Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

EpicKites 4G

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: EpicKites 4G

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:01 pm

You guys need to check this review from a kiter who is not even a customer or a team rider. He just rides another brand of kites but had the chance to demo an EPIC kite.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2386599

I have been meaning to write this for a while as I tested the Screamer a couple of months ago in Kos, when the friendly Epic dealer used his formidable powers of persuasion make me try the kite. I did have some preconceived idea’s about how this kite would perform from the considerable hype and pimpin revolving around it. Well, you know what they say about assumption! I unfortunately have limited photo’s of the kite since my go pro with photo’s on the SD went for an impromptu swim in the Aegean Sea.

Bag:
The bag is great, it’s big, the kite fits in it and it has strappy thing perfectly designed for the human being. Comfortable too as proven by this here Greek kite instructor chappy.. Other brands please take note and make a big bag! Nothing is more annoying than rolling your kite an stiffing it into a too small bag after a session..

Bar:
The Epic bar is a 4 line affair with over bar depower and single front line safety, moulded push away QR with suicide ring, adjustable bar length, stopper ball and oh shit handle back up, all finished off in fetching white colour, it is also very difficult to get the wrong way round! The depower is pull pull strap which I personally am not a fan of, but I would much rather take this then under bar depower. Still give me cleat anyday. The QR works fine, I released the kite on it no problems and it is nice and chunky and easy to get grip around. I released the kite in deep water and was able to reload with no problems, although it did go off accidentally when hooking back in and I accidentally released the whole kite, not sure what happened but the leash came off. Can’t beat the feeling of someone else's demo kite drifting out to sea whilst you swim in!! Lucky the dealer didn't see it happen! Sorry Nikos! The bar comes with significant throw but stopper ball is effective and easy to use. Overall the bar is fine and offers absolutely everything you would expect in a modern bar, apart from adustable throw. But it doesn't’t feel as quality as some other brands in your hands to me.

Kite build:
Pump up the Screamer and it inflates quickly with a good one pump system. The kites overall build is excellent, it up there with all the major players, the LE has some very good looking stitching but the TE seems to have been forgotten as it’s just a piece of folded over rip stop. Not sure why that it is considering the effort put into LE, I was told that cones on the rear of the struts reduce flutter and thus it didn't’t need reinforcing. Bridle attachment points are well reinforced and there is some scuff guards on the right places on LE. The canopy is single core rip stop and not the D2 or even 3 core stuff that Core now use, but the kite looks well put together.

In the air:
The Screamer is four line kite with a fairly long pullied bridle, highish aspect ratio, flatish C and a thin leading edge. It is the classic 5 strut layout with what looks like a deep profile. There feels like there is plenty of power on tap but also a large whodge of depower, sheet out fully (as far as my arms could reach) and the kite nearly drops from sky. Sheet in on that long throw and you get a that nice lifty sensation. Bar pressure slightly high, not an arm bleeder but still it’s got a bit of back line pressure. You can feel the kite perfectly through the bar, which to be honest surprised me. I was expecting a front liner with loads of pull through the harness and little feedback. I was very wrong on this point!
When you get to the water a dive from the Screamer and the power comes smooth and nice surge of power comes on, on the upturn there is no loss of power. Sheet out and the kite climbs willingly up the window. This kite likes to be flown, certainly isn’t a sheet n ride yawn fest and feels very C kite like. My first session was slightly under powered which often gives a great idea of how the kite really flies. The screamer whilst offering a far better low end than my Vegas is not a grunty kite. It needs to be worked to get some power into it at the bottom end. But it produces power through the turn so it’s easy to get build power into the kite. The fact it is quite high aspect and yet stays on in the turn is pretty impressive I say.
They say you need at least 3 sessions on kite to really dial into it but for me I felt instantly at home on this kite. Everything just felt familiar, from power delivery to bar feel/pressure. I was able to front/back loop, kite loop and boost with no issues instantly. The kite did catch me out with front loop timing since it’s offers a tonne of float!

Upwind
The kite cranks up wind, highish aspect with loads of depower on the bar allows you to get a good angle into the wind. I am a bit shit upwind as my girlfriend likes to remind me, but this kite really helped!

Boosting
So this is where the hype surrounds this kite and I was very keen to boost on this kite. The first session I was under powered so it’s hard to get an idea of the boosting performance. The second session the wind picked up and a 20kts so I was able to test this…..
Yes.. This kite boosts very well. You just load up and send it C kite style. The lift is fast, not quite as fast as C kite but the float is so long. At least twice that of my Vegas. You can tell that kite wants some wind over it to really perform and with so much depower you could take a large size out and really really boost. I was able to ride the 9m Screamer back to back with my 9m Vegas in just over 20kts. High wise the results were similar but the screamer destroys the Vegas with it’s hangtime. The Vegas gets its height from being so fast up the window, whilst screamer is slightly slower but it’s higher aspect gives that lush hangtime. There is nothing not to love here…

Relaunch
I was able to test the relaunch a few times by stuffing up my front’s due to the extended hang! The kite is true man and comes up off a solid tug.... of the rear line! This isn’t super fast delta kite relaunch but it is sooooo much better than my Vegas!

Unhooked
The chicken loop is a good size to hook back in on and the kite performed well unhooked for me. It sits back enough allow good load n pop. There wasn’t too much issue with having to trim the kite prior to unhooking, this isn’t a grunt machine neither is it high aspect race machine. Just a nicely balanced kite that I could do my not so impressive unhooked stuff on. I cant really comment about slack as I don’t \cant pass but S bends, unhooked fronts\backs, unhooked loops, railys where all a breeze on this kite. I am guessing if you are truly wakestyle then you might be better off on a more dedicated kite but for the weekend twinny unhooker this fits the bill!

Loops
The Screamer is a great looper, the kite cranks round with good power and drives up the window. You have great confidence that it is going to catch up. There is no sign of any stall on the climb that can effect some higher aspect kites. Just really good drive. I did make the mistake of looping it not quite enough wind and having a huge drop out, but that was more me just wanting to give it try! Not much else I can say about this, other than crank it! There are harder loopin kites than this but this has a solid dependable loop.

Overall
I was super impressed by the Screamer, I mean really impressed. This kite has pretty much everything the freeriding twintip rider who wants a bit more than just mowing the lawn and doing the odd leg sticking out jumps wants. Great boosting, great feedback, lovely long hangtime, doesn’t disgrace itself unhooked and drives you try things with confidence it won’t totally spank your ass. Things like backloop kiteloops were lush with extra hang time and smooth but powered loop. The fact I felt instantly at home really helped me form a positive opinion of the kite and I was trying to put my finger on why it felt so familiar, I think I know why. It reminded me of my old 2008 Vegas, only with better float, better relaunch better build and better loops!
I would probably pick up a different bar though, not that there is anything really wrong with the Epic bar, I just think there are slightly more quality bars on the market.
I could replace my Vegas’s with these particularly as I don’t like the sound of the slower full on freestyle Hadlow Vegas and the Dice really doesn't appeal Although I would really like to try one. When it becomes time to change the Screamer will be on top of the list.

Just as a note I have nothing to do with Epic kites, either as team rider or even a customer, I am just an average kiter who really liked this kite as it seemed to fit perfectly to my riding style.

So does it live up to the hype? I think hype is bad thing as it is often very hard to live up to it. The Screamer is an excellent kite but then there are many many excellent kites out there, I whilst I really loved it others may not since kites are so subjective these days. I would thoroughly recommend trying one though, you might like it as much as I did.
[/i]

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Like the last reviewer pointed out is that there are some many good kites on the market these days that it pays to demo as many as possible. Without question, I cannot find another kite that I like as much as the 3G 10m Ltd Screamer. It is my go to kite for winds starting at 15 knots to the point that I cannot depower anymore and have to come in to size down. I don't need to explain to anyone that this kite boosts big but it has gotten a bad rap about being for more experienced riders. This kite can be easily flown by any new rider and has plenty of depower to feel comfortable with. The gust eating abilities of this kite are what really makes this kite shine for me as Northern Ontario winds are all about the gusts. The concept that the wind could be consistent isn't in our perception of normal riding conditions.I own different brands in my quiver and will reach for the 10m before any other kite that I own. My hands down favourite sessions have been on the 10m Screamer and I look forward to the others ones to come....

James

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windsuks » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:25 pm

VersaMount
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Every beach in Michigan
Favorite Beaches: Any beach with wind!
Style: Steezzzyyyy
Gear: Anything that pulls!
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby VersaMount » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:03 pm

We just got back from a week long trip in Hatteras. Every time I head down to the OBX I make sure to get ahold of Dimitri cause he is always more than willing to give us info on the best kite spot for the day and also hook us up with some of the new kites and gear to test out.

We also hung out with Dimitri and Helen at there home a couple days and got to test out the new top secret light wind kite that Epic is working on and also the prototype Renegade 11m. Everyone is in for a big treat with these new kites coming from Epic! We were all very impressed.

Hey D, when are you gonna put that prototype board into production??? That thing is sweet!

Thanks again Dimitri, Helen and all the Epic crew for another memorable Hatteras trip!

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
little current
westbay

Postby soul19 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 am

There is just something special about the fall in Ontario. The vibrant reds, yellows and orange leaves that fill the landscape that just add so much beauty. The weather is still mild and water is starting to cool down that makes wetsuits the gear of choice. It is the stronger winds that really set this season above the rest and so many epic sessions are available to score. It is the time of year that the great lakes offer up the bigger surf and enables the hardy to ride some of the smallest kites in our quivers. My latest session started me lit on my 3G 10m Ltd and every session on this beauty of a kite turns into the one to beat. Hands down the best kite that I have used from this company and truly my go to kite. Racing around linking turns and jumping off the waves that filter in are what makes this sport so addictive. Eventually the fun has to come to an end as pushing any kite beyond its range is just a recipe for disaster. Up goes the 8m Judge kite and it is apparent that this kite delivers. Jumping is completely different than the Screamer but it still hauls around. I have no idea why this kite isn't more popular but it is rock solid. The unfortunate part of this day was not having a smaller kite as once again too much wind....imagine complaining about to much wind :thumb:

James

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:36 am

soul19 wrote:There is just something special about the fall in Ontario. The vibrant reds, yellows and orange leaves that fill the landscape that just add so much beauty. The weather is still mild and water is starting to cool down that makes wetsuits the gear of choice. It is the stronger winds that really set this season above the rest and so many epic sessions are available to score. It is the time of year that the great lakes offer up the bigger surf and enables the hardy to ride some of the smallest kites in our quivers. My latest session started me lit on my 3G 10m Ltd and every session on this beauty of a kite turns into the one to beat. Hands down the best kite that I have used from this company and truly my go to kite. Racing around linking turns and jumping off the waves that filter in are what makes this sport so addictive. Eventually the fun has to come to an end as pushing any kite beyond its range is just a recipe for disaster. Up goes the 8m Judge kite and it is apparent that this kite delivers. Jumping is completely different than the Screamer but it still hauls around. I have no idea why this kite isn't more popular but it is rock solid. The unfortunate part of this day was not having a smaller kite as once again too much wind....imagine complaining about to much wind :thumb:

James
You re missing all the fun .... get a 7m screamer !!!!!
Attachments
75067_10151311305821698_2138613628_n.jpg
75067_10151311305821698_2138613628_n.jpg (52.82 KiB) Viewed 2109 times

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
little current
westbay

Postby soul19 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Nik I couldn't agree with you more! I would have loved to have either the 7m screamer or the 6.5m renegade! One to boost or the other to ride the waves....choices, choices, choices

James

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nikalaitzian » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:53 pm

And some more BIIG FAAT megaloop with the 7m Screamer 4G... :D

Check the height by the kite next :o :naughty: to me

http://youtu.be/bwf0m2xKvKs?list=UUc7WB ... vdY3mTApxg

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster

Postby nikalaitzian » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:56 am

This is what i call "forward drag" from a megaloop....7m 4G Screamer kicks @ss and pulls like nuts!!!!
Attachments
vlcsnap-2014-10-25-11h05m24s135.png

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:13 pm

This video will give you an idea of how much the grown ups did love the JUNIOR PRO 8 & 4m kite. People have to understand that the JUNIOR PRO 4 & 8M are also great kites for adults. Because a kite is a kite but it has to be well designed to perform the way all the EPIC kites perform. What makes these kites good for kids is because of the KIDS BAR. The KIDS BAR has Narrow grip / very small CL / very small throw on the bar and flies on 15 meter lines. So if a grown ups wants to use the JUNIOR PRO 8m he can always do but then he will need to use the normal BAR that comes with all the EPIC kites.

Also you can always use the KIDS BAR on the RENEGADE 6.5 / 9 / 11. SCREAMER 7/9. SURF 5/8. But the rider can't be more then 130 lbs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”