consider the larger of the 2 boards you mention.

However, I know nothing about the features of those boards and it is possible that other boards may have a substantial advantage in upwind ability.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

jinxmix
Rare Poster

Postby jinxmix » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:12 am

Thank you! any comments on the kite size?

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !

Postby RichardM » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 pm

jinxmix wrote:Thank you! any comments on the kite size?
you're welcome.

Sorry. Can't help you with the kite size.

Besides the vast number of variables that are, or might be involved, I have very little personal experience with the kites you mentioned. However, even if I had lots of experience with the kites, there are still a vast number of potentially important variables which will, or might, affect your decision.

My best suggestion is, if possible, find local riders, preferably about your weight but not necessarily exclusively near your weight, and pick on their brains as much as possible. It may be helpful to buy them a beer (after they're done kiting).

It might be helpful for you to make a list of what you want (realistically) these kites to do in the best order of importance that you can do in an attempt to get your pickees to concentrate on stuff you want to know (otherwise you might end up discussing graphics).

Try to get them to tell you things they DON'T like about their kites (generally very hard to do as it seems like most kiters will overlook, ignore and not mention flaws etc.) The point is that it's easy to get the hype but the particular problems or potential problems of a particular kite, you tend to find out the hard way. Be aware that it is not impossible for 2 identical kites to react somewhat differently and that each kiter will generally consider the importance of different factors differently. Also it is not impossible for the same model kite to work much better in one size than another, so don't assume that a great 7M will be a great 12M (although it is a better indication that the 12M will be at least good than if it was a bad 7M).

Without meaning to confuse you more, and bearing in mind that I essentially know nothing about the kites you mentioned or what the previous year(s) versions were like, another poster gave good advice regarding buying a not 2013 board (in fact, unlike kites, its ussually OK to buy used boards). The same philosophy often applies to buying kites. last year's model will usually be 25-50% less and a new 2 year old may be 40-70% less than a 2013. Most of the time, if you're on a budget, you'll notice the tax free extra money in your pocket a lot more than any supposed improvements. This is especially true for novices who can't tell how the kite is working to any exacting degree.

And I forgot in my last post to congratulate you on the detail in your post. Detail generally enables much more accurate and meaningful responses compared to someone who posts "what kite should I get".

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:24 am

I have the 2013 11m and weight 70kg. I've flown the kite for almost a year now and love it. It is really forgiving when you want to try new tricks and helps with progression. Only con when comparing to previous switchblades was the reduced low end in 2013. So my 11m low-end compares more to a 10m from previous years. With that in mind if you thought about getting a 10m rather +1 and get an 11m.

Wind range at my local spot is usually 15-20kn then other days 20-30kn. I can get going from 12kn and am comfortable upto 22kn but the sweet spot for me is 17-18kn. It is important to chat to the locals and see what sizes they most often ride. I would initially say that when learning rather start on second hand stuff because you are going to trash your gear learning but the robustness last two years of cabrinha material has improved a lot so they can take a lot more punishment than in the past. I would go for a secondhand longer board to start off with as it will make learning a lot easier then get rid of it in six months time and replace it with something in the 130-134cm range. Or keep the longer board for light wind days.

jinxmix
Rare Poster

Postby jinxmix » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am

Many thanks for your input RichardM and Lanc.

Lanc's comment is really insightful, as he tried the exact same kite and, his bodyweight is similar and and his local spot has similar wind characteristics to mine (mine has 12-13kts up to 17-18kts being an average day in the Summer)

I could really benefit from some more comments from Lanc!

Return to “Kitesurfing”